Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by RagingBull »

Longshanks wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:42 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm Why?
We have 4 games in 2 weeks.
Exeter Away
Bath Home
Irish Home
Gloucester Away

It's pretty obvious why some players might not have been picked despite being fit.

This period is going to require a lot of man managing.
I don't think the strategy is pretty obvious at all. If you are not going to pick your strongest side against the most likely champions then why not hold back in areas where you lack strength in depth - what if Ford had been injured? My personal impression (right or wrong) is that expectations (by players, management and fans) were low ahead of this game enabling a sub-optimal selection.
If a player fitness isn't where it needs/or if it just requires a bit more time to bed in there is no point rushing them. when we have 3 other games that need to be played in short time
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Was disappointed by the performance in the scrum, Exeter prevented us from using it as a platform to build upon, although I feel as though we should have been awarded a penalty for the last scrum as Moon had bored in in my opinion.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I thought the tactical kicking was very good, definitely some positives a lot of work-ons too I felt as though we deserved a losing bonus point.
VernonAtrium

Post by VernonAtrium »

Tigers played well, Exeter played well. After 6-odd months of not playing at all. Ref got about 50% of his calls right. What more do you want?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I don’t think the tactic of tackling the blockers worked in drawing the penalty, yeah okay it was a nice opportunity to give the players a shoulder but I think there was a better way of trying to convince the ref that Exeter were blocking.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

By the way please note that I understand the rusty-ness of the players after 5 months off but nonetheless this is my reflection on their performances:

1. Genge 5/10 - Somewhat quiet, failed to dominate in the squad and was handled very well by the Exeter defence in attack

2. T. Youngs 7.5/10 - No lineout issues, couple of good runs off Exeter mistakes at the tail and some awesome tackles (especially the one that flattened Ewers), good game by the Skipper

3. Cole 6/10 - Again couldn’t dominate in the scrum but made a good turnover off a lineout and managed to keep a more or less clean sheet on the penalty front

4. Lavanini 5/10 - Disappointingly quiet game from the Argentinian but didn’t do much wrong, was outmatches by his opposites Gray and Hill

5. Green 6/10 - Did a nuts and bolts performance, played a good part in the messing up of the Chiefs ruck and lineout

6. Wells 7/10 - Too many offenses puts down his rating, but a niggling, tough, disruptive performance from Wells and was very good in the lineout, however I do feel like we should have gone with more grunt in the back row

7. Reffell 6.5/10 - Very good early on in the breakdown, but became more quiet as the game went on, but does all the unnoticed things very well as usual

8. Taufua 7/10 - Bit naughty with the yellow card and struggled to get on the front foot but was particularly effective in defence with some bruising hits
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The backs...

9. Youngs 7/10 - A quick tap-and-go set the pace and put the Tigers in a great position early on, played at a consistent pace that wasn’t too slow and box-kicked very well (a poor rushed charge down aside), in terms of recent Tigers performances much better from YBY

10. Ford 8/10 - Great control exerted by our George, an amazing drop goal, his tactical kicking was spot on and made a great dummy on the blindside to clear the lines, shame he wasn’t on a better platform to show more in attack but deserved fans favourite

11. Olowofela 6/10 - Good in the air and made a decent half break earlier on but was quiet and unable to involve himself much in attack but it seems to me as though not many wingers have been able to do that across the Prem this weekend.

12. Scott 7/10 - Actually quite rate the partnership emerging between him Taute, good on attack in the opening minutes and was very good in attack but wasn’t able to make quite the same impact from the 1st water break onwards. A class signing in my opinion

13. Taute 6/10 - A very mixed performance, great in defence, some nice passing and link play but his indiscipline and flat-footedness cost Tigers dearly

14. Williams 7/10 - Quite impressed by the Notts loanee, very lively, great play towards the end of the match to get round the outside and punt the ball through which forced the Exeter error but I just think needed a bit more nudge on it, a promising performance

15. Worth 6/10 - Unlucky not to score a try and bar one error was very good in the skies but made some poor clearance kicks and failed to do anything else to add to the game
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The Bench

16. Kerr 6/10 - Hit his arrows which led to the penalty try, didn’t put a foot wrong

17. Leatigaga 8/10 - Great impact off the bench, deserves a start in my opinion, shored up the scrum, made a brilliant turnover at the breakdown and also was very destructive in the carry.

