Teams up v Bath

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Teams up v Bath

Post by Dangerous4 »

I can't see a win coming, and expect a drubbing,, but I do believe S B has done the right thing. The youngsters must get blooded at some stage, so why not now, with nothing to lose.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some unexpected choices on Wednesday,.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surprised at the selection but that’s still a pretty decent front 5, excited to see what Martin, Potter and Smith can offer as well as Henry from the back. Good to see Simmons get a start, I know he’s versatile but will be interesting to see how well he can do against Bath’s all-England back 3.

People have flagged up the Cardiff game and whilst I would argue this Bath side is stronger and more in form than the Blues were that day it would be nice to have a repeat result. Memories also bring to mind when a young side really gave it to Bath in the Cup back in 2017 which we only lost because of the scrum (which was down to those two O’Connor gem signings, Baumann and Traynor I believe).

Personally I’m thinking a spirited performance and a repeat of the opening fixture in the PRC versus Worcester nearly a year ago where we well-beaten but still put a respectable score on the board.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

This is without exception the weakest team that tigers have ever fielded in the Premiership.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Duncan B wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:56 pm This is without exception the weakest team that tigers have ever fielded in the Premiership.
...but not, I suspect, the worst coached.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

JP14 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:44 pm Surprised at the selection but that’s still a pretty decent front 5, excited to see what Martin, Potter and Smith can offer as well as Henry from the back. Good to see Simmons get a start, I know he’s versatile but will be interesting to see how well he can do against Bath’s all-England back 3.

People have flagged up the Cardiff game and whilst I would argue this Bath side is stronger and more in form than the Blues were that day it would be nice to have a repeat result. Memories also bring to mind when a young side really gave it to Bath in the Cup back in 2017 which we only lost because of the scrum (which was down to those two O’Connor gem signings, Baumann and Traynor I believe).

Personally I’m thinking a spirited performance and a repeat of the opening fixture in the PRC versus Worcester nearly a year ago where we well-beaten but still put a respectable score on the board.
Thanks JP14 I was racking my brain to remember the game at the Rec when we sent a young team down to Bath and we very nearly won. But what an experience for that team.
The same applies tomorrow this is a great opportunity to "blood" many new arrivals and academy players and I welcome this bold decision ~ build for the future, I would love them to win & embarrass the Bath sugar daddy! Onwards >>>>> :smt027
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Was nearly correct in my prediction last week 10-32 reckon tomorrow it will be 13-45.
Just hope I'm wrong !
But we will beat Irish 35-17
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Duncan B wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:56 pm This is without exception the weakest team that tigers have ever fielded in the Premiership.
And it is this complacent nostalgia that has done for Tigers, these past ten years or more. Both on and off the field.
We now have an extended pre-season against several Premiership sides. It's a golden opportunity. No pressure of relegation or winning silverware. Just the chance to put the team work in, paranoia be damned.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

VernonAtrium wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:44 pm
And it is this complacent nostalgia that has done for Tigers, these past ten years or more. Both on and off the field.
We now have an extended pre-season against several Premiership sides. It's a golden opportunity. No pressure of relegation or winning silverware. Just the chance to put the team work in, paranoia be damned.
I don't get the criticism either. Borthwick has a brilliant opportunity to take a look at the broader squad that he's inherited. Great chance for some of the Tiger cubs to stick their hand up and show what they can do. What have we got to lose, eh?!

After all, one of the big criticisms amongst the members of this forum is the lack of academy talent getting an opportunity at first team level - now that players are being given a chance there's now concerns that we'll get beaten. Does it matter where we.finish this season? It's where we finish next season and the built squad depth that matters.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Exactly.. no threat of relegation, 3 games in 9 days and a massive amount of work to be done. Not the team sheet I or most would have expected but I’m excited to see some of our new arrivals and young lads pull on the Tigers jersey.

The only match that really matters is the Challenge Cup match next month so great to see some experimenting and the courage to try a few things in what is, let’s face it an extended pre-season.

