Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers vs Sale - 05 Sep 20

Post by PM76 »

Picking the strongest 23 possible vs. Sale and Saints is a no brainer for me in preparation for Castres, with a genuine 2nd XV playing midweek vs. Wasps (under orders to create selection headaches and earn places of course).

Based on what I’ve seen thus far I’d select:

Genge, Youngs, Cole
Lavanini, Green
Liebenberg, Taufua, Reffell
Youngs, Ford
Scott, Porter
Nadolo, Steward, Potter

Clare (although keen to see what Mamukashvilli can offer), Gigena, Leatigaga, Wells, Wallace, White, Henry, Taute

Lavanini played himself ahead of Wells yesterday for me- it was his best performance for a while. Would be great to beat Sale and Saints to shore up Welford Road a little and be ready for Europe!
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:37 am
trendylfj wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:30 am Agree with the principle of strong team against Sale/Saints in prep for the Castres games. My strong team would be something like
Strongest Squad
15. Steward
14. Nadolo
13. Porter/Taute
12. Scott
11. Potter
10. Ford
9. Youngs

1. Genge
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Wells
5. Green
6. Liebenberg
7. Reffell
8. Taufua

Mamukashvili
Gigena
Leatigaga
Lavanini
Wallace
White
Henry
Porter/Taute
No Henry ?
Bench for me to stretch tired legs - I accept he is beginning to look more like TV every game but feel that Steward is a more secure FB
Hehehehehehehehe
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would also prefer Henry on the bench mainly because if Ford was to get injured rather have the fresh legs at 10.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:16 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:08 am
Crofty wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:09 pm

I reckon he deserves a chance to prove this afternoon wasn't a one off and he's just taken a little longer than you'd like to bed in...
I think there's been a few players across the league, seemingly most at Saints, that have had issues adapting to first team games following the lay off and no real pre season. Lavanini played well against Glaws and was excellent pre lockdown. With the firstborn at home and family a long way away it might have been quite a challenge finding a new normal which won't have helped his form. If he can build in the form Vs Glaws then we'll all be very happy with him once again. I would like to see him in a stronger team as at the minute he's being used to hold up the rotation squad in the set piece which is a tough ask and pretty much a thankless task.
I think Lavanini did play very well against Glaws and agree that he has been given a very tough task of holding up the rotated squad and under the circumstances I do not understand why he has been given so much stick as frankly for me he is currently our best lock.
Agree re Lavanini. I think he has shown a huge 'team spiritedness' if there is such a thing to go out there in mixed up teams, knowing he's one of two or three players who have got to try to hold things together. Can't have been easy and if there was anything of the prima donna in him, he would have got himself injured or red carded after 20 minutes. Once the reinforcements arrive I think he is going to go from strength to strength.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Lavanini is a strong player absolutely no doubt about it.
When the language is overcome with the arrival of players like Moroni and Montoya then Lavanini's full potential will flourish.
Louis

Post by Louis »

I like Lavanini for the reasons others have outlined.

However, and it might be that I am finding "evidence" to support a pre-formed opinion, I think he's a bit of a penalty magnet. He just seems to get on the wrong side of the ref a lot, and now, whenever this happens, my eyes roll. Perhaps I am being unfair. Have I hallucinated his tendency to attract the ire of Sir?
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

That might be right.
His reputation precedes him. His attitude is changing and with that Sirs will look elsewhere.
I'm all for giving him a chance. He has only had one or two poorish games. His attitude against Glouc was better, He does the graft and a workhorse will always get the attention.D Cole was also a penalty magnet especially last season and until the break.
He also, has worked hard to reduce this.
New set ups New era New mindset.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

My team for Sale:
15 Steward
14 Williams
13 Scott
12 Henry
11 Nadolo
10 Ford
9 Youngs

1 Genge
2 Youngs
3 Cole
4 Lavanini
5 Wells (if over head injury)
6 Liebenberg
7 Reffell
8 Taufua

16 Kerr
17 Leatigaga
18 Gigena
19 Green
20 Wallace
21 Smith
22 White
23 Taute
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Centre will be a big call, stick with Taute or give Porter a shot against the big boys? Taute has been solid in defence; against Sale you’ll want a very solid pairing given who they could select at 12/13.

I think Wallace probably tips onto the bench for me if it’s a standard 5:3 split. If we go 6:2 then you’ve a bit more flex, particularly given the style of 6 we’ve been choosing.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Louis wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:10 pm I like Lavanini for the reasons others have outlined.

However, and it might be that I am finding "evidence" to support a pre-formed opinion, I think he's a bit of a penalty magnet. He just seems to get on the wrong side of the ref a lot, and now, whenever this happens, my eyes roll. Perhaps I am being unfair. Have I hallucinated his tendency to attract the ire of Sir?
Having a bright blue scrum cap probably helps "Sir" see him....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Being 6”8 probably helps the refs spot him too...
We all wanted a hard edge Jono style lock. An enforcer, we have one and I am looking forward to seeing him tearing it up.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:16 pm Centre will be a big call, stick with Taute or give Porter a shot against the big boys? Taute has been solid in defence; against Sale you’ll want a very solid pairing given who they could select at 12/13.

I think Wallace probably tips onto the bench for me if it’s a standard 5:3 split. If we go 6:2 then you’ve a bit more flex, particularly given the style of 6 we’ve been choosing.
Porter and Potter both need to improve their defence before being considered for the "1st team".
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:10 pm Being 6”8 probably helps the refs spot him too...
We all wanted a hard edge Jono style lock. An enforcer, we have one and I am looking forward to seeing him tearing it up.
We signed him as we were a soft touch..if he gives a few penalties away so be it.
A positive sign he did an interview with Bondi post match.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

Dokie wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:13 pm My team for Sale:
15 Steward
14 Williams
13 Scott
12 Henry
11 Nadolo
10 Ford
9 Youngs

1 Genge
2 Youngs
3 Cole
4 Lavanini
5 Wells (if over head injury)
6 Liebenberg
7 Reffell
8 Taufua

16 Kerr
17 Leatigaga
18 Gigena
19 Green
20 Wallace
21 Smith
22 White
23 Taute
As much as I want to see more on Henry, I think he’s entitled to a break or at least a game from the bench and I ask so don’t see him as another 12 for us. I’d prefer to see Scott and Porter or Taute. Maybe even SAB if he’s available
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Having a second distributor at 12 might open up our attacking game more and Scott at 13 seems the best option in shutting down Manu. I'm a firm believer in getting our best players on the pitch and when seeing if the Ford/Henry partnership works (also a right/left foot kicking combination), there's not much game time left to try it before Castres. If we don't try it against Sale, it only really leaves the Saints game.