Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Well I’m excited.

I accept there are good reasons to mix and match and target certain games, particularly Europe, but I also think SB will want to make a statement early on that Tigers are back competing for everything and being thoroughly unpleasant opposition to play against, even if the win might elude. So I think the gloves will be well and truly off! And if your going to make such a statement you might as well doing it against Exeter.

In summary, I want to see signs that we are becoming an over performing squad rather than an underperforming set of individual ego”s
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Absolutely no reason imo not to put the strongest available team out against Exeter, our opinions and those of Sir Steve may of course vary.

Following a more normal turnaround of 7 days then comes 3 games in 8 days period, when squad rotation will be necessary
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:06 pm Absolutely no reason imo not to put the strongest available team out against Exeter, our opinions and those of Sir Steve may of course vary.

Following a more normal turnaround of 7 days then comes 3 games in 8 days period, when squad rotation will be necessary
:smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

If it stays this warm then the players that cope with the heat better may also be a consideration.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 pm If it stays this warm then the players that cope with the heat better may also be a consideration.
That rules out the Polar Bear then.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

mol2 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:08 pm If it stays this warm then the players that cope with the heat better may also be a consideration.
24c and rain forecast for Exeter at the weekend. Although that's only one game...and only a forecast :smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

I note that the Premiership Referees for this weekend have not been announced yet, BUT so much relies on the correct unbiased and competent Referee. At the Tigers V Exeter home game on 21st December where we lost in the end 22 - 31 despite two good Jonny May tries. The Referee was Exeter local boy Luke Pearce allegedly living very close to Sandy Park and using the Sandy Park David Lloyd gym also used by the Chiefs. It was even thought he travelled up on Tony Rowe's personal coach.
Let us see the reaction of Steve to incompetent refereeing. :smt012
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As Barnes is not available, the chances of a competent ref are negligible.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As Mark62 says when selecting the team the opinions of Steve Borthwick and ourselves may vary, just because he has seen te players training each day and can assess their current fitness and form, and we have not seen the players on the pitch for several months and some we have never seen, not even on tv does not mean he knows better than us. One thing is for sure whatever the result we cannot be wrong and will be sure to tell Mr Borthwick where he did not get it right.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wormus wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 am I note that the Premiership Referees for this weekend have not been announced yet, BUT so much relies on the correct unbiased and competent Referee. At the Tigers V Exeter home game on 21st December where we lost in the end 22 - 31 despite two good Jonny May tries. The Referee was Exeter local boy Luke Pearce allegedly living very close to Sandy Park and using the Sandy Park David Lloyd gym also used by the Chiefs. It was even thought he travelled up on Tony Rowe's personal coach.
From memory of that game Pearce was fine it was the TMO that was truly awful. The TMO called back Tigers for minor indiscretions that Pearce had let go on a couple of crucial occasions but didn't interrupt the game once to give us a 50/50 decision or in fact any decision. I was not impressed at the time.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:21 am As Barnes is not available, the chances of a competent ref are negligible.
Where’s Wayne then.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:42 am
wormus wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 am I note that the Premiership Referees for this weekend have not been announced yet, BUT so much relies on the correct unbiased and competent Referee. At the Tigers V Exeter home game on 21st December where we lost in the end 22 - 31 despite two good Jonny May tries. The Referee was Exeter local boy Luke Pearce allegedly living very close to Sandy Park and using the Sandy Park David Lloyd gym also used by the Chiefs. It was even thought he travelled up on Tony Rowe's personal coach.
From memory of that game Pearce was fine it was the TMO that was truly awful. The TMO called back Tigers for minor indiscretions that Pearce had let go on a couple of crucial occasions but didn't interrupt the game once to give us a 50/50 decision or in fact any decision. I was not impressed at the time.
Logic will say that under current conditions local refs will be used where possible to reduce unnecessary travelling, so don’t be surprised if it’s Pearce, just as Ridley will likely get Gloucester games, and I think Maxwell Keyes is a midlander so we may get him.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:37 am As Mark62 says when selecting the team the opinions of Steve Borthwick and ourselves may vary, just because he has seen te players training each day and can assess their current fitness and form, and we have not seen the players on the pitch for several months and some we have never seen, not even on tv does not mean he knows better than us. One thing is for sure whatever the result we cannot be wrong and will be sure to tell Mr Borthwick where he did not get it right.
😂😂
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:43 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:21 am As Barnes is not available, the chances of a competent ref are negligible.
Where’s Wayne then.
He's in quarantine, went to Majorca the day before the restrictions were reimposed so is unavailable for the first two rounds.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Match officials got announced on the tigers page at 9am:

The match officials for Leicester Tigers’ return to rugby after the COVID-19 lockdown have been revealed.
Tom Foley will take the whistle at Sandy Park as Tigers take on Exeter Chiefs in Round 14 of the Gallagher Premiership this Saturday (August 15, 2.00pm).
He will be assisted from the touchlines by Greg Macdonald and Jonathan Healy, while Stuart Terheege will serve as Television Match Official.
Foley last took charge of a Tigers fixture in Round 2 of this season’s Gallagher Premiership, at home to Saracens