London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish

Post by westwinds31 »

3rd game back with a load of brand new players, new coaching set up and some are expecting miracles. Come on. The set piece solid. The lineout is very good. We’ve simplified it and go quickly. Green was superb for Falcons for a reason. Borthwick has seen that as well. Defence also much better. Irish with 60+% possession and let’s be honest didn’t threaten that much. We made 150 odd tackles...fitness seems better and our defensive shape looks good. Can’t see why Taute is getting grief, I thought he was decent today. Nadolo excellent considering it’s his first game. Attack better but needs a lot of work. Don’t think we’ll see the benefit until next season if I’m honest.

A win is a win. We’d have lost that if it was February. We won’t beat Gloucester.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Hope the injuries to Wells and Martin were not too serious. I missed the first half, did they look bad?
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

On a positive note -

1. A wins a win.
2. Very good defending.
3. Nadolo. My new favourite player. Winger and back up 8 (Just think about that for a minute :smt017 - As I think I recall the BT commentator saying ....He’s so big his shadow covers most of Leicestershire..... :smt038

Personally, I thought the injuries on our side changed the game. Seemed to lose power.

We are so going to get stuffed by Glaws....
Last edited by aslongaswebeatsaints on Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

POSTIGER wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:20 pm Hope the injuries to Wells and Martin were not too serious. I missed the first half, did they look bad?
Wells failed HIA...clash of heads. Martin leg injury didn’t see how bad it was.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

A dreadful game, dreadfully refereed.

We seemed to think were going to win & never set a platform.

Plus points lineout & we seem to of grasped the ruck interpretations quickly, player wise Reffell & Steward, Nadolo on a different level to the rest.

Minus points Genge thinking he is Conrad Smith, centres barely featured.

David Williams might be earning himself a longer loan or contract.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Thanks WW.

Fingers crossed for both. Thought Martin looked great last week.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

AshbyTiger wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:41 pm Try chalked off.

Technically, technically - it’s obstruction. But it happens so many times a game it seems incredibly harsh.

The 9 isn’t catching Ford there.
I also thought he was offside when the ball came out
As Good As It Gets
AshbyTiger

Post by AshbyTiger »

Seems to be that we think Gloucester will steamroll us. It could be very dependent on the sides selected - but looking at the table Gloucester haven’t had as good a season as I’d thought.

Tigers:
5 wins, 1 draw, 10 losses. 2 bonus points.

Gloucester:
5 wins, 0 draws, 11 losses. 11 bonus points.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

The players will be furious they didn't win by more. That's a good thing!

Defence was great, lineout worked even with a lot of disruption, discipline & breakdown was strong too.
For first time we started seeing some attacking structure too, give it a few weeks and that would've been a bonus point win. A bit of luck with the tmo and it wouldve been today.

I know nephi gave away some penalties in attack (it's fine if your Exeter) but he is becoming undroppable, he's won at least one breakdown pen every game since the restart and is strong in the carry. Genge and Cole need to watch their backs.

People are not keen on taute and I get it, but Rona is a rockstar player and he kept him quiet, the more he plays with Scott and the back 3 the better he will be.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I thought we showed decent progress. Which is all I ask for over the rest of this season.

The attack clearly needs a lot of work still, but Borthwick says they haven't really focused on it yet, in lieu of strengthening the fundamentals.

Breakdown was excellent. Defence and scrum were good. Lineout is finally reliable. And we look fit over the 80.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Not sure if it’s a sign of respect or disrespect but it looks like we will be the only team to face everybody’s first 15.

I think it allows Borthwick and team to focus on progressing performance rather than results.
Bring it on Gloucester,
AshbyTiger

Post by AshbyTiger »

Darc Tiger wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:34 pm I thought we showed decent progress. Which is all I ask for over the rest of this season.

The attack clearly needs a lot of work still, but Borthwick says they haven't really focused on it yet, in lieu of strengthening the fundamentals.

Breakdown was excellent. Defence and scrum were good. Lineout is finally reliable. And we look fit over the 80.
Agreed.

100% line out
100% scrum

93% tackle completion (could still be better)
7 penalties to Irish’s 10
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

I think we played much better than the score line shows. Plus Wells then Martin going off didn’t help momentum.

Reffell was immense all game, so was Wallace, both making tackles everywhere and nuisances at the breakdown. Taufua also made some big carries.

Steward was a rock at the back, nice to see a debutant completely at home with the premiership level of rugby. Williams too much improved since Exeter, maybe keep hold of him as a backup winger if SAR continues with fitness.

Still felt like we kicked too much. Could have also brought Nadolo more into the game and play with more width. Feel like the backs could maybe attack from a bit deeper, but understand attack is still work in progress.

We’re still loads better than before the enforced break. We still also have plenty of players to join the squad and we’ll only get better the more the coaches have with the team. Onwards and upwards :smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

AshbyTiger wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:31 pm Seems to be that we think Gloucester will steamroll us. It could be very dependent on the sides selected - but looking at the table Gloucester haven’t had as good a season as I’d thought.

Tigers:
5 wins, 1 draw, 10 losses. 2 bonus points.

Gloucester:
5 wins, 0 draws, 11 losses. 11 bonus points.
Glos rested pretty much their entire first XV tonight whereas a lot of ours put in a big shift.. they’ll be pretty much at full strength so will be a tough one
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

A win is a win, but oh my goodness pity we didn't make those disputed tries, based on the stats we were definitely outplayed but not too sure what that means. We made progress tonight, Steward, Nadolo very good, but we still, in my opinion, kicked the ball too often, especially in attacking positions. We need to sharpen up our handling and early passing.
Based on tonight's performance can we beat anyone else?
Ummm, reserve judgement, but pleased with the win even though my heart was in my mouth in 2nd half.