Team for Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am Leicester Tigers have announced their intentions to take the knee and that is a decision that has to be respected. Individuals are entitled to their own opinions and how they support the cause. This is a very emotional topic but not to be underestimated.
Please could we stick to discussing the rugby match on this thread.
Thanks
:smt023
I’m sorry but the “entitled to own opinions” just doesn’t wash for me and to not engage in strong debate & to see the post in question edited & now be told to ignore inherent issues and discuss the rugby is a bit naive.

I was brought up that if you see racism/sexism/discrimination you call it out and challenge it.

Recent & wide ranging demonstrations in support of BLM came as a result of numerous deaths of BAME in the USA at the hands of the police over many years with the recent movment and protests being triggered in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd.

BLM is intrinsically a movement to end all racism with the trigger being the oppression of the black community in the USA but transferable to the disadvantages BAME community’s face here in the UK.

To use the All Lives Matter argument (not made in the post I mentioned I haste the to add) is a bit like criticising Help the Aged for not helping every age. The point is the BLM is highlighting police brutality but also casual and flagrant discrimation of BAME communities.

As such, to not support the principles of BLM is effectively to support racism because if you don’t want racism to end what do you want...

Consequently, to suggest you won’t support your rugby club because they are adopting one of the key symbolic gestures (taking a knee) of the black / BAME struggle as used by civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King is simply flabbergasting to me.

To reach that point where you’d disown your rugby club for taking a knee in solidarity with BLM is one thing (I would still find it impossible to reach that point considering the context) but to actually type it out on a forum is extraordinary.

(for those not aware the post to which I am refereeing has been edited from its original wording and no longer appears - nor does my original flippant reply)

The good thing is that the current wave of protests and demonstrations and provokes this debate and if Tigers taking a knee means that discrimination of All types gets highlighted and addressed here, on twitter or in the pub is a good thing.

Well done Tigers
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 pm
happywomble wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:13 pm Quite proud that Tigers are one of the three teams to take a knee for BLM

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 66911.html
And quite pleased that the topic once again highlights those who don't support the removal of racism from our society by helping those who suffer racist abuse and worse. Don't give me the bull about it not happening, I have recent examples from Lichfield and Ashbourne where people are abused in the streets.
Lets not pretend that racism is a one way street. Walking back from a game at the Ricoh I was informed by a very black woman who objected to cars parked on her street that she ":censored: hated white people". Its wrong whatever colour you are.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

While I agree that we should be talking about rugby, I'll keep the topic going for at least one more post :smt023

Ignoring everyone's personal opinions and what should be done about it etc, there's no denying that there is no diversity in rugby union when it comes to coaching and running of the professional clubs:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -key-roles

As has been said, everyone will have their own opinion on what should or shouldn't be done about it...
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 am
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am Leicester Tigers have announced their intentions to take the knee and that is a decision that has to be respected. Individuals are entitled to their own opinions and how they support the cause. This is a very emotional topic but not to be underestimated.
Thanks
I’m sorry but the “entitled to own opinions” just doesn’t wash for me and to not engage in strong debate & to see the post in question edited & now be told to ignore inherent issues and discuss the rugby is a bit naive.

I was brought up that if you see racism/sexism/discrimination you call it out and challenge it.

Recent & wide ranging demonstrations in support of BLM came as a result of numerous deaths of BAME in the USA at the hands of the police over many years with the recent movment and protests being triggered in the aftermath of the death of George Floyd.

BLM is intrinsically a movement to end all racism with the trigger being the oppression of the black community in the USA but transferable to the disadvantages BAME community’s face here in the UK.

To use the All Lives Matter argument (not made in the post I mentioned I haste the to add) is a bit like criticising Help the Aged for not helping every age. The point is the BLM is highlighting police brutality but also casual and flagrant discrimation of BAME communities.

As such, to not support the principles of BLM is effectively to support racism because if you don’t want racism to end what do you want...

Consequently, to suggest you won’t support your rugby club because they are adopting one of the key symbolic gestures (taking a knee) of the black / BAME struggle as used by civil rights leaders like Martin Luther King is simply flabbergasting to me.

To reach that point where you’d disown your rugby club for taking a knee in solidarity with BLM is one thing (I would still find it impossible to reach that point considering the context) but to actually type it out on a forum is extraordinary.

(for those not aware the post to which I am refereeing has been edited from its original wording and no longer appears - nor does my original flippant reply)

The good thing is that the current wave of protests and demonstrations and provokes this debate and if Tigers taking a knee means that discrimination of All types gets highlighted and addressed here, on twitter or in the pub is a good thing.

