Next week versus Bath then Irish!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Next week versus Bath then Irish!

Post by fentiger »

Interesting hearing what Fordy had to say post match especially regarding Tigers not really doing much attack training yet!
Sounds like they are working on the basics first before bringing more aspects in. Nothing wrong with that, however I feel we will need to bring a bit more to the table to beat the likes of Bath?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I thought that (honest) after Exeter. It seemed we’ve worked on defence, maul defence, breakdown and physicality. Attack will come, we were more going for territory through Ford. Bath will ask a lot of different questions than Chiefs. The likes of Joseph and Watson’s footwork which will be a test. Looking forward to it. Once we get Nadolo and Murimurivalu in all of a sudden we have options.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

westwinds31 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:36 pm Once we get Nadolo and Murimurivalu in all of a sudden we have options.
Still no news of when this will be?
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

No nothing. Nadolo is "a couple of weeks away" and being looked at "week on week", the standard reply which could mean anything from, he'll feature against Bath or we won't see him until Gloucester away. Murimurivalu I can't remember what the situation is with him, is he isolating/coming out of isolation ?

I remember seeing Lewis Moody after one of the home games back in 2004 I think it was. He'd been injured for a while and I asked him when he was likely to be back. "Hopefully next week" was his reply. He didn't play for a month :smt022
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

fentiger wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:01 pm Interesting hearing what Fordy had to say post match especially regarding Tigers not really doing much attack training yet!
Sounds like they are working on the basics first before bringing more aspects in. Nothing wrong with that, however I feel we will need to bring a bit more to the table to beat the likes of Bath?
It simply beggars the question that if we really have not been doing much attack training yet, how are we going to score any points or indeed win other than via penalties or through the forwards????
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 am
fentiger wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:01 pm Interesting hearing what Fordy had to say post match especially regarding Tigers not really doing much attack training yet!
It simply beggars the question that if we really have not been doing much attack training yet, how are we going to score any points or indeed win other than via penalties or through the forwards????
A few thoughts :
  • the old adage "forwards win matches, the backs by how much"
  • Exeter's tries on Saturday, forwards 3 backs 1
  • the incoming players still to arrive and be available include our star back 3 players
  • it's how EJ started with England and he didn't have too bad a start
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Karl Dickson in the middle for Bath game.

"The match officials for Leicester Tigers’ first match at Welford Road since February have been announced.
Karl Dickson is named as the man in the middle for the Gallagher Premiership clash with Bath Rugby on Saturday (August 22, 4.30pm).
He will be assisted from the touchlines by Anthony Woodthorpe and Hamish Smales, while David Grashoff will serve as Television Match Official. Tony Diprose is named as citing commissioner.
Former Harlequins scrum-half Dickson last took charge of a Tigers fixture in the home win over Wasps in Round 10 of this season’s Gallagher Premiership." - https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/re ... r-round-15
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

:smt009 :smt009 :smt009
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

happywomble wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:21 pm Karl Dickson in the middle for Bath game.

"The match officials for Leicester Tigers’ first match at Welford Road since February have been announced.
Karl Dickson is named as the man in the middle for the Gallagher Premiership clash with Bath Rugby on Saturday (August 22, 4.30pm).
He will be assisted from the touchlines by Anthony Woodthorpe and Hamish Smales, while David Grashoff will serve as Television Match Official. Tony Diprose is named as citing commissioner.
Former Harlequins scrum-half Dickson last took charge of a Tigers fixture in the home win over Wasps in Round 10 of this season’s Gallagher Premiership." - https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/re ... r-round-15
The worrying thing is there is worse...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

sapajo wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:21 am
Our attack coach was the last too arrive. We had some real pressing issues such as defence and lineout to worry about.

We've got to rebuild the attack from the ground up so we may be starting with the absolute basics before adding layers to it later. With lots of new players and some not arrived yet (including the starting back three and OC) drilling the attack to the nth degree only to have to go back and do it all again later might not be worthwhile.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

It is not just when the coaches arrived it is the amount of time we have been able to have contact training, with new players and ideas getting together as a team will take time.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Yes, I would be worried if there was a couple weeks to go until the 20-21 season and we hadn't done any attacking training. The rest of this season is for basics, getting the players to gel and getting the systems into place and then working on the attack, which I am sure will come sooner rather than later given the calibre of the new coaching set-up :smt026 :smt041 :smt035 :smt027
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I always thought Karl Dickson was a decent ref, but he has failed to have anything anywhere near that reffing for us!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Have to start making the term 'Home Advantage' actually mean something.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

For the moment the weather looks decent with an outside chance of a shower so we should see an open game. Looking forward to further improvements :smt023