London Irish

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: London Irish

Post by TigerMac3 »

Actually, tell you someone else I’ve been pretty happy with the last 2 games... Charlie Clare. Hits his man at line out time and gets around really well. Well stocked at 2
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

Big scrummaging hooker. Has impacted well these last two games.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Yeah, I've got to say I was s bit deflated as the whistle went but I think that more about missed opportunities and the way the game is reffed now. The feeds into the scrum are just pathetic. The 9 may as well just give the ball to the 8. And the amount of offside an crossing allowed, apart from when we score, is just so frustrating.
I honestly feel like I don't know the rules any more.

On the up side though, defence scrum and line out was all great. I'm sure the attack will get better as they get more into it.
Some great individual performances as well. Steward, Reffel, Wallace. Williams did good things.
Lots of positives but lots of missed opportunities. I've been an advocate of treating this like a pre-season but I was hoping for a slightly better score line.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Will reserve opinion until I've watched the game (working) , but asked for a win and got a win.The one disappointment of the night was Worcester beating Harlequins as despite the assertion that the season does not matter a league table with Leicester in eleventh place is still not a pretty sight.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Positively an improvement in energy, commitment and aggression. Set piece functioning well. Squad rotation working with differing players and in differing roles with little drop in performance is only going to aid us in the future.
Nadolo has soft hands for a big unit. For me a real positive signing. Williams has fitted in well.
Did the officials have an influence on the game.LI were slow to the lineout and scrum all game.Dropping the scrum most of the game. Offside all game.They had a game plan to disrupt and were allowed to get away with it. And which team get the Yellow card.?
We got over the whitewash and if any one of the disallowed try's stood we would have been rejoicing because the scoreline would have looked different.LI would not have had a losing BP.
This will only drive the squad on to achieve.
Interesting to see the lineup for Glouc. If we are learning from our mistakes surely trying to run from our own 22,in front of a solid defensive line would be a no no.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

ABClub wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:56 pm
CitizenSmiff wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:52 pm No fun at all to watch this, was hoping for much better.
It felt like watching a game between the two worst sides in the Prem to be honest.
The table doesn't lie. Tigers and Irish are two of the worst sides in the Premiership. That said, there are, as several have said, definite green shoots of recovery.

The defensive shape, line speed and tackling have improved immensely. Our goal line defence in the sequence leading to their try was excellent.

The set piece is much improved and as the coaches have said - there's just not been the focus on attack in training as their has been on the fundamental basics. I expect we will see improved back play as this season winds down and we move to the 20/21 campaign.

It's not pretty so far and the quick turnarounds are not easy on the players bodies but the defeat to Bath gave us a glimpse of some good youngsters and one or.two of the newbies put their hands up. Also, despite the defeat to Exeter, we did test them and hung in there. Last season or earlier this it would have been 50+ points against.

If people look at Bath under new management and their improvement and expect the same from us in the same timeframe then you're bonkers. We're starting from a far, far worse position and have had the biggest squad overhaul out of all the Premiership sides as well as a new coaching unit to boot.

Patience is a virtue and if we're patient then we, as fans, will get rewards - of that I'm sure.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

The fundamentals are improving, set pieces, tackling, support runners.

The fluidity in attack should improve as we settle and players get used to one another, nevermind the sprinkling of attacking talent yet to join.

A win. Some decent performances and some further blooding of youngsters.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sounds like I missed quite the spectacle, pleased we got the win, not so pleased Worcester beat Quins but still we’re showing signs of improvement.

Shame that Wells and Martin are injured, hopefully they’re not too longterm. This gives Henderson as well as Chessum the opportunity to get game time potentially.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Overall not a bad performance. Perhaps one of the most pleasing things was the improvement in penalty count.

Slow progress but progress never-the-less. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

A much better 'back to basics' performance against a fellow struggling side.

Now let's show we can do it repeat it against Gloucester.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Matt Scott 17 tackles 0 missed.
When was the last time we had a centre pull in that kind of defensive shift? Allen?

Shame he only got the ball 9 times in attack.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:10 am A much better 'back to basics' performance against a fellow struggling side.

Now let's show we can do it repeat it against Gloucester.
Well, according to some on here we're already written off against Glaws! Best we don't bother turning up and let them have a bye :smt003

Those fitted with blinkers just can't see the wider picture: fitness, lineout, scrum, breakdown all massively better, attack starting to come along. We're starting to gel as a team, onwards and upwards :smt023
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

Think it is easy to overlook that we won without getting the bounce of the ball very often.

The Irish try came from our misfortune a good lineout steal ending up putting us under pressure, led directly to the yellow card and even then Irish still took several minutes to break through.

We could easily have had a 4 try bonus with the disallowed scores and with a big scoreline growing to nil then the game could have been very different as confidence levels of both teams changed.

It really wasn't that far from a big statement win. I'm content with the result and I think we need to find a way to string 2 or 3 results together now. Once winning regularly confidence will grow and we will suddenly find our luck changes.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

dunc wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:53 am Think it is easy to overlook that we won without getting the bounce of the ball very often.

The Irish try came from our misfortune a good lineout steal ending up putting us under pressure, led directly to the yellow card and even then Irish still took several minutes to break through.

We could easily have had a 4 try bonus with the disallowed scores and with a big scoreline growing to nil then the game could have been very different as confidence levels of both teams changed.

It really wasn't that far from a big statement win. I'm content with the result and I think we need to find a way to string 2 or 3 results together now. Once winning regularly confidence will grow and we will suddenly find our luck changes.
Referenceyourlast para, I agree. The added dynamic in that situation I believe is it also changes the way the opposition think and the way they approach a game. I know teams say they are only focusing on themselves, but as individual players I think it must have an influence.
As Good As It Gets
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Presumably Wells, Martin and Liebenberg will all be given the weekend off to recover. I didnt see George M go off (was cooking tea). Did it look serious? Liebenberg played on for quite some time after the hamstring so hopefully that wont come back and bite us. Could have brought on a back I suppose as a replacement for him?