Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Gloucester vs. Tigers - Sun 30 Aug 20 (1630)

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:55 pm Ooooooooo people get a hell of a lot touchy when you dare question Tigers.
As do others when their personal opinions are challenged......just putting that out there too. :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean I get questioning the rotation decision.
But to suggest that Mike ford is trying to make sure his son isn't on the receiving end of a hammering is laughable.

Also the point stands other teams are doing despite what people are thinking, the only reason why Tigers look considerably weaker is mainly down to missing 6/7 senior players. Look at Gloucester's team v Saracens and tell me that was a mixed team it was a B with LRZ.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

speaking of pundits does anyone know why Andy Goode seems to have a personal dislike of George Ford and resentment towards Tigers
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:08 pm speaking of pundits does anyone know why Andy Goode seems to have a personal dislike of George Ford and resentment towards Tigers
Simple
Hates Mike Ford
Is on the books for Wasps
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Smudge wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:51 pm Austin is a long time favourite of mine and many more. I also think he would make a decent backs coach but
snug in the commentary box or at his PC, he is increasingly getting it wrong.

Not everything in his Telegraph article is wrong or without merit but he fails to see the picture from a Tigers point of view, as we are now. A new coaching set up , mostly new players and many youngsters finding their way. All this following the turmoil of a dreadful season and a big clear out. It is obvious we are using the dead rubbers we have left to evaluate the talent available and to build on it. Given where we are, we have a God sent opportunity to test their metal against good sides. I agree that due to our reputation, other clubs are, and will continue to put out, their best teams for a cuedos victory but frankly, it can only be to the good. I don't give a toss if we get spanked as long as it is part of the learning curve.
There is much to admire among the new crop of players and when they are all playing as a cohesive unit (aka a team) I am confident we will be back on top where we all want to be.
Agreed.

Aus is very entertaining but is best sticking at what he is doing in the media. Because he has an opinion doesn't mean we have to share it.

SB is spot on in his approach and it is exciting to see some of the young talent perform against experienced opposition. They need this type of experience if they are to perform in games where there is more at stake than just bragging rights.

I also share the regret that Nadolo isn't playing but no doubt we will get to see a one on one with May in due course. Again, something to look forward to.

I look forward to Sunday; you never know. :smt031
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
cheltexile

Post by cheltexile »

Andy Goode is an insufferable bore so I wouldn't pay much attention to be honest.
Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Faulks04 »

We need to remember there are more players arriving . There are many negatives and some positives from the continuation of the season . The basics of the game have been good , line out a particular improvement and Selection process has given everyone a game more or less . Players have stepped up , Martin ,Reffell, leatigaga and Wells in particular and those players are performing well in a team usually being beaten so bodes well for the future, I honestly think short term pain but in the long term a huge gain . If they go down on Sunday then aslong as they go down fighting I’ll be happy.its early days in the new look Leicester tigers era.im not Going to jump the gun and judge them till 12-18 months time when borthwick has had time . Post corona I’m just glad to watch rugby again and watch the team I love
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Dallaglio? Monye? Healey? Kay? Goode?
I thought "Pundit" meant "Wise man"?

Just saying! 😂😂
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

What's the point of us playing the last few games of the season if not to give game time to some of the promising younger players, try and develop a team structure that players can be brought into during the internationals and covering injuries.

This is a new team with a new coach and I suspect he wan't to know who has got what he wants for the team for himself rather than past reputation.

Some of those youngsters look to be serious prospects. You don't go from prospect to star player by watching and without playing at higher levels. These games are a real opportunity for them to gain experience without compromising the team if found wanting. And if they find their feet they might be the difference between getting into Europe or the play offs come the ned of next season. Sure, not all of those will make it but those that do will make our squad stronger next season which is what matters. Turning out our best 15 each time now probably won't make our best 15 much stronger come the key games of 21/22 or give us a chance of winning when the likes of Youngs and Genge are away on international duty.

Yes by all means find our best 15 but make sure we have assembled the best 15 we can put out during times of inury and internationals too. But we don't need to play that best 15 together very often, if at all, this season.
At present it's structure and development that is most important. Winning some games is important too but winning all of them is unrealistic and probably not a goal to strive for in selection terms this season. Next season of course.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think the question is are the B team players getting an opportunity to show what they can do when they do not have strength around them. Playing on the back foot is a skill but not one we hope to need for the next 5 years. More of a mix in each group may have allowed a fairer assessment. On thing about improved defence is we can now do better training for attack. Over the last few years a training session would not have given a realistic assessment of attack moves as our defence was so poor.

I do question the role of Smurph in all this. He has been the ineffectual constant through the turmoil. I hope he lets SB get on with his vision.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:28 pm
Robespierre wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:23 pm True, Tigers’ wins in Gloucester are rarer than hens’ teeth, so I’ll not be too optimistic, even an lbp. However, if the internet streaming works better than the game against Irish, I’ll be encouraging them armed with a glass of rouge 🍷!
I'll have to go digging for that last case of "Chateau belle Vue le Foret"
It must be behind the new giant settee! Big Dai. However "A case of syphilis has been found in the Monastery!" ~ "Ah! thank goodness for that I was getting tired of that Beaujolais!" ~ the old ones are still the best. :smt030

This is a great team selection allowing so many new & young players the chance against established opposition as many forget the intended development Premiership Cup is no longer played. Like others I would like to see the players / gametimes of other clubs that are not rotating their squads. :smt023
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I had hoped that when Murphy moved upstairs we would finally see an end to our poor and ineffectual kicking game. Alas it's still with us and I can only draw the conclusion that Murphy has insisted just as he did when he was head coach that we still persist with it. :smt009
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

sapajo wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:25 pm I had hoped that when Murphy moved upstairs we would finally see an end to our poor and ineffectual kicking game. Alas it's still with us and I can only draw the conclusion that Murphy has insisted just as he did when he was head coach that we still persist with it. :smt009
or maybe, as players have said in interviews, they haven't done that much work on attacking play yet in training, instead concentrating on defence and set piece as they were so lacking previously
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sapajo wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:25 pm I had hoped that when Murphy moved upstairs we would finally see an end to our poor and ineffectual kicking game. Alas it's still with us and I can only draw the conclusion that Murphy has insisted just as he did when he was head coach that we still persist with it. :smt009
We have a multi international capped halfback pairing, if they want to play a different way, they should impose themselves, a lot of the dire kicking in the recent past has come from them, even if it's the game plan, surely its not kick it as badly as we have at times.
I think Murphy deserves his chance as DOR as much as Borthwick as Head Coach, there was always going to be some blurring of responsibility to start with, if our DOR continues to help produce players out of the academy as some of the latest ones, Tigers as a club will be in a better position.
Murphy shouldn't of been the Head Coach, but if the previous appointment to him hadn't been so awful he wouldn't of been.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

The kicking game is here to stay. I am confident the execution is already improving. Hopefully Sapajo, you will be able to draw a different conclusion at some point in the not too distant future.