Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Post by JP14 »

How good was Lavanini though, I was impressed by Porter he definitely had a much better game than last week versus Bath, Smith too played well apart from his turnover which sparked the Glaws comeback...

Really disappointed by Olowofela, think we should try Browning instead.

Chessum was quite good too, offers us depth, hopefully his injury isn’t too serious.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I missed the game today, but it sounds sort of similar to the Bath match. No surprises that Tigers looked better when Ford, Youngs and Taufua came on.

Perhaps a few of the youngsters have worked themselves into contention for the first XV and a few of the others are going the opposite direction.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

As pleased as I have been with Clare’s recent performances, I am disappointed somewhat that Kerr is yet to step up.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I thought we would have problems with our starting line up. We did. Against a strong Glouc team.
SB made the change to get some direction and order into our game and it was. Lesson - we cannot solely rely on all the youngsters at this present time.
I thought we fought back well and as others have stated prevented a 50 pointer. Pity we couldn't get the bonus point but hey I'll take that learning curve.
Scivington post match highlighted the growth being made at Tigers and gave us credit for our effort. High praise.
Yes I was seeing Glouc pinged into their half and getting frustrated. Exempting the two or three late penalties they were made to look embarrassed. I do not believe it was because Glouc took their eye off the ball. They were just out played.
Heavens to Betsie if we fielded our first XV. What havack we could bring.
A change up for Lavanini. a drop down for Olewofela. Looked off the pace and fluffy in defence. Big plus Potter and Henry who are showing true class. SB for having the bottle/good instinct to change early.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I’m really not seeing the hype around Lavanini?

I’m not hear to argue but in my opinion it was another performed were he offered very little to forward, his defense was woeful and his discipline in reckless at times.

Personally counting the days until the end of his contract.
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

sapajo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:59 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:56 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:53 pm

Been doing it for the last 2 seasons and yet we still persist with it :smt009
It doesn't help we have a half decent chase that don't want to go up and compete for the ball. You've got to get airborne and get stuck into the guy receiving it.

I've defended him a lot on here but Owolfela doesn't look like he wants to be there. He's got to show more hunger.

We are defending too narrow and are getting picked off outside.
Agree about Owolfela, I simply cannot see what strengths he brings ?
Owolefala is no more a Tiger than I am. He shows no real effort and lacks cojones defensively. Grow a pair rapidly or go!
tigerssteve

Post by tigerssteve »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:10 pm Let's hope this makes Murphy and SB learn their lesson as regards to selection. I hope so!
Learning lessons is exactly why the selection was made! That and preparing for Europe.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Certainly not going overboard about a loss.There were however glimpses from the youngsters and we certainly hung in there.However the number of points conceded cannot be mitigated against.Progress but let us please keep things realistic and in perspective.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

chipnchase wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:47 am I’m really not seeing the hype around Lavanini?

I’m not hear to argue but in my opinion it was another performed were he offered very little to forward, his defense was woeful and his discipline in reckless at times.

Personally counting the days until the end of his contract.
One of our best players pre lockdown and played well yesterday. Took lineouts under pressure, couple of big hits. Gave I think one penalty away and one knock on in the Glaws 22. Seems to be playing his way back into form. Personally I hope we see him for a few more years yet.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

These end of season matches are about getting all first team contenders on the pitch and giving our new coach the opportunity to see just where some of the youngsters are in their development, sometimes more can be learned in adversity than in victory. I thought the pack selected had an unbalanced back row yet Smith and Chessum (normally a lock) as individuals had good games and never gave up, Henderson when he came on did well too. I don't understand why some don't see that Lavanini played well and some question his discipline and I am not sure why our penalty count yesterday was minimal.
Bringing on three quality players made a massive difference to us, when eventually we are able to select our strongest team for each match we will be in a very good position and should be able to rotate without damaging the team greatly, except possibly at 10 but even there the gap in quality may not be as great as in previous years.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:42 am These end of season matches are about getting all first team contenders on the pitch and giving our new coach the opportunity to see just where some of the youngsters are in their development, sometimes more can be learned in adversity than in victory. I thought the pack selected had an unbalanced back row yet Smith and Chessum (normally a lock) as individuals had good games and never gave up, Henderson when he came on did well too. I don't understand why some don't see that Lavanini played well and some question his discipline and I am not sure why our penalty count yesterday was minimal.
Bringing on three quality players made a massive difference to us, when eventually we are able to select our strongest team for each match we will be in a very good position and should be able to rotate without damaging the team greatly, except possibly at 10 but even there the gap in quality may not be as great as in previous years.
Agree all round. If anything I'd be worried if I was a Glaws supporter. Something close to a first team against a Tigers 2nd / 3rd team in the first half with a brand new coaching set up that has inherited a total mess. When you think of the talent that wasn't playing, isn't available yet to SB.

