Slowly but surely...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Slowly but surely...

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

It’s only been 3 games but there have been definite signs of improvement. There’s been a new found desire and some great character shown since the restart and although the results haven’t perhaps suggested that I’m trying to look at the bigger picture; preparing for next season!

The lineout - after some of the atrocious lineouts we were subjected to pre-COVID, SB is already working his magic and after 3 games our lineout stats are 53/56 (95%). Martin looks to be a real gem and with Youngs, Mamu, Kerr and Clare I think we are in great shape.

The scrum - Boris continues to work his magic. 15/16 (94%) in the last 3 games and with the likes of Mamu, Wiese and Brink still to feature it’s looking good. The back 3 of Liebenberg Reffell and Taufua seems to be perfectly balanced and with the additions above our scrum should give us a great platform.

The breakdown - Reffell, Taufua, Liebenberg.. even Nadolo getting in on the act! This has been a particularly strong area these last few games and hopefully one that will only continue to improve.

Given how poor we have been for the majority of these last 2 seasons I’m pleased by some of the small steps we are taking in the right direction.

Early days but some promising signs...
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Slowly but surely...

Post by anz3001 »

Here, here!
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

Agreed, Oakham Tiger. Reasons to be cheerful part two.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

100% just because the results haven’t gone our way people seem to ignore that we’ve played immeasurably better than before the break.

Wallace has also been a very astute signing, every time he’s played for Tigers I’ve been very impressed.

With more players to join the squad, plus the new coaching set up, we’ll only get better and improve. Even if we finish in the top 7 for the 20/21 season, that’s still better than the previous two seasons.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:56 pm 100% just because the results haven’t gone our way people seem to ignore that we’ve played immeasurably better than before the break.

Wallace has also been a very astute signing, every time he’s played for Tigers I’ve been very impressed.

With more players to join the squad, plus the new coaching set up, we’ll only get better and improve. Even if we finish in the top 7 for the 20/21 season, that’s still better than the previous two seasons.
I forgot about Wallace but you’re spot on.. what a top signing he’s proving to be :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

Yes I also agree about the improvement. We are seeing different parts of the game getting better without the overall performance being that much better, but I think that will come as the squad spend more time together, the coaches have more time with the squad and the overall cohesiveness and sense of team grows. I also think this period is showing some rising talent which can be woven into the fabric of future matchday squads. The coaching team seem to be going about their work with an eye to building the performance in a sustainable way for next season and beyond, rather than quick wins for the end of this season.
As Good As It Gets
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The attitude has changed immensely.

The players look like they want to be the one making the tackle and are back on their feet immediately.

So different from the past seasons where at times nobody tackled and the players looked at each other as if the other should have done it.

There is a long way to go and likely a player or two to enable us to compete with the better sides but for the first time in a good while I am optimistic we have a coaching set up that has a plan to enable us to get back to the top. (Rather than just wanting to get there)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:45 pm
The breakdown - Reffell, Taufua, Liebenberg.. even Nadolo getting in on the act! This has been a particularly strong area these last few games and hopefully one that will only continue to improve.
First turnover pen last night? Wells, again. Taute like another openside in the centre too. Top work by Brett D.
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Wallace reminds me of Luke Hamilton/ Lachlan Mccaffery never grabs the headlines but will always give you 100% and a 7/10 performance. Hell of a signing!
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Some electric passing v Irish which shows a proper team. This is what I want to shout for at Welford Road.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

brooksey845 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 pm Wallace reminds me of Luke Hamilton/ Lachlan Mccaffery never grabs the headlines but will always give you 100% and a 7/10 performance. Hell of a signing!
More recently reminds me of Guy Thompson!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:21 am
brooksey845 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 pm Wallace reminds me of Luke Hamilton/ Lachlan Mccaffery never grabs the headlines but will always give you 100% and a 7/10 performance. Hell of a signing!
More recently reminds me of Guy Thompson!
Don't think he's got the carrying game of Guy but defensively yes. Wallace proving to be the menace we hoped he would be, turnovers, tackles and big work rate. I like how we've gone back to playing traditional 7s. It's allowing us to really contest everything. With the whole team seemingly working on their breakdown skills the 7 is a nice focal point.

I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Borthwick era. Defensive has improved, lineout massively improved, scrum just the same. Now if we can tighten up the kicking and kick chase, then work on the attack we'll start putting teams away. A TBP went begging Vs LI.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

100% Agree with all.
Tigers are starting to roar again and the claws are out. If we are not (as yet) getting the results teams already know they are in a scrap.
They will not see us as an easy win. That in its self will be a 7 point lead. So the future is bright we are on the up.Now all we need is patience.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The other thing worth a mention is the early showing of the 'young gun' such as Henry, Martin and Steward. The condensing of the schedules has resulted in the need to rely more on such player and they have not been shown to be wanting.

I predict we will continue to win games and will complete the season in a better place than we are now. :smt026
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Great post OakhamTiger32, mostly impressed with our structure and accuracy in defence, the new levels of fitness have to be one of the key factors. Lots of time for more improvement, win or lose it's all so encouraging to see positive foundations being built.