Teams up v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Bath

Post by JP14 »

BigDan50 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:22 am JP14, why do you hate Bath and the supporters.
I don’t but the likes of BT Sport are starting to big them up which in my opinion is not justified and will not gain much from this result. We kept Watson and Rokodugini quiet as did Faletau and Underhill in the back row. We just couldn’t match their front five or be aggressive enough in defence as well as squandering too many opportunities on the scoreboard to make the result look more respectable.

I understand this comment probably derives from a little scuffle we had on here back in 2017 over Matt Garvey after we lost to Bath in the 17/18 opener.

They are an auld enemy, but the intense rivalries of the 90s were before my time, I was just merely venting my frustration that the Bath team and supporters probably now believe themselves to be the best thing since sliced bread after defeating the most recently promoted side and the development team of a club currently sitting in 11th.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Crofty wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:15 pm
fentiger wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:56 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:07 am I can only glean positives from yesterday. It was a dead rubber, yet we found that Henry is a very good 10 (the goal kicking will come back), McWilliams isn't, Martin, Smith, Kerr, Leatigaga, Clare are quality players on the up, etc. Fitness levels are very good and can reach top international level if this has been done over a few weeks with Walters.
There is no way a bunch of possibles and development players could be expected to play and beat a largely international team in their first ever competitive game together.
Defence and attack need work, but that was a known with such a new squad.
We need a couple more games with the full squad to get a hold on what to expect, but seeing how Chiefs stuffed Sale (courtesy of Foley's blind eye for blocking etc, as with us), our result at Sandy Park seems a lot less awful than some put out on here.
+1 :smt023
To all these sides gleefully sending their strongest teams to beat us at this time, I would say this: make hay whilst the sun shines, summer won't last much longer :smt003
Everyone (OK, the comentators) was so keen to make a pun on Harry Potter getting his first start yesterday, let's spread it out to George Martin...

Are you saying winter is coming?
To top it all off I say we kept the Pale Orc to a quiet performance in my view...

The watching Eddie Jones would have only been impressed by Stuart, McConnochie and Spencer (maybe Dunn too) and Martin out of all the England/England U20 contingent present.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

I'll say it again, every post I make seems to include his name, but I'm beyond excited by Henry.

He's strong, likes to run with the ball, can offload and seems to play on instinct.

Definitely not a prem 15, but he should be an exciting alternate to Ford and I'd desperately like to see him at 12 or 13, too if his defensive game looks to stand up.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

TheTigerKing wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm I'll say it again, every post I make seems to include his name, but I'm beyond excited by Henry.

He's strong, likes to run with the ball, can offload and seems to play on instinct.

Definitely not a prem 15, but he should be an exciting alternate to Ford and I'd desperately like to see him at 12 or 13, too if his defensive game looks to stand up.
Not sure Tigers need a utility back. Henry should be groomed solely as Ford’s back up,
Semper in excretia
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:23 pm
TheTigerKing wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:59 pm I'll say it again, every post I make seems to include his name, but I'm beyond excited by Henry.

Not sure Tigers need a utility back. Henry should be groomed solely as Ford’s back up,
He looks capable of starting games, to me. Being a backup 10 exclusively leaves him fishing for 10 minutes here and there when Ford isn't on international duty.

Given our lack of options at center until Moroni arrives, perfect time to see if he can influence a game from there IMO. If so, he fills both roles and allows more flexibility on the bench.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Every club needs a utility back. The aim with Henry should be to fill in for Ford when unavailable but also add depth at 12/13/15 if he's good enough.

He definitely looked more at home at 10 though and that should be the focus.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A good blunt interview by Ben White in my opinion:

https://youtu.be/D3bBrm8YEIk
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 pm To top it all off I say we kept the Pale Orc to a quiet performance in my view...

The watching Eddie Jones would have only been impressed by Stuart, McConnochie and Spencer (maybe Dunn too) and Martin out of all the England/England U20 contingent present.
Sorry who is the pale orc?

I don’t think Jones would have been particularly impressed with any of the Bath players apart from that one finish by McConnochie. Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see anything special from Spencer. Safe pair of hands maybe but failed to shine. His place kicking is of little value in an England squad that has Ford, Farrell and Daly.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:48 pm A good blunt interview by Ben White in my opinion:

https://youtu.be/D3bBrm8YEIk
An impressive young man. I thought he had a very solid game yesterday. I can see why Borthwick rates him so highly.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

In terms of assessment of the game everything already pretty much been said and my views align well with Travellers post.

One thing I’m surprised no one has mentioned when hammering the selection is that when Borthwick decided on this team he wouldn’t have known what side Bath were going to pick. Wasps played a 2nd 15 and got a victory because Worcester did too.

I didn’t think Bath would go full strength with Northampton mid-week. If they have top 4 ambitions this was a golden opportunity to win a game with squad players.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

teds wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:25 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:23 pm To top it all off I say we kept the Pale Orc to a quiet performance in my view...

Sorry who is the pale orc?

I don’t think Jones would have been particularly impressed with any of the Bath players apart from that one finish by McConnochie. Maybe I missed it, but I didn’t see anything special from Spencer. Safe pair of hands maybe but failed to shine. His place kicking is of little value in an England squad that has Ford, Farrell and Daly.
Sam Underhill.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

To some extent is was '..men and boys..' but the boys didn't play bad considering, particularly in the opening 15 and for much of the second half.

Before the game I thought we should put out a strong side in the hope of a win and confidence builder but on reflection I have changed my mind. Giving the young guns a run was probably the better option allowing us to put out a stronger team against Irish on Wednesday.

White had an outstanding game and Henry is an exciting prospect. I look forward to more from both and to us climbing up from 11th place. :smt027
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I would like to see Simmons selected as starting 9, previously I thought he looked better than White, not sure why White has become coaches favoured selection, or Captain, please can we see the comparison with Simmons?
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:16 pm I would like to see Simmons selected as starting 9, previously I thought he looked better than White, not sure why White has become coaches favoured selection, or Captain, please can we see the comparison with Simmons?
Simmons was out injured for a long time so it was White by default
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:16 pm I would like to see Simmons selected as starting 9, previously I thought he looked better than White, not sure why White has become coaches favoured selection, or Captain, please can we see the comparison with Simmons?
Agreed, its a crying shame that his injuries have cost him so dearly and I would like to see him now given a chance to start at 9.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity