London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish

Post by RagingBull »

Yep fire the guy who has been here what 5/6 weeks? who had 4 senior back leave due to the covid situation and none of their replacements are here yet.

:smt038
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

:smt005
I think that realistically we are still in the early stages of evaluation.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It may well be the season proper but for us we have to look at the bigger picture.

We can't get relegated, we are out of the running for the major European competition and haven't got the replacements for all the players we lost. That's is on top of the planned player changes that would have happened when the season should have ended (that bit is the same for all sides).

Add to that a new coaching set up.

Our priority should be to use this as a development opportunity playing against real opposition rather than true friendlies.
At times that will see us play a markely second string side and at times a more powerful one.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Robespierre wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:40 pm Next Wednesday's match is unquestionably a must-win game.
Under no circumstances should Irish be underestimated - remember that they gave Tigers a sound beating earlier in the season and will undoubtedly be revved up to record a famous double.
Borthwick has to pick as strong a side as possible with the right mentality to give the club an overdue win and an important boost to the confidence of players and supporters alike.
I agree 100%
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to Borthwicks private thoughts on some of the players purchased under Murphys latter reign................
Methinks another 'clear out' before results dramatically swing the other way.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

fortysix wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:26 am I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to Borthwicks private thoughts on some of the players purchased under Murphys latter reign................
Methinks another 'clear out' before results dramatically swing the other way.
Borthwick has been involved in conversations with regards to players, prior to him officially joining.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Yes Sapajo, our last try definitely showed our lack of attacking capability, Rod should have to go!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:43 am Yes Sapajo, our last try definitely showed our lack of attacking capability, Rod should have to go!

Please, read my post again you will see that I did not and have not asked for anyone at Tigers to go or be sacked , so please calm down and actually comment on what I post not what you invent. One try a summer does not make and think how many more we would get if we spent more time working on attack. Thank you
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Well if we are not doing much work in attack how is our attack coach now gainfully employed?
What does this mean then?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Before this descends into a mess, the comment regarding not having done much work on attack does not infer that no work has been done in that area. The Coaching Team have been brought in and are probably building the basics, starting with the forwards, defence and basic skills before concentrating on intricate backs moves.
Mike Ford will be working under the instructions from Borthwick and this is a squad with a lot of new faces who need to be integrated.
The remaining games will be used for development and assessment in line with pre-season games.
That is my opinion. :smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Fortysix does not seem able to comprehend that in rugby players are rarely purchased. During Murphy's tenure as head coach we have released a lot of players who were not thought to be up to standard and the signings made in their place have actually been ok although many of the vacancies have been filled by our own Academy graduates. In what would have been Geordan's season as Head Coach with a team containing his signings we had to play several matches lacking five first choice forwards and five first choice backs. From the time our players returned from the World Cup we noticeably improved, recent signings I have no doubt will improve us further when they are available.
As for attack coaching, it is only recently that players have been able to move into actual team training, with our much changed squad and new coaches it is not surprising that the co-ordination and timing you get from a settled team is not yet in place, that will only happen when we return to one match a week and selection is more consistent.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:41 am Well if we are not doing much work in attack how is our attack coach now gainfully employed?
He's probably working with the playmakers so that they have an idea of the overall structure he wants to implement. Some basic work around phase play structure. That sort of thing. The first phase stuff and more complicated backs moves are probably being saved until everyone is here.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:22 am
sapajo wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:41 am Well if we are not doing much work in attack how is our attack coach now gainfully employed?
He's probably working with the playmakers so that they have an idea of the overall structure he wants to implement. Some basic work around phase play structure. That sort of thing. The first phase stuff and more complicated backs moves are probably being saved until everyone is here.
Thank you :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

The Gloucester lineout was wobbling on Friday under pressure from Vui. I really hope we see Liebenberg start at 6 against them to offer another jumper to pressure them there.

The positive performances from Smith, Martin and Henderson were big pluses from the Bath game. With Brink rehabbing and Wiese yet to arrive it was important they stood up as options for the remainder of this season. Hopefully that means we can rotate the forwards more easily.

Gigena and Mamukashvili finishing their isolation will help with rotation too. In the club statement on the 10th August it said that Mamukashvili was already in the UK self isolating so he should be in training this week. It was the 12th August that Egerton tweeted that Gigena's visa issues were sorted and he was on his to the UK as well. So hopefully Facundo will be available shortly as well.

Does anyone know what the situation with Sam Lewis is at current?
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I am guessing that with Gigena and Mamukashvili they are going to need a period once out of quarantine just get their fitness levels up and then to re-integrate into the team. I think that we would be hard pushed to expect to see any players on the pitch this season who are not already training with the full squad.