New Salary Cap Investigation

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

New Salary Cap Investigation

Post by kk20gb30 »

According to Neil Fissler in 'The Rugby Paper' of August 9 a second English club side (not Sarries) are under active investigation for possible breaches of the Salary Cap.The club are described as "in the running for the top four" but no further identification was forthcoming and Premiership Rugby have declined to comment .
Interesting.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: New Salary Cap Investigation

Post by Mark62 »

Maybe a quiet day and idle speculation, but of the current top 4 you’d say 3 were possible contenders
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Sale or Bristol ?
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

would be surprised if it was Sale - my bet would be Bristol. Not good for the game I fear whoever it is. If guilty, I wonder what the punishment would be?
Hehehehehehehehe
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Sale only have 44 players (including academy/development). Only 34 listed on the main squad. That's a huge amount of cash to go around.

Exeter on the other hand have 71 players listed on their site and have some tremendous depth in many key positions.

Bristol have some big names but at 9&10 only have Cook, Randall, Uren, Sheedy and Tiff Eden. Even if you put Max Malins down as a 10 they are saving some big cash in those areas. Similarly only three hookers in Thacker, Capon & Byrne. Can't see Capon or Byrne on big money, and Thacker is likely to be a leage average level for a starting hooker, certainly not the level of Cowan-Dickie or Yeandle, even Taione might be on similar he is very good and won't want for suitors.

Exeter have 4 current internationals at prop, 3 at lock, + ex-international like Dave Dennis, a slew of top notch saffas, wings coming out their ears .... and until this summer hadn't really lost any second choices which is where the salary cap usually really bites you hard.

Bath have lost some good players this summer with no real replacements signed for most, I would probably think they are second most likely after Exeter.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

All idle speculation, but one of the big suspicions over Sarries was the strength in depth that they managed, they could be missing anything up to 20 players and still put out a side to at least compete with other premiership sides.

The same could be said of Exeter, but Rowe and Baxter have always claimed they’re whiter than white.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Rich people have a tendency to not like being bettered by other rich people, so where one goes, others tend to follow.

Another reason to be glad of the Tigers funding model however painful & difficult in the present climate.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:05 pm Maybe a quiet day and idle speculation, but of the current top 4 you’d say 3 were possible contenders
Presumably you’re thinking Northampton are the most likely to be innocent?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

teds wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:52 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:05 pm Maybe a quiet day and idle speculation, but of the current top 4 you’d say 3 were possible contenders
Presumably you’re thinking Northampton are the most likely to be innocent?
Yes I would say so of those 4, others are mentioning Bath and Wasps too, but I’m not sure who Bath would have over spent on and Wasps are reportedly broke.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Just chipping in.......I would place all my chips on a club owned by .............Oh I don't know. Off for a Bath.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

After all the shouting by a certain someone I'd love it if it was the cultural appropriators
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:16 pm Just chipping in.......I would place all my chips on a club owned by .............Oh I don't know. Off for a Bath.
Are you going to do the vacuuming first.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 pm After all the shouting by a certain someone I'd love it if it was the cultural appropriators
Rowe has long hidden some expenditure in SWComms, or so local 'legend' has it, so wouldn't be massively surprised, but then neither would about Bath historically. Rowe is a 'little Corporal' type .......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:14 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:27 pm After all the shouting by a certain someone I'd love it if it was the cultural appropriators
Rowe has long hidden some expenditure in SWComms, or so local 'legend' has it, so wouldn't be massively surprised, but then neither would about Bath historically. Rowe is a 'little Corporal' type .......
Yes I've heard the stories about him 😉
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Assuming this is genuine

Which season does this relate to? If there's something from a season or two ago that's come to light I would be looking at clubs that have offloaded a lot of players.

A club like Wasps let a lot of big name players go in the last couple of years, them being broke may be a symptom of any possible misdemeanor not evidence that it's not them.

Bath having let a lot go without replacing them takes on a new light.

Exeter for all their throw the book at Sarries rhetoric do have the most depth in their squad currently.

Without further information they would be the "most" likely.

Problem with the Rugby Paper is sometimes the headline writers don't always have the "most" solid foundations for all their stories. For all we know an investigation may just be a query back from Premiership rugby asking for some additional paperwork as to clarify details of a already declared benefit in kind all the way to a full blown investigation where they're about to lay charges.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.