We will not win the Premiership next year, but I am absolutely confident that for the first time in two / three years we will be competitive. We won't give up at the 35 minute mark.

In the last few years when has any Tigers supporter been confident that we might catch our own line out ball. And as for catching a line out from an attacking five metre position and doing something intelligent with it ...... well this has been the stuff of mirages and dreams. Patience and Humility.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

This is a fortunate period where the Tigers do not have relegation nipping at their heels and can concentrate on getting the squad sorted. Yesterday's first half was a really good bench-mark of what the younger players need to experience. The work-rate was good and heads did not drop - 'the grunt' is back. The tactical change of bringing on "generals" changed the whole dynamic and made Glaws look second-rate for 30-35 minutes of the second 40. While one or two Tigers failed, IMO, to meet the challenge most did and they should have come away disappointed in not getting at least the LBP. I like what I see. IMO what has been missing for many a season and that is 'the drive'. That is not a "Cocker's" drive either. Instead of a XV talented individuals playing a splintered game it appears to me to be a better 'work ethic' team wise? The lineout is becoming a real weapon and energy that comes of that can only build more confidence. Lord Vader has laid down his marker and if the squad respond as well as they do now I do see the play-offs being a realistic goal next season
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

johnthegriff wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:42 am These end of season matches are about getting all first team contenders on the pitch and giving our new coach the opportunity to see just where some of the youngsters are in their development, sometimes more can be learned in adversity than in victory. I thought the pack selected had an unbalanced back row yet Smith and Chessum (normally a lock) as individuals had good games and never gave up, Henderson when he came on did well too. I don't understand why some don't see that Lavanini played well and some question his discipline and I am not sure why our penalty count yesterday was minimal.
Exactly!
Semper in excretia
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I thought that Tuafua and Henry were the Leicester stand outs.
Both made things happen.
Acceleration, footwork, vision, strength, self belief, desire etc.
Big new positive for me was Henry.
I didn't have a problem with selection and thought a weakened Leicester side might surprise as Gloucester are an inconsistent side but Gloucester were given far too much time and space by Leicester in the first half.
You've got to be committed, put pressure on and hit midriffs.
Stand off at this level and you just get torn apart, it doesn't matter if you get knocked over what matters is you gave it everything.
Thorley is a menace and I mean that as a compliment.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

It’s been said on here many times but this is going to be a long process. Ok, it looks like we’ve got a squad that want to play for the badge, that are fit (and will get fitter), that have the desire and necessary physicality. To build something like Exeter or Saracens have it will take maybe 4 years, to get to a point where we are challenging for trophies. Look at Exeter in Europe. It’s taken them several shots to reach the knockout stages ! We’re at the start of that journey. So complaining about selection is a bit pointless given where we are.

Look at the players who have come in and done well. Martin, Clare, Chessum, Porter, Potter, Henry etc....these are the guys who we will rely on when our internationals are away. Are they good enough to win games during the 6 Nations ? Maybe not yet but this is where we need to get to. Tigers always had those players who could do a job when Johnno, Back etc were away. That’s a further step forward.

Having said all that, I’ve never enjoyed a loss as much as that one yesterday. At half time, wondering how bad it would be, to being in a position with that fight back, to win the game. Forward pass for the Simpson try, they looked at it ....apparently. The Gloucester faces at the end told a story. We’re slowly on our way back.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.