Team for Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As a team from a culturally diverse city, its important to me that Tigers reflects that, if it's done once, it makes a far more powerful effect than before every game, I wouldn't be against another show of solidarity before our 1st home game either.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:58 pm
Mark62 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:57 pm
RagingBull wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:51 pm so if no one is making a fuse about teams not taking a knee why are people questioning us taking one and how it might make some "uncomfortable".
Twisting my words there RB. What I’m saying is that if everyone of the 23 man squad is happy taking a knee, same with the coaching staff, but if even 1 player feels uncomfortable doing so he shouldn’t feel pressured to do so.
Not unreasonable is it, isn’t that what this political protest is all about, everybody being equal, and having the right to make their own decisions.

I mean you said it was peer pressure.
Ok I should have said it could be peer pressure because in a group of 23 adults not everyone is going to feel the same, but might not feel they can speak out or they could have agree to go with the majority.
I would have thought that would be blindingly obvious
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:59 pm As a team from a culturally diverse city, its important to me that Tigers reflects that, if it's done once, it makes a far more powerful effect than before every game, I wouldn't be against another show of solidarity before our 1st home game either.
Pakistani cricket team didn’t feel the need to make such a public statement
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I'm just saying why does it matter.
Why does it need to be potentially questioned even hypothetically? just like why those who are not taking knee shouldn't be questioned.

I'm sure the club talk about it fully with everyone.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:07 pm I'm just saying why does it matter.
Why does it need to be potentially questioned even hypothetically? just like why those who are not taking knee shouldn't be questioned.

I'm sure the club talk about it fully with everyone.
Might have been easier if you’d said that in the first place.
I’m sure they do and I’m sure everyone is fully happy with the decision
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:59 pm As a team from a culturally diverse city, its important to me that Tigers reflects that, if it's done once, it makes a far more powerful effect than before every game, I wouldn't be against another show of solidarity before our 1st home game either.
We have just released an away shirt that celebrates the diversity of our city and will be likely wearing that in the game Vs Exeter. You can't get much more solidarity than that.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:22 pm
We have just released an away shirt that celebrates the diversity of our city and will be likely wearing that in the game Vs Exeter. You can't get much more solidarity than that.
But look at the coaching and management levels of the club. Hardly the model of diversity. Rugby has a long way to go still!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:22 pm
New kit isn’t being worn till next season, and if you want to drill down to that level, a player doesn’t really get a choice as to what shirt he wears if he’s playing for a club.
I’m all for supporting BLM, it is hugely important across the world, but what does it really have to do with a rugby match between 1 team from the English West Country and the other from the Midlands.
Unfortunately, mainly due to my postings we have drifted wildly off thread so won’t comment on this matter again, other than to say IMO people’s, teams actions, are being driven by an over privileged sportsman who earns over £40 million a year.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:42 am
wormus wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:07 am I note that the Premiership Referees for this weekend have not been announced yet, BUT so much relies on the correct unbiased and competent Referee. At the Tigers V Exeter home game on 21st December where we lost in the end 22 - 31 despite two good Jonny May tries. The Referee was Exeter local boy Luke Pearce allegedly living very close to Sandy Park and using the Sandy Park David Lloyd gym also used by the Chiefs. It was even thought he travelled up on Tony Rowe's personal coach.
Let us see the reaction of Steve to incompetent refereeing. :smt012
From memory of that game Pearce was fine it was the TMO that was truly awful. The TMO called back Tigers for minor indiscretions that Pearce had let go on a couple of crucial occasions but didn't interrupt the game once to give us a 50/50 decision or in fact any decision. I was not impressed at the time.
Agreed the TMO was Rowan Kitt, (possibly related to Eartha,) he had a terrible game before deciding Jonny May had scored but I thought the Referee was the sole authority on the field but not in the case of Pearce & Kitt.
Another TMO of similar "King of Uncertainty" is south west based David Rose who has had issues here before.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

No idea what Exeter’s weekly training timetable is like but I would imagine they would do some training on a Wednesday.

Jack Nowell Instagram has shown him doing promo work for Red Bull on a beach all day, so his participation could be in doubt.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

happywomble wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:13 pm Quite proud that Tigers are one of the three teams to take a knee for BLM

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 66911.html
And quite pleased that the topic once again highlights those who don't support the removal of racism from our society by helping those who suffer racist abuse and worse. Don't give me the bull about it not happening, I have recent examples from Lichfield and Ashbourne where people are abused in the streets.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Leicester Tigers will take part in the competition-wide acknowledgement of Rugby Against Racism ahead of kick-off. The matchday squad will, as one, take a knee during the period allocated ahead of the match getting underway.

Well that's me gone as a supporter then. I'm against racism but I won't support this pathetic kowtowing.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Leicester Tigers have announced their intentions to take the knee and that is a decision that has to be respected. Individuals are entitled to their own opinions and how they support the cause. This is a very emotional topic but not to be underestimated.
Please could we stick to discussing the rugby match on this thread.
Thanks
:smt023
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

G.K wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:52 am Leicester Tigers will take part in the competition-wide acknowledgement of Rugby Against Racism ahead of kick-off. The matchday squad will, as one, take a knee during the period allocated ahead of the match getting underway.

Well that's me gone as a supporter then. I'm against racism but I won't support this pathetic kowtowing.
:smt006
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am Leicester Tigers have announced their intentions to take the knee and that is a decision that has to be respected. Individuals are entitled to their own opinions and how they support the cause. This is a very emotional topic but not to be underestimated.
Please could we stick to discussing the rugby match on this thread.
Thanks
:smt023
Good position to take. And please feel free to take down posts deliberately designed to cause non-rugby conflict of opinion. There are, as I have posted before, considerable differences of political opinion within Tigers supporters, and given the rancid nature of debate outside the forum it is nice to be in a rugby space, discussing rugby. I volunteer to refrain, myself :smt001
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.