Not as weak a team as some are suggesting IMO; however, Bath look strong so will be a tough one. I’d rather see this any day of the week than some of the dire ‘first team’ performances we’ve been subjected to this season so far! Exciting experimenting and a desire to move things in the right direction rather than simply tread water until we go under..
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:52 pm
I don't get the criticism either. Borthwick has a brilliant opportunity to take a look at the broader squad that he's inherited. Great chance for some of the Tiger cubs to stick their hand up and show what they can do. What have we got to lose, eh?!

After all, one of the big criticisms amongst the members of this forum is the lack of academy talent getting an opportunity at first team level - now that players are being given a chance there's now concerns that we'll get beaten. Does it matter where we.finish this season? It's where we finish next season and the built squad depth that matters.
You don’t see that we have a decent opportunity to beat bath at home by putting a decent side out and we have put out a side with literally no hope of achieving anything as the players being blooded have no quality around them.... why would we not rest players for the following away trip and at least have some quality on the bench?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Duncan B wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 pm

You don’t see that we have a decent opportunity to beat bath at home by putting a decent side out and we have put out a side with literally no hope of achieving anything as the players being blooded have no quality around them.... why would we not rest players for the following away trip and at least have some quality on the bench?
And yet we may win with the side selected. I'd rather give squad players a go and see what they can do. Nothing to lose at all and plenty of longer term benefits
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:22 pm
Duncan B wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:03 pm

And yet we may win with the side selected. I'd rather give squad players a go and see what they can do. Nothing to lose at all and plenty of longer term benefits
If they do get pumped and have incredibly limited go forward ball, what exactly are the benefits? They’ll feel less confident about playing at that level than before. I’m sure any of those players could do an admirable job slipping into a first team, this is a totally different kettle of fish.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:25 pm
CrumblingTerrace wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:32 pm What do we expect to learn about the younger players by putting them all in together, in combinations they'll probably never play in again for the first XV?

Show me Thom Smith next to Taufua...

Potter on the opposite wing to Nadolo...

... Or Porter next to Scott.

Let's be honest, a Bath drubbing is highly possible with how strong they've gone.
Exactly my thoughts!
To be honest it’s possibly about giving them game time in the positions they’ve mostly been training in as opposed to combinations. Match fitness first (having had no preseason matches or summer tours etc), then you work on the combinations.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Versus Bath , performance attitude and continued improvement rather than the end result is what counts.There is a bigger picture.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I don't get it.

In the build up to the restart there was a lot of positivity about SB's arrival and what it holds for the club.

He picked this team from what he's seen in training. Lets trust him for at least a couple of games. We exceeded most neutrals predictions vs Exeter...

Front row. Not out and out first choice but a good quality front row well able to get at least parity in the scrum.

2nd row arguably our strongest 2nd row combination (no questions here of weakening)

Back Row 1 experienced player 2 youthful talents. They are probably outmatched here but with Underhill and Faletau they probably would have been anyway (especially with Brink injured and Wiese not here), that said great opportunity for them behind a good front 5 gives the a platform for a good game.

Scrum half ok so he's our 2nd choice but White is a quality operator and he is not 2nd choice by too far think he'll relish the leadership too.

Fly half. This is a possible weak spot but Ford can't play every game and there is a big step down to the next choice, that said McPhillips has impressed at times.

Centre's, Porter is a young unknown, lets trust the coaches, Worth got slated last week at FB, let's let the coaches see him in his other position. I like the opportunity here to impress.

Back 3 we've said with the new signings Nadolo, Van Wyk and Murimurivalu all to come we don't have much depth here, Potter I'm excited about and think he can thrive. Henry another young exciting talent I've wanted to see think he could be one to watch in this team. Ok so Simmons is playing out of position, but can definitely perform at this level and how benches often are structured means Scrum Halves often cover the wing and as said we're missing three players here too.

Lets not bash the team till we've seen the performance. This has the makings of a decent side, let's not go crazy and slate the coaching set up just yet, go with the flow let them try combinations.

We don't know which "bubbles" of players have all been training together longest. Our backline may gel more than anticipated.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.