Well done Tigers
Understand TigerBeat why you want to shut down these discussions and I wouldn’t want to be in your position but I’m with DeadlyDunc here. The whole point of this movement is to provoke thought about actions so don’t think we should try to create a ‘safe haven’ from this in any aspect of our lives, online or not.
lwade1986

Post by lwade1986 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 am
Thanks

Well done Tigers
+100000

Well done Tigers, thank you for standing up and being counted. I won't say a lot on the matter but as a mixed race Rugby lover, I am acutely aware I am in a minority within a minority. Happy to see Tigers taking the knee, I think for those who are not, they do not understand the debate or the movement (don't want to believe it is due to anything else) - but they could definitely do with reading the above post.

Thank you DeadlyDunc :smt038
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Any updates on what the side is going to look like., trying to bring thread back on topic.

From trying to glean as much as I can from photos I’m going with

Genge, Youngs, Cole, Lavanini, Enever, Liebenberg, Wallace, Taufua
Youngs, Ford, Nadolo, Scott, Taute, Olowefela, Worth.

Bench- Kerr, Lady Gaga, Heyes, Wells, Reffell, White, Hardwick, Henry.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

"As such, to not support the principles of BLM is effectively to support racism because if you don’t want racism to end what do you want..."

Absolute :censored:. This is about not kowtowing to a Black Power movement, I'd say the same for any 'movement' that wanted me to kneel and do a political salute. This should be kept out of sport.

I will tell you this - I will not kneel for this or any other 'movement' that tries to force such conformity. You'd have to force me to the ground and that would need several front rowers I can tell you. Someone has to take a stand against all this 'woke' nonsense.

Anyway, as I said, I'm done with this club, that should cheer some of you up anyway.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

G.K wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:27 am "As such, to not support the principles of BLM is effectively to support racism because if you don’t want racism to end what do you want..."

Absolute :censored:. This is about not kowtowing to a Black Power movement, I'd say the same for any 'movement' that wanted me to kneel and do a political salute. This should be kept out of sport.

I will tell you this - I will not kneel for this or any other 'movement' that tries to force such conformity. You'd have to force me to the ground and that would need several front rowers I can tell you. Someone has to take a stand against all this 'woke' nonsense.

Anyway, as I said, I'm done with this club, that should cheer some of you up anyway.

I have to agree that while I personally have no problem with people taking a knee, if it’s what they wish to do, the use of the raised clenched fist, first used by Black Power, a terrorist group in New York in the 1960s, does irritate me a little.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

You've got it Mark...
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Most Exeter fans on the unofficial site expect a bonus point win by chiefs and a 20-30 point winning margin. Let’s hope that we can shut them up :smt016
A2O
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

happywomble wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:13 pm Quite proud that Tigers are one of the three teams to take a knee for BLM

Indeed so am I, people should read Ugo Monye's comments on the BBC, we can still take the knee and show togetherness without supporting the BLM organisation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53741370
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

JP14 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:53 am

Indeed so am I, people should read Ugo Monye's comments on the BBC, we can still take the knee and show togetherness without supporting the BLM organisation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53741370
Now JP14 you’ve written 2 words there that mean I won’t be reading the article Ugo Monye
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:08 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:22 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:59 pm As a team from a culturally diverse city, its important to me that Tigers reflects that, if it's done once, it makes a far more powerful effect than before every game, I wouldn't be against another show of solidarity before our 1st home game either.
We have just released an away shirt that celebrates the diversity of our city and will be likely wearing that in the game Vs Exeter. You can't get much more solidarity than that.
But look at the coaching and management levels of the club. Hardly the model of diversity. Rugby has a long way to go still!
Agreed we do need more diversity in management and in coaching, but this is still a step in the right direction. I understand there needs to be more than gestures, Prem Rugby has "committed" to encouraging more diversity in these kinds of areas, I would really like more women in this too, Tigers is leading the way with Andrea as CEO.

I just hope society will come to a point where your sex, orientation, religion, race etc won't be a factor it will purely just be a meritocracy.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

G.K wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 am Leicester Tigers will take part in the competition-wide acknowledgement of Rugby Against Racism ahead of kick-off. The matchday squad will, as one, take a knee during the period allocated ahead of the match getting underway.

Well that's me gone as a supporter then. I'm against racism but I won't support this pathetic kowtowing.
You will be missed :smt039.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:48 am Most Exeter fans on the unofficial site expect a bonus point win by chiefs and a 20-30 point winning margin. Let’s hope that we can shut them up :smt016
If I was Exeter, I would be more worried about this fixture than Tigers.
No one knows how teams are going to come out of lockdown, and Tigers are a team keen to impress the new coaches with absolutely nothing to lose