Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Post by Tigerbeat »

The lads will have leant alot in that first thirty minutes and understand what it is like to play at that level. Gloucester were pretty good in that first 30 and used their backs well.
Tigers will lean alot from it and know that they need to concentrate and retain position if they want to make a scuccesful career in the Premiership.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
parkerd1968
Tiger Cub

Post by parkerd1968 »

I spotted Taufua fling his headguard to the floor at the end. I'd like to think a sign of his commitment and desire.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

parkerd1968 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:53 am I spotted Taufua fling his headguard to the floor at the end. I'd like to think a sign of his commitment and desire.
I think he was frustrated that Henry had kicked away position in the 22 and in the last minute when we looked like we might get our 4th try and a bonus point. Real commitment from Taufua, and a good game by Henry, but he just overlooked the last minute chance.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I have to say there seems to be some blinkered views on here.

Gloucs win the game after 30 minutes. Relax for the next 40 and when we get within 7 they get back on it and secure the win easily.

There were some good performances but they only seem to put in decent shifts when the opposition have nothing to play for. I'm not sure we learn that much when the games already gone - let's see how Henry manages a game that is close.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:38 pm
parkerd1968 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:53 am I spotted Taufua fling his headguard to the floor at the end. I'd like to think a sign of his commitment and desire.
I think he was frustrated that Henry had kicked away position in the 22 and in the last minute when we looked like we might get our 4th try and a bonus point. Real commitment from Taufua, and a good game by Henry, but he just overlooked the last minute chance.
These are the things that can be learned.
He has the ability and that's the important thing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I liked the lineout move for the second try.
Pod one (Lavanini, Henderson, Leatigaga) jumper offloads to Pod 2 (Chessum, Taufua, Smith, Gigena) who set up for a dummy maul.
Smith peels off and pops it to Porter (Forward but plenty of teams get away with that v us so not bothered).
Porter nearly scores himself if not for a very good classic wrap round the ankles and don't let go tackle.
Smith follows up and with Clare who wrapped around from hooker to clear out and provide very fast ball.
and Youngs has Taufua ready to take the pop at pace, (With Chessum and Henderson right behind him).

https://youtu.be/Xw-0yeLp3EI?t=215

Considering not 6 months we wouldn't have backed just a standard lineout it shows how far the confidence has risen in it.
Small things but small things can add up.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

This defeat was anticipated, but hopefully was a good learning curve for the youngsters. Learning the hardway is no bad thing, even if it is disapointing
Louis

Post by Louis »

These end of season matches are about getting all first team contenders on the pitch and giving our new coach the opportunity to see just where some of the youngsters are in their development, sometimes more can be learned in adversity than in victory.
From johnthegriff
This is a fortunate period where the Tigers do not have relegation nipping at their heels and can concentrate on getting the squad sorted.
From TigerCam

These ideas hit the nail on the head for me. We have a unique opportunity to try a few things and do so with little/no negative consequence. I understand that teams and fans need wins and similar motivation, but I think we may have a bit of goodwill and understanding in the tank as the last few years have been unsettled to say the least, and the current situation is far from normal business.

Add this to the (seemingly popular...thus far) new broom of Steve Borthwick and I reckon we have an opportunity where little is reasonably expected and much can be gained. Even during losses a team spirit and cohesion can be generated well, look at early wolfpack Sarries and England's Tour from hell periods. Disappointing as taking the L on the score sheet is, as many have noted the flickers of spirit shown in the Glaws match are perhaps the green shoots of recovery (I can't believe I just used that phrase).

Dare I say there are reasons for some optimism even happy clapping during this period?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:52 pm I liked the lineout move for the second try.
Pod one (Lavanini, Henderson, Leatigaga) jumper offloads to Pod 2 (Chessum, Taufua, Smith, Gigena) who set up for a dummy maul.
Smith peels off and pops it to Porter (Forward but plenty of teams get away with that v us so not bothered).
Porter nearly scores himself if not for a very good classic wrap round the ankles and don't let go tackle.
Smith follows up and with Clare who wrapped around from hooker to clear out and provide very fast ball.
and Youngs has Taufua ready to take the pop at pace, (With Chessum and Henderson right behind him).

https://youtu.be/Xw-0yeLp3EI?t=215

Considering not 6 months we wouldn't have backed just a standard lineout it shows how far the confidence has risen in it.
Small things but small things can add up.
Yes a forward pass from Smith to Porter but it’s apples and oranges really, especially considering the first try was a definite forward pass from Gloucester....
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Lavanini lost the ball in contact, which led to a Gloucester try but I’m not sure if it was a rip or a knock-on, conveniently there was never a replay to show it.

But he really stepped up yesterday and played well for most if not all of the game, was very good in close quarters defence and also his very impressive feat of carrying Thorley à la Henson-on-Tait was my favourite moment of the match, a feat made more impressive considering that Thorley is no lightweight!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

No doubt that there is a huge amount of work to do, but some positive signs. The pack is starting to win some collisions, the set piece is improving, and fitness already improving - Lavanini put in an excellent shift. And blooding the youngsters is really paying dividends - looks like 4 or 5 will be in match day squads come Europe and next season. Our recruits look better than in recent years too. And Borthwick and his team could yet turn out to be the best recruitment of all.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:33 pm Lavanini lost the ball in contact, which led to a Gloucester try but I’m not sure if it was a rip or a knock-on, conveniently there was never a replay to show it.

But he really stepped up yesterday and played well for most if not all of the game, was very good in close quarters defence and also his very impressive feat of carrying Thorley à la Henson-on-Tait was my favourite moment of the match, a feat made more impressive considering that Thorley is no lightweight!
Good wasn't it! :smt045
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I think theres a split camp between SB/GM have blown the selection policy upon recommencing the season and that they know exactly what they are doing. I expect as always that the truth lies somewhere in between. 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:38 pm
Tired bodies and tired minds. Like letting the last Glaws try scorer almost unopposed under the sticks instead of keeping him close to the corner and making the conversion difficult.

Had we scored a try at the death, that could have cost us a potential LBP.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:33 pm Lavanini lost the ball in contact, which led to a Gloucester try but I’m not sure if it was a rip or a knock-on, conveniently there was never a replay to show it.

You mean the moment the referee was screaming at him to put the player down at which point he thought it would be a better idea to lift him further. I’m sorry but the mans a liability.