Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Ringfencing almost upon us ?

Post by mol2 »

Not a fan of ring fencing.

I could make a case for a year or two because of the financial knock on of Covid to minimise the risk of teams going bust.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Covid is very convenient excuse for a lot of things, isn't it?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:28 pm Covid is very convenient excuse for a lot of things, isn't it?
I wouldn’t say that COVID is an excuse just a valid reason for clubs being in deep financial trouble
A2O
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Covid is a reason for a business being in financial difficulties, it is not a reason for ringfencing and bringing in a policy a few clubs want to suit themselves but not of benefit to the many. I cannot support such a scheme and will cease to be a season ticket holder if it is brought in. I am not saying I will never attend Tigers again but I will pick and choose my matches and may decide to watch a lower level of Rugby instead, maybe even soccer for proper competitive league games.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I have no problem with ringfencing. That being said, if they do ringfence then they should at least try and improve the championship as well. I fail to see why it can't be like the Pro D2 in France.

The current championship isn't fit for purpose - the relegated team comes straight back up, or you need a team like Ealing that puts an enormous amount of money in compared to every other team, and still doesn't necessarily beat the relegated premiership team.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I think it's possible to have relegation/promotion but not have a closed door.

So an expansion team could be considered based on their finances, the organisation, their facilities and the level of performance.

Equally there could be some criteria for when a club may be dropped from the League based along similar criteria.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I don't understand the maths, 13 teams, presumably the current 12 plus Sarries? so where does Ealing fit in, that makes 14, or does this coming years relegated club (hopefully not Tigers) not get in?
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:17 am 'Informed' speculation from Neal Harvey in 'The Rugby Paper' (6/12/20) states that a 13 team Premiership with a moratorium on promotion and relegation is realistically set to be announced by January 2021 for the following season(s).Effectively , this paves the way for the return of Saracens plus potentially any other side(s) based on the their ability to meet financial requirements and resting on the purchase of Premiership shares (Presumably Ealing in the foreground of thought)....This latter point/pre requisite due to the fact that any new Premiership participant would be guaranteeing themselves access to future Premiership revenue streams.
Hopefully I have accurately précised the article.
Buying your way to the Premiership ??
Only thing I could fine was this a Neale Harvey conversation with London Irish chairman Allan Robson:
Would you like to see a franchised model or simply a moratorium on promotion and relegation?

Close the league off, moratorium, they’re all of a similar nature. The fact of the matter is there is not one other club outside the 13 who could justifiably say they could compete with those Premiership teams. As much as we’d be quite happy if someone said they could take part, each year at the moment one Premiership club with a top-class structure, that has spent a fortune over many years developing itself, has to spend a year outside the top-flight. Ealing, if they up the ante and recognise the need to buy-in to share what the Premiership clubs have already built, are the only likely people to challenge that at the moment so, yes, a moratorium is sensible. It gives Ealing, Doncaster or whoever the opportunity to build something over a period of time and then get a shot.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The Championship restart has been pushed back to March from the end of January so at this moment in time there will be no ringfencing this season.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 am The Championship restart has been pushed back to March from the end of January so at this moment in time there will be no ringfencing this season.
Had a bit of a look around for that one Scott, but can only find reference to the RFL. Do you have a link to the announcement please?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

loretta wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:28 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:22 am The Championship restart has been pushed back to March from the end of January so at this moment in time there will be no ringfencing this season.
Had a bit of a look around for that one Scott, but can only find reference to the RFL. Do you have a link to the announcement please?
Can’t seem to find it now. Should have saved the link,it was on Newsnow Rugby Union. I’ll keep looking 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:30 am
loretta wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:28 am
Can’t seem to find it now. Should have saved the link,it was on Newsnow Rugby Union. I’ll keep looking 👍
Here Scott1 and Loretta is the normally reliable on Rugby matters article from the Daily Mail. :smt114
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... March.html
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Ta. Looks likely then. Daily Mail's usually well informed on rugby, that and the date.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

The Times saying postponement until March is expected to be announced shortly.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....