Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Ringfencing NOW upon us ?

Post by kk20gb30 »

Apparently proposals set to be approved :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/gallagher-premie ... ive-years/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Ringfencing almost upon us ?

Post by loretta »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 am Apparently proposals set to be approved :

If we have to do this, I’d prefer to keep it to 12 teams, no promotion from here on, why increase the risk of player burn out?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

loretta wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:57 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:55 am Apparently proposals set to be approved :

If we have to do this, I’d prefer to keep it to 12 teams, no promotion from here on, why increase the risk of player burn out?
I’m assuming because there are 13 teams in the premiership group.
Not ideal but it saves the future of clubs in the premiership and below, then so be it.

IMHO people’s concerns about there being nothing to play for aren’t correct, there will still be places in the different European competitions to play for, as well there being far greater opportunities to blood young talent, without fear of relegation.
bendy

Post by bendy »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:11 am

I’m assuming because there are 13 teams in the premiership group.
Not ideal but it saves the future of clubs in the premiership and below, then so be it.

IMHO people’s concerns about there being nothing to play for aren’t correct, there will still be places in the different European competitions to play for, as well there being far greater opportunities to blood young talent, without fear of relegation.
Yes, I think I'd agree with this. I know people don't like it - but the American model of professional sports (be it NFL, NHL, NBA or MLB) shows you can still have competitive leagues and meaningful fixtures throughout a season without relegation. It may even allow the game to be a little more creative - higher salary caps for teams finishing 11th-13th next season for example - to increase the level of competition.

For the record, I'm against the proposal - it feels contrary to a lot of the spirit of the game - but if we have to accept it, I'm saying it could still work.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Yes the nothing to play for line is nonsense,apart from very,very recently there has always been one team that has been cut adrift so there has never been,to use a football team,a relegation battle. There will still be playoffs and European places to play for,I'm all for it and cant wait for it to happen!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

If it does come into force, let's hope it starts next season, with just relegation and no promotion. :smt005 :smt023
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Sadly I think that Covid made ringfencing not only unavoidable but also necessary. The losses that the premiership clubs have sustained need to be financed and recouped. Even one season in the championship with less TV revenue and the potential loss in gate receipts and sponsorship revenue may well be enough to kill off any club without a significant financial backer to foot the bill.

Yes, it ends the romanticism of promotion and the drama of a relegation battle but we lose those to the benefit of club survival. Even now we have clubs facing the fact that they could not afford to run even with the current funding in place and to take any of that away for even a season could spell the end for a number of clubs. Ringfencing was the only way.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:27 pm If it does come into force, let's hope it starts next season, with just relegation and no promotion. :smt005 :smt023
It’s scheduled for the start of the 21/22 season, they’re obviously hoping Saracens get promoted, though there will be no more relegation
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I just don't like 13 (or any odd number of teams in a league) rest weeks combined with international windows means some clubs will have internationals for more of their games.

Even if the cup were to be dramatically reduced to balance fixtures in the league I think a 14 team would make so much more sense
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

GB72 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:34 pm Sadly I think that Covid made ringfencing not only unavoidable but also necessary. The losses that the premiership clubs have sustained need to be financed and recouped. Even one season in the championship with less TV revenue and the potential loss in gate receipts and sponsorship revenue may well be enough to kill off any club without a significant financial backer to foot the bill.

Yes, it ends the romanticism of promotion and the drama of a relegation battle but we lose those to the benefit of club survival. Even now we have clubs facing the fact that they could not afford to run even with the current funding in place and to take any of that away for even a season could spell the end for a number of clubs. Ringfencing was the only way.
The £2 million + parachute payment may help.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm I just don't like 13 (or any odd number of teams in a league) rest weeks combined with international windows means some clubs will have internationals for more of their games.

Even if the cup were to be dramatically reduced to balance fixtures in the league I think a 14 team would make so much more sense
Don’t quite get your logic, but fair enough.
14 teams would mean more fixtures, without the 2 rest weekends 13 teams allow
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Mark62 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:07 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm I just don't like 13 (or any odd number of teams in a league) rest weeks combined with international windows means some clubs will have internationals for more of their games.

Don’t quite get your logic, but fair enough.
14 teams would mean more fixtures, without the 2 rest weekends 13 teams allow
The logic is, there's 5 weekend's when 6 nations are played. During that 5 out of 13 teams will have a rest weekend, meaning 5 teams will have internationals available for more games per season than other clubs. The other 8 clubs have a rest while international players are available for them.

If you reduced fixtures in the cup, the extra games in the league are counted by a reduction in the cup.

More importantly though, each team plays every gameweek so nobody is gaining an advantage
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Up to Ealing now to do everyone a favour, but unfortunately with Harlequins pillaging their props, Reid signing for Gloucester etc their squad is getting weaker...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Just a thought.

If the league gets ring fenced - how can a side be relegated as a punishment?

Will negative points from deductions roll over to the next season?
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

mol2 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:26 pm Just a thought.

If the league gets ring fenced - how can a side be relegated as a punishment?

Will negative points from deductions roll over to the next season?
The ring fencing isn’t taking place till the season 21/22, by which time it’s expected Saracens will be one of the 13 team premiership.
They were automatically relegated, the points deduction was to certain degree secondary, they will start the 20/21 season on 0 points like all sides in the championship