18. Heyes 5/10 - Struggled against Moon in the scrum because his legs were too far back but should have been rewarded on his last scrum though

19. Liebenberg 4/10 - Don’t think he’s much of an impact player, should have been better in the carry but was well handled

20. Wallace 6/10 - Troubled Exeter at the breakdown but had a pass that was intercepted (although we has the advantage), still think will be a good signing

21. Smith 6/10 - Some impressive maul defence but nothing else of note

22. White 5.5/10 Some nice touches and tactical kicking but made a poor pass that potentially cost Tigers a try.

23. Henry N/A unable to make an impact on the game, should have been brought on sooner.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Agree with the ratings mostly but not impressed by the back three.

Olowofela whilst fast and chasing the kicks almost refused to actually compete for the ball in the air when he got to the jumper. Also massively lacking physically for this level.

Williams looked very much a championship player, some basic handling errors.

Worth wasn’t awful in the air, he caught some high balls and dropped others. Definitely not a calm and commanding presence at the back. Terrible kicking from hand too which only invited pressure back on.

Next match at home Steward definitely deserves a shot at 15.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:58 pm Was disappointed by the performance in the scrum, Exeter prevented us from using it as a platform to build upon, although I feel as though we should have been awarded a penalty for the last scrum as Moon had bored in in my opinion.
Heyes was always too long in the scrum. His legs were almost locked out. There's only one way he was going. Down. Scrum penalty every time.

Genge has his feet more "under him". Shorter levers, but an experienced opponent will always drive you down. Making it look like it's your fault.

We need Boris to do his homework after that one.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

JP14 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:20 pm The backs...

9. Youngs 7/10 - A quick tap-and-go set the pace and put the Tigers in a great position early on, played at a consistent pace that wasn’t too slow and box-kicked very well (a poor rushed charge down aside), in terms of recent Tigers performances much better from YBY

10. Ford 8/10 - Great control exerted by our George, an amazing drop goal, his tactical kicking was spot on and made a great dummy on the blindside to clear the lines, shame he wasn’t on a better platform to show more in attack but deserved fans favourite
I thought Youngs was particularly fired up today. He made some big, well timed hits which caught Exeter behind the gain line and played with a really good tempo, bad mistake with the charge down, probably rushed a bit and should have held on until blockers in place etc, but really felt he was trying to lead and boss the game which is what we need.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

To me the jury is still out - one game just to early to make judgement either way.It could though , and has been, far worse at Sandy Park in recent years and lets not forget Exeter are a capable side with immense strength in depth.
Some random thoughts....
We competed and did not capitulate,standing toe to toe physically.
Linout - improved.
Luke Wallace - always a classy operator.
Harry Wells - old school.
The team as a whole performed under pressure but lacked real threat as the game wore on.No surprises , but not despondent.I believe I see desire and heart , which is vitally important.Would like to see these qualities every week from now on in.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Agree with most of what’s already been written. First 30mins in particular the forwards seemed to know their job and pushed Exeter physically.

Like the look of Scott, nothing overly flashy but did very little wrong and was really strong in defence. With centre being a mess over the last few years hoping we can pencil him in at 12 long term.

Leatigaga made a difference when he came on. Looked fit!

A solid enough performance first up when rustiness is bound to have played its part. Sets up the next couple of weeks. Bath and Irish at home I’d expect to see Nadolo and maybe Potter debut.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Top of the Premiership played 11th yesterday afternoon and there was only ever going to be one result. Exeter took a while to settle - due to Tigers’ enthusiasm out of the blocks, but with players of the pedigree of Ewers, LCD, Gray and Hogg, for example, Tigers did well to restrict the winning margin to 13 points. The Exeter bench was impressive too. Having players like Armand coming on for the last 20 is a luxury indeed. A gutsy performance from Tigers that augurs well for this season’s remaining games. Changes, however, will be made and I hope Steward gets his chance next week and hopefully we’ll get a glimpse of Nadolo.
Semper in excretia
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

I am still optimistic for the future. This season (barring top 4 placings) is over, isn't it?
SB is looking at the bigger picture - getting to know his players "under fire in the heat of battle". Surely he has to manage his squad over the next few weeks with midweek games to consider. Maybe he is under advisement from one EJ to only play England lads for a limited number of games so they are ready to finish 6N. Who knows?

I watched the game thinking that the first 35ish Minutes of the first half we put Exeter to the sword barring try scoring.
after that penalties hurt us. As others have stated, I could not see why some were awarded.
Yes Exeter were cute by blocking and infringing at the break down and actually pinged for "truck and trailer".Yes they played to the ref and when your confident, you can get away with it.
I was glad to see we competed for the full 80. We had a defensive line that worked.We supported each other and there was a lot of chat. I saw a united team .Attack needs to improve but I did see diagonal running lines and a shifting point of attack, something lacking over recent seasons. We were never going to get a W over Exeter however we we not made to look second best in large areas of the game. :smt023