Referees

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Referees

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Dokie wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:12 pm Funny how we see different things. I’m watching and bemoaning his non existent management of the breakdown that’s resulted in 20 something penalties in 46 mins and no flow to the game. I watched Nigel Owens ref the Scarlets Blues game on Sat and organise the players’ actions throughout. The result was a thoroughly entertaining game with 6 tries.
I think it was the shock of seeing it picked up that got me! Think that must be the first time I've seen that given in years.. but yes, the interpretation at the breakdown always seems to be a bone of contention!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

I get your point completely. You never know, someone might even penalise a crooked feed at the scrum some day soon!😂
I just want an entertaining flowing game, rain or no rain. My frustration is with the referees who are quiet at the breakdown apart from constantly blowing their whistles, when they could impact the game positively by being more proactive in talking to the players, to aid keeping the penalty count down and thus create an improved spectacle. This is even more important now as the players adapt to the new interpretations.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Exeter’s second try. Great finish but final pass was clearly forward. Not checked by ref, TMO, not mentioned by commentary. Is this now a global conspiracy?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Too busy checking the finish, by the time the camera replay showed said forward pass, try had been rewarded. I’d like to think there’s a bit of a conspiracy though, as Obi Wan Kenobi said: “There’s no such thing as luck”.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I called it forward as soon as it happened..............
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The two incorrect officiations didn’t affect the result of the game really, Bristol would have still won had Ben Earl decided to listen to Barnsey instead of being a stubborn idiot.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Wayne had a great game last night (Bristol/Exeter) with lots of chat at the breakdown, strong decisions and player explanations. He has to be the best of the bunch at the moment.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Celebrity Wayne enjoys the sound of his own voice.
Really good work guys, well done! :smt005
I lost count of the amount of times that he shouted stay up to the latching player only for the player to then dive straight down over it, and he did nothing.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

More too the point, it annoys me to hear refs effectively coaching players as though they were mini players. Players should know the laws and play to them. It also begs the question, when you have a ref who has a language in common with one team, that must be a disadvantage for the other
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:43 pm Too busy checking the finish, by the time the camera replay showed said forward pass, try had been rewarded. I’d like to think there’s a bit of a conspiracy though, as Obi Wan Kenobi said: “There’s no such thing as luck”.
Do, or do not. There is no try!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Pearce has a decent start to the game
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

What were people saying about the TMO.....

:smt013
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

That's good from the TMO in my opinion. Looked clearly held up.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:30 pm That's good from the TMO in my opinion. Looked clearly held up.
I think it was the right call but I’d still take it :smt002
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

TMO's are the new refs. The ref is just the officiating person with a whistle. He is reliant on TMO and BT sports for decision making.
Can we not limit the number of times in a game where we can call on TMO and let a ref get on with it. Surely the game will fow better and then the line officials will have to get involved more.
Yes we will debate poor decisions after the fact but would the game be more exciting. You bet.
Cynical - yeah frustrated - yeah its a bit like the Government dropping the ball and blaming Medical advise - Algorithms etc but giving themselves a wage rise despite poor performance.

I need a lie down.