Team for Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I think some of the posts do Wallace a disservice.
I was surprised he didn’t get picked up last year by another Prem club. He’s a class operator at 6 or 7, mobile, tenacious, not short on skill.
That’s not to say Reffell can’t or won’t surpass him in time if he follows the trajectory many anticipate, but the here and now I definitely think Wallace brings something.
Ultimately everyone is starting with a relative clean slate with Borthwick, perhaps with the exception of the england contingent, but in reality he’ll pick based on what he’s seen over the last month in training, and what/who suits his gameplan best, past form is irrelevant.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:52 pm I think some of the posts do Wallace a disservice.
I was surprised he didn’t get picked up last year by another Prem club. He’s a class operator at 6 or 7, mobile, tenacious, not short on skill.
That’s not to say Reffell can’t or won’t surpass him in time if he follows the trajectory many anticipate, but the here and now I definitely think Wallace brings something.
Ultimately everyone is starting with a relative clean slate with Borthwick, perhaps with the exception of the england contingent, but in reality he’ll pick based on what he’s seen over the last month in training, and what/who suits his gameplan best, past form is irrelevant.
And that's exactly how the team should be picked.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:23 am
Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:57 pm As we cannot get relegated I would use the end of season games to mix the combinations, and give players a chance to show what they can do., in preparation for next season.
Experiment and lose badly and then the media negativity around the club intensifies again. The players and coaches will want to start to alleviate the pressure and a good performance will do that. The mid week game coming up gives us an ideal three games to mix up the selection.
This.

I thinks it really important for Borthwick to set the tone with a positive start.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

We should play every game with the belief that we can win, selection has to involve some rotation and we should endeavour to use all eight from the bench. Whilst I think it important that we finish as high up the table as we possibly can Borthwick has to use these games to find out just how his players perform in actual match conditions and work out the best combinations. Wallace always looked a great player for Quins but they did release him, I don't recall having seen him play for possibly a couple of years, Reffell I have seen regularly in that time and have always been impressed, he is not only one for the future he is ready now, we have a very well stocked back row with the new signings and I include Sam Lewis, all will have to fight for their place. Whoever makes the team against Exeter a good case can be made for their selection, we have enough games left to play to enable our new coaches to work out just what our best team and game plan will be going forward, exciting times!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:27 pm Having watched a number of the games from New Zealand, one of the things that is clear, that IF the premiership games are officiated to the same standard, a 7 who can stay strong on his feet and go for the ball, without latching, will be invaluable.
When has that ever been the case though?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:53 am
Mark62 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:27 pm Having watched a number of the games from New Zealand, one of the things that is clear, that IF the premiership games are officiated to the same standard, a 7 who can stay strong on his feet and go for the ball, without latching, will be invaluable.
When has that ever been the case though?
We can but hope RB. If anything it’s often been the other way round with Southern Hemisphere refs being laxer on the laws than their northern counterparts
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

When is Jasper Wiese available? :smt017
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I have a feeling that we will put out a competitive team, excluding some of our more established know names and include new signings, protecting anyone less than 100+% fit, for a game we don't need to win, it would be nice, but used as a serious practice match, targeted towards the home games we can win.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

happywomble wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:55 am When is Jasper Wiese available? :smt017
October
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

Isn't it great to have the option of Reffell or Wallace at 7. Possibly even Taufua. For me selection will come down to how each are showing in training and the game plan. The forwards should be strong, I am a bit more concerned about whoever starts with Scott, fullback and the other winger to join Nadolo. It must be the heat because I do think we have a real chance.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:42 pm
happywomble wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:55 am When is Jasper Wiese available? :smt017
October
Cheers RB.

Come Oct/Nov, with Brink, Wiese, Van Wyk and Moroni all to come, its going to be some interesting team selection meetings!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Downsouth wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 pm Isn't it great to have the option of Reffell or Wallace at 7. Possibly even Taufua. For me selection will come down to how each are showing in training and the game plan. The forwards should be strong, I am a bit more concerned about whoever starts with Scott, fullback and the other winger to join Nadolo. It must be the heat because I do think we have a real chance.
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much,a lot of new faces and a new gameplan. Chiefs will be well drilled from 1-23,I'm looking for performance over result in this one
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Downsouth wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 pm Isn't it great to have the option of Reffell or Wallace at 7. Possibly even Taufua.
Plus Brink & Weise to add in to the mix soon too.

Backrow looks a real strength now if the players gel nicely.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:47 am I'm looking at performance over results from now till the end of the season. Let's see if we can improve lineout,kick chase,some attacking play instead of one out runners get isolated and so on. If its incremental each game then the results will follow. It's an ideal time to work on some combinations but I would definitely go full strength v Chiefs. They are heavy favourites so not being negative I fully expect them to win,what we dont want Is a big defeat first game back
Spot on. Let’s see us carry hard into space and offload if it’s on....no one out runners running into the big Chiefs forwards. Kick to compete as well. Exeter do this time and time again. Get Nadolo into the midfield running hard, or as a decoy. Or better still, get the ball wide after narrowing their defence with some line breakers. I’m worried about our defence and whether we’ve done enough work to be proactive and work as a unit. Let’s see how it goes. No more Manu rushing out and creating dog legs !! :smt038

We know what Chiefs will do. But we don’t have a clue what Tigers will do !! Should be interesting. It’s an opportunity for players to put their hand up and show Borthwick what they’re made of.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

happywomble wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:43 pm
RagingBull wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:42 pm
October
Cheers RB.

Come Oct/Nov, with Brink, Wiese, Van Wyk and Moroni all to come, its going to be some interesting team selection meetings!
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/sq ... ate-200810
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity