Slowly but surely...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Slowly but surely...

Post by chewbacca »

Its great to see our young players progressing but also for me Tom Youngs looks a man reborn.
I'm not cynical just experienced
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I have to agree, we are showing signs of development and I am very happy with it. The attacking play is still not great but when you think that a number of our key signings, who you would imagine are going to be starting matches, are not even with the club yet and there is even more reason to be hopeful of continued experience at the start of next season.

What I most please about is that, across the board, we seem to now have direction. The last few years have just been a series of knee jerk reactions to management, player signing and the running of the club in general. Now there actually appears to be a plan, which I am not convinced that we have had for quite a while.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Totally agree with the posts and the approach from the tigers. You cant build Rome in a day, but you can slowly set the foundations for something great - which in our case has been the basics that were missing so frequently in the past 2 seasons.

Set piece is very solid, tackling and organisation in defence much improved. The other point is fitness for me - that was a breathless game with some lung bursting phases - and whilst a few were blowing we still managed to get turnovers and stop our line being breached the way it has so often in recent seasons. Last season irish, playing like that, may have had a BP against us.

Slowly, the next phase of the development will begin and we will start to see some attacking plans in place - but it wont happen overnight.

I only hope that patience is shown this weekend with the development XV at Gloucester - although the bench looks strong....
Less is more....
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 am Its great to see our young players progressing but also for me Tom Youngs looks a man reborn.
Absolutely agree, back to the form of his heyday IMO
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I’m coming to the conclusion that our star signing of the last few years is Aled Walters.

We just look fitter (and I haven’t said that for quite a few seasons!). Were even doing kick chases! Incredible achievement in such a short period.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:39 am Its great to see our young players progressing but also for me Tom Youngs looks a man reborn.
Putting people on their backside isn’t he? What we love to see!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:28 pm I’m coming to the conclusion that our star signing of the last few years is Aled Walters.

We just look fitter (and I haven’t said that for quite a few seasons!). Were even doing kick chases! Incredible achievement in such a short period.
Kicks are less aimless though, which does help! I agree though that the signing of Walters was a great move by the club.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
nasher

Post by nasher »

Agreed. Improvements are showing, the coaching team have a plan and it appears to be working. Small steps at first but major improvement. Now address the problem of needlessly kicking away possession.and who knows we will emerge as a major force next season.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Ben Youngs on Nadolos shoulder... wonders never cease :smt023 :smt003
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Noggs wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:34 am The other thing worth a mention is the early showing of the 'young gun' such as Henry, Martin and Steward. The condensing of the schedules has resulted in the need to rely more on such player and they have not been shown to be wanting.

I predict we will continue to win games and will complete the season in a better place than we are now. :smt026
I am a happy clapper but even I am not convinced we will end up higher than we are now this season, given the respective fixtures. However, don't confuse me with a man who cares. I can see progress and I think the coaches are building nicely for the medium to long term
As Good As It Gets
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Some more positives and a derby win against the local rivals.. And what is perhaps even more pleasing to see is the strength in depth we appear to have building with some very impressive individual performances.

The 6N period used to leave us very short-handed, especially in the backs with Youngs Ford Manu May and Holmes potentially missing but I am hoping that this season our team-sheet might look a bit stronger!

15 Freddie Steward
14 Kini Murimurivalu
13 Guy Porter
12 Mattias Moroni
11 Nemani Nadolo
10 Zack Henry
9 Ben White
1 Facundo Gigena
2 Tom Youngs
3 Nephi Leatigaga
4 Tomás Lavanini
5 Calum Green
6 Cyle Brink
7 Jordan Taufua
8 Hanro Liebenberg

Replacements:

16 Charlie Clare
17 Joe Heyes
18 Ryan Bower
19 Blake Enever
20 Jasper Wiese
21 Harry Simmons
22 Tom Hardwick
23 Kobus Van Wyk

Reserves: Potter, Scott, Mamu, Wallace, Wells, Lewis, Martin, Reffell (if not selected by Wales)

Back row and back 3 we seem to be spoiled for choice which is a great dilemma to have. Half backs I think we have great cover with White/Henry, arguably our strongest backup pairing for some time. Front 5 look very strong also and some great options in midfield.

I'm hoping that if we continue the upward trajectory and keep improving from week to week and dare I say it, manage to string a few decent results together next season, the wheels won't come off in the usual fashion when we lose our Internationals for 2 months for the 6N. The Autumn Nations Cup and Rugby Championship will likely be another period where we will lose a few extra but with some decent strength in depth the signs are more positive going in to 2020/21.

Roll on the 20 Nov 20 and the start of the new season.. onwards and upwards!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I'm sure that 6N considerations have had an effect of recruitment and the decision to let the likes of Manu an May move on to new pastures. SB's inside track to Jones thinking re player selection must have been helpful.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

We have found not only quality players, but also a new found desire to take the opposition on with fire and flare.

Maybe Tigers are about to be reborn, as a side to be reckoned with.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

That 6N team is a whole different proposition compared to previous years. No weak link in there, and even the bench looks strong.

We might even look forward to having an advantage during the 6N period next season!
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

i think we will have Cole too - cant see him making another England appearance - not because of form either, just time to move on (in my opinion of course)
Ben Spencer form putting pressure on lenny too - will EJ move on at scrum half leaving BY on 99???
Less is more....