Tommy Reffell

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

happywomble

Tommy Reffell

Post by happywomble »

According to Wales Online, Eddie Jones is considering a shock callup for Tommy Reffell

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... s-18841504

That would ruffle more than a few feathers
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Tommy Reffell

Post by sam16111986 »

Don't think he'll say yes it Eddie does try and get him. Seems a proud Welshman. England have a lot of options in the backrow already.

Having said that Reffell might have seen how Wales have treated Thomas Young and thought he'd rather avoid that. Would be beneficial to us to be capped by England as we'd retain him long term. Short term he's unlikely to be a regular in the England squad.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Having heard his MOTM interview with Bondi, he is very obviously Welsh.
I would doubt he would go against Wales, I think they might be calling sooner than later, it shows how good he is already, Wales eventually are going to have to change their selection policy it just isn't sustainable, they could then ditch one Pro side as well.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I've rated him since I first saw him play and I am sure he has an international future. I hope it turns out to be with England, his adopted home. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Can only hope he continues to progress in the manner he has ; should this be the case , Wales or England (and I would tend to assume the former) a bright international future lies ahead for him .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 am and George Martin!!!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... artin.html
George Martin taking an apprentice spot would be in keeping with previous selections. Allow Eddie and the coaches to get a look at him first hand and talk to him about what they want to see in terms of development.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:31 am
RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 am and George Martin!!!
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... artin.html
George Martin taking an apprentice spot would be in keeping with previous selections. Allow Eddie and the coaches to get a look at him first hand and talk to him about what they want to see in terms of development.
No reason why he couldn’t bring both in as apprentice players. Ties neither into the England set up; that only happens when they get on the pitch. Even Refell would be silly to turn down the chance of training with the best.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

What a refreshing change. We stop bringing in journeymen and go back to our DNA of investing in our own youngsters or taking a risk in emerging young talent elsewhere.

And in a very very short time we have youngsters being seriously (and justifiably) considered by international coaches.

I’m genuinely excited about how are youngsters are now developing. It’s like a fascinating sub plot / journey that is more interesting than whether we win or not at the moment. It brings back memories of our own leaders at the other end of their careers such as Cole and the Young brothers taking their chances.

Utterly brilliant 👍
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Srtill surprises me no one has sued the WRU over Gatland's law, someone playing within the UK should not be banned from playing for Wales simply because their club is in England, same in reverse is also true, I would think the courts would rule those laws illegal restraint of trade
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Doubt that it would get overturned as it is not against the law to not select him for Wales. That rule is part of their selection policy unless you have played a certain number of games. The club game is the bread and butter for most players and they need to decide upon where they want to play and if they want to represent Wales.
Wales would like to have a strong pot for selection playing in Wales and strengthening the club game in the process.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

We shouldn't forget that the emerging talent has come about as a result of good talent spotting and nurturing over a number of years. Give praise where praise is due. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Noggs wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:13 pm We shouldn't forget that the emerging talent has come about as a result of good talent spotting and nurturing over a number of years. Give praise where praise is due. :smt023
The rebuilding of the academy and development pathway was badly needed and has been a resounding success. The club did a very good job there. Seems like we are getting more of a pipeline of talent now.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

This is Bondi’s response, a serious one? I think so...

https://twitter.com/sammdoubleu/status/ ... 66050?s=21
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:21 pm This is Bondi’s response, a serious one? I think so...

https://twitter.com/sammdoubleu/status/ ... 66050?s=21
Unless Bondi is just enjoying another terrible Reffell photo...
To win is not as important as playing with style!