Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v bath

Post by RagingBull »

I would like to see Henry at 10
But if we can establish his ability as a 15 as well it would give us a lot more confidence in having him cover 15 whilst on the bench behind Ford.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Nothing to lose - everything to gain.
Emphasis on commitment, energy and learning from last week.Plus another step forward.
Brave selection which proves the coaching team have the confidence and the balls to get us moving forwards for next season and beyond. I salute you.
Come on you Tigers :smt023
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:12 pm I would like to see Henry at 10
But if we can establish his ability as a 15 as well it would give us a lot more confidence in having him cover 15 whilst on the bench behind Ford.
Undoubtedly we’ll see him at 10 eventually, but with a queue at 10 (Ford, McP, Hardwick) now is a perfect time to give him time at 15 before Murimurivalu arrives. Having an Alex Goode type 10/15 could really work. I know Worth dabbles at 10 but he’s not in the same versatility league (in that position) as some others.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

kpj tiger wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:02 pm Whilst massive rotation hasn't gone well for us in the past I'm all for it given the current scenario, we have nothing to loose this season so we might as well blood some youngsters and see who's ready or not, that way we hopefully hit the ground running for next season
kpjTiger. My apologies in advance but my wife has just said you would think that, given last season and this, we would all have learned to spell "lose" by now :smt003
As Good As It Gets
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Scuttle wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:39 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:02 pm Whilst massive rotation hasn't gone well for us in the past I'm all for it given the current scenario, we have nothing to loose this season so we might as well blood some youngsters and see who's ready or not, that way we hopefully hit the ground running for next season
kpjTiger. My apologies in advance but my wife has just said you would think that, given last season and this, we would all have learned to spell "lose" by now :smt003
:smt005
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 pm Brave sélection after having seen the Bath team. Nothing to lose, however, and opportunities for the new players to see how they shape up. I might’ve been tempted to select a strong side and go for a much-needed win, but having said that, squad rotation is important. I’m particularly looking forward to seeing Henry at fullback as I firmly believe him to one of the most promising signings.
This.

Although I would have liked Henry to get a start at 10.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Bath

Post by BFG »

A threatening looking Bath side.
If Leicester are loose they could lose badly. :smt003
Expecting a solid performance, hoping for more.
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

Certainly an interesting side and not what I was expecting, but understand the rationale. Looks like we are using the end of the season as a set of training fixtures for the 20/21 season - probably no bad thing. Europe is a long shot and we’re safe from relegation so why not!

Hoping for a good performance but not expecting a win. Which is a shame as I would have liked Welford Rd to start becoming the fortress of old. Probably need to wait until Wednesday for that.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Bath by turning up
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

...am I missing something here!!!
Why are we electing to field such a weakened team against Bath, a team looking to finish in the top four and playing what I believe to be the stronger team against London Irish in an obviously winnable game with or without our best team.
Squad rotation is all very well but we seem to be looking to use a industrial jackhammer to crack an egg (London Irish).
We need our best team to play Bath, there has been a week between games and due to our history in this fixture are we just looking for an excuse before a ball has been kicked.
There has to be some kind of equation that I have overlooked as decisions like these implies we have failed to learn from our past mistakes.
It beggars the thought that the people in charge have no idea what they are doing....again!!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I get your point but my view is that the rest of this season is all but irrelevant. No chance of relegation, nothing to play for so these matches are a chance to look at the squad, look at combinations and let the new coaching team see what we have available. Very easy to put basically a first team out every week but then what has Borthwick learned about his wider playing squad before the important work of next season starts.

Plus, I do not think that is a bad side, there is a a decent amount of grunt in the pack with a decent sprinkling of experience and there are a number of wildcards in the back division. Who knows, Henry, Potter etc may just surprise a few people. I actually find this line up quite exciting
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

BFG wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:04 pm A threatening looking Bath side.
If Leicester are loose they could lose badly. :smt003
Expecting a solid performance, hoping for more.
My wife will be very pleased. And we are still married.
As Good As It Gets
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Young exciting team and isn’t as weak as some are making out. Gives some players some valuable time on the pitch at premiership level.

For me Worth is much better at 13. Really excited to see Henry at 15, great open field runner. We also have two very promising locks in Martin and Henderson getting premiership debuts which is massive for the future of the club.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I get what SB and GM are doing as regards to giving players gametime and rotating etc but imo it wouldve been better to mix these two first game teams up instead of going strongest and weakest or at least go strongest pack with young backs as an example. Something along those lines but that's just my opinion
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Redstripeman wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:13 pm ...am I missing something here!!!
Why are we electing to field such a weakened team against Bath, a team looking to finish in the top four and playing what I believe to be the stronger team against London Irish in an obviously winnable game with or without our best team.
Squad rotation is all very well but we seem to be looking to use a industrial jackhammer to crack an egg (London Irish).
We need our best team to play Bath, there has been a week between games and due to our history in this fixture are we just looking for an excuse before a ball has been kicked.
There has to be some kind of equation that I have overlooked as decisions like these implies we have failed to learn from our past mistakes.
It beggars the thought that the people in charge have no idea what they are doing....again!!
There’s always one :smt003
A2O