Super User
Super User

Next week versus Bath then Irish!

Post by RagingBull »

Wonder what the plan will be
Saturday v Bath home
Followed by
Wednesday v Irish home

Suspect that played a part in not featuring many new lads this week.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next week

Post by ABClub »

I'm hoping we see a mix of experience and youngsters in both games rather than first XV and second XV. Something like:

1.Genge 2.Youngs (c) 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Lewis 7.Wallace 8.Taufua
9.White 10.Ford 11.Olowofela 12.Hardwick 13.Taute 14.Potter 15.Steward

1.Leatigaga 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Green 5.Enever 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Smith
9.Youngs (c) 10.Henry 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Worth 14.Williams 15.Simmons

Porter and McPhillips will feature in the 23s I'd guess. Bower, Clare and Coghlan are the available senior squad forwards not named there so presumably the older Dev squad guys in Dimen, Whitcombe, Henderson and Lavin will get game time off the bench. JvP and Browning might get chances too.

Do we know when Mamukashvili and Gigena will finish their isolation?
BG01

Re: Next week versus Bath then Irish!

Post by BG01 »

I think if we're all honest who knows what the best way to pick the squads are over this period.

The next 3 games are a 'block' with a week break at the end of them. It is also very unlikely that we'll get any new players for them - with the exception of maybe Nadolo and Gigena. We then have two games before the biggest two games of the season - Saints then Castres - both of which we'd want to be fully loaded for.

I personally would go the same again next week, or pretty close to. It gives a bit of consistency, allows some of them to fix their mistakes, and would be a big win. But I'm sort of aware that fixes you into having a 'midweek team'. That's partly fine as I think our second choice aren't far off our first choice (Ford and Scott probably being the exceptions who are miles ahead), but there is probably a smarter way of doing it where you're always playing 50% first choice players or something.

One benefit of not having a massively strong first XV at the moment is that I think rotation may impact us less than some!
Never believe generalisations
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Next week

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:11 pm I'm hoping we see a mix of experience and youngsters in both games rather than first XV and second XV. Something like:

1.Genge 2.Youngs (c) 3.Heyes 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Lewis 7.Wallace 8.Taufua
9.White 10.Ford 11.Olowofela 12.Hardwick 13.Taute 14.Potter 15.Steward

1.Leatigaga 2.Kerr 3.Cole 4.Green 5.Enever 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Smith
9.Youngs (c) 10.Henry 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Worth 14.Williams 15.Simmons

Porter and McPhillips will feature in the 23s I'd guess. Bower, Clare and Coghlan are the available senior squad forwards not named there so presumably the older Dev squad guys in Dimen, Whitcombe, Henderson and Lavin will get game time off the bench. JvP and Browning might get chances too.

Do we know when Mamukashvili and Gigena will finish their isolation?
I think that those teams are probably about what I would go with, though I'd swap eithrr the 9&10's or the hookers so that our VC Ford is there to take the reigns for the one game
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Not much to add. Shoots of recovery all over the place, particularly in the pack. Definitely on the up :smt023

Unconcerned about the backs. We still have top signings to come and most who struggled will be squad players at best and have gained invaluable experience against the best team in the league.

Thank god we kept hold of Taufua...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

I'd really like to see more of Steward and Simmons amongst the backs, if their defence is viewed as strong enough they look like two players who possess real attacking threat.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Prior to lockdown home form had certainly seemed to improve , a continuation of this would be nice together with at least one win for the sake of the table and indeed for the confidence and self belief of the playing squad.It is easier to buy into something new when there are tangible results.
Continued improvement and progression though ,is what we need to see.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Preparation for next season is very important.We can use the remainder of the season to use variations of personnel. A great learning curve. :smt023
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:52 pm I'd really like to see more of Steward and Simmons amongst the backs, if their defence is viewed as strong enough they look like two players who possess real attacking threat.
Agreed.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bath played quite well against London Irish, so it's not given.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Against Bath I would go with, Genge, Youngs, Cole, Lavanini, Wells, Taufua, Reffell, Liebenberg, Youngs, Ford, Olowofela,Hardwick, Scott, Williams, Henry. on the bench Kerr, Leatigaga, Heyes. Green, Lewis, Wallace White, McPhillips.
I have not seen anything of Potter and Porter so have no idea how near they are to being first team ready, obviously if Nadolo is fit he comes into the side. For the mid week game against Irish I would swap around the forwards based on minutes played in previous matches and probably start with White at scrum half with Simmons on the bench and maybe Hardwick or Henry at 10. outside backs barring injury should be able to manage the odd two games in a week.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

For me I think the most important thing at the moment is that we get a win to boost confidence so I would pick the strongest team available for the Bath game and if successful rest a few for the midweek game
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Noggs wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:37 pm For me I think the most important thing at the moment is that we get a win to boost confidence so I would pick the strongest team available for the Bath game and if successful rest a few for the midweek game
Agreed :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Noggs wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:37 pm For me I think the most important thing at the moment is that we get a win to boost confidence so I would pick the strongest team available for the Bath game and if successful rest a few for the midweek game
Quite, I wouldn't expect a win against Bath without a first choice team and a win would see Tigers go above Worcester who will hopefully come away with nothing from Wasps on Friday night.
Semper in excretia
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

JP14 wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:30 pm Bath played quite well against London Irish, so it's not given.
Yes they did. Powerful set of forwards, especially decent back row combination. Fast backs with bags of creativity. We'll have to be very good to beat them I reckon.