Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

excuse my ignorance but who is Dan Kelly?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:59 pm excuse my ignorance but who is Dan Kelly?
Development Squad Player

https://www.leicestertigers.com/team/development

Ireland Under-20s international Dan Kelly arrived at Tigers in 2020, making the short journey from Loughborough University.

The midfielder, capable of playing at inside and outside centre, was born in Manchester and is both Irish and English qualified.

He was a member of the Sale Sharks Academy from 2017-19 before settling at Loughborough and playing in their National League squad alongside Tigers academy graduates Freddie Steward, Jonny Law and Joe Browning.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Some interesting opinions on here. I fully agree with the posts about how we shouldve handled the rotation,as I've already said. And is Murphy still really in charge?!
https://rugbyrefugees.co.uk/team-news-round-17/
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Great to see so many youngsters getting game time and the experience will do them no harm unless Gloucester do thrash us.
Bath, Exeter and Sarries are the only ones to have got good results with the starting fifteens being very different in away games to their first fifteen; Bath, however did have an impressive bench v Saints which meant they ran away with the game after the”reserves” had held on to 3-3 until just after half time.
Tigers, will I am sure, now target to win all home game and Castre.
For confidence sake it would be great to get an away win and in normal circumstances Gloucester away might, just might, have been a chance with a full squad. Having said that I’ve only seen about 4 wins at Gloucester in the last 20 seasons.
Is anyone else surprised to see how much dear Johnny May is playing despite his head injury!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:15 pm Some interesting opinions on here. I fully agree with the posts about how we shouldve handled the rotation,as I've already said. And is Murphy still really in charge?!
Why dont you apply for job of D.O.R or head coach :smt003
A2O
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:59 pm As much as I like Austin its easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize as he has been doing for the last 4-5 years, Borthwick is a talented and well respected coach so I would like to think he knows what he is doing
Which one has coached at the highest level and been part of a coaching team with one of the best coaches in the world, taking a team to WC final and beating the ABs en route? Well it ain't Austin. Game, set and match. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:15 pm Some interesting opinions on here. I fully agree with the posts about how we shouldve handled the rotation,as I've already said. And is Murphy still really in charge?!
they have been quite clear that Borthwick picks the team and is in charge of on field activities, Murphy is in charge of everything else
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Damn some of those people have fantastical thoughts.

“Is mike ensuring his son isn’t getting a hammering”
Lol

Although if Scott follows it I guess explains a few things.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Shame we are not playing Nadolo against the Glaws. Fully understandable.

But wouldn’t have Nadolo running at May 1v1 been something to savour!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if we can keep it remotely close then unload that bench in the last 30 mins we could come away with the win Sunday
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would of preferred the teams to be mixed a bit to help the less experienced players, but there is an argument over the past few seasons that it hasn't been the youth & fringe players who haven't put a shift in when required
Tigers have everything to gain from this game, Glaws a lot to loose.
I hope Taufua doesn't have to play much he was blowing in the Irish Game after an hour.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

fortysix wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:42 pm Austin is pretty scathing about Leicester in todays Telegraph. His opinion on Borthwicks method of sacrificing games is worth reading. We are the only team not playing any Rugby... and he is 100% correct.
No he's not. He just gets paid to talk. Its his dream job really.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

IMO it's a valid selection policy.
Question if this was preseason and not premiership would people question the selection? (Actually probably)

Players who impressed v Bath was rewarded with games v Irish.
We are not the only team to go A and B despite what some others think it just so happens that our 2nd/3rd choice players are currently young and/or inexperienced on the whole mainly down to us not having what 6/7 players not here that we signed.

It's like people going on about team cohesion it's been 4 games in 2 weeks after what 5 months (21 weeks) off the aim will be first and foremost player management and fitness.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Austin is a long time favourite of mine and many more. I also think he would make a decent backs coach but
snug in the commentary box or at his PC, he is increasingly getting it wrong.

Not everything in his Telegraph article is wrong or without merit but he fails to see the picture from a Tigers point of view, as we are now. A new coaching set up , mostly new players and many youngsters finding their way. All this following the turmoil of a dreadful season and a big clear out. It is obvious we are using the dead rubbers we have left to evaluate the talent available and to build on it. Given where we are, we have a God sent opportunity to test their metal against good sides. I agree that due to our reputation, other clubs are, and will continue to put out, their best teams for a cuedos victory but frankly, it can only be to the good. I don't give a toss if we get spanked as long as it is part of the learning curve.
There is much to admire among the new crop of players and when they are all playing as a cohesive unit (aka a team) I am confident we will be back on top where we all want to be.
A life long Tiger
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ooooooooo people get a hell of a lot touchy when you dare question Tigers.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer