Teams up v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Bath

Post by Tiglon »

I don't understand all the negativity towards Ben White, but I suppose it comes down to what you expect from your 9. Some people seem to want regular line breaks and sniping around the ruck a la Ben Youngs circa 2010, but it isn't so common these days. There are exceptions (see Reinach last season) but they are exactly that.

The modern scrum half requirements are game management, good decision making, accurate kicking, fast and accurate delivery to first receiver and communication between the forwards and other backs - plus the odd snipe when the defence isn't set, but that's pretty rare with defences so organised. This is why it also isn't so common to see teenage scrum halves breaking through any more, but the likes of Heinz and Wigglesworth play on well into their 30's. In my opinion, Ben White has displayed all these qualities in abundance, particularly for such a young man.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I wasnt sure about White but I think hes been very good since the restart
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I'd like to see Simmons at 9 simply because he is one and we know he has talent but I thought Ben White played really well Saturday.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:59 pm I'd like to see Simmons at 9 simply because he is one and we know he has talent but I thought Ben White played really well Saturday.
He was a fullback initially and then moved to scrum half when in the Tigers academy.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I would still like to judge for myself. Simmons v White.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Think it's a make or break 12 months for Simmons, young JVP looks good, White whilst not exciting looks like a good leader at 9 & very defensively strong.
From the glimpses sometime ago Simmons looked a different sort of 9, but not one that would necessarily fit our game plan going forward, but it would be good to see him start at 9, if that's where he wants to focus.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:49 pm Think it's a make or break 12 months for Simmons, young JVP looks good, White whilst not exciting looks like a good leader at 9 & very defensively strong.
From the glimpses sometime ago Simmons looked a different sort of 9, but not one that would necessarily fit our game plan going forward, but it would be good to see him start at 9, if that's where he wants to focus.
Massively agree. Switch him to fullback and see how he does for a few games, he’s a very talented player, but we’re stacked at 9.