Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Ringfencing almost upon us ?

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

ourla wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:07 pm
GETHIN EXILE wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:36 pm Sarries do not have a large enough ground capacity without temporary stands or rebuilding neither do they have a big enough fan base either so realistically they should have to be re-assessed for suitability before being allowed to return.
They have an adequate ground for their general needs and plenty of other options for bigger games.

Their attendance for standard home matches is at least as good as Sharks and Worcester.

By any measure I believe Saracens are up to par for the Prem.
Yet I’d prefer to have any of the current Championship clubs in the Premiership over Saracens.

Also, attendance is irrelevant. So long as the stadium is “big enough” the attendance can be 100, for example.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The attendance at Exeter and Worcester prior to them being promoted to the Premiership was not great, fans arrive with success as do visiting supporters. Being in the Premiership creates investment opportunities that are not available to the lower leagues. Ground capacity is a problem but with perfectly good soccer stadiums all over the country many I am sure would be willing to ground share to gain income that should not be a problem if the suits are a little more understanding in allowing promotion conditional on having a suitable ground instead of demanding that contracts are signed in the early part of the year before promotion is sure as they did with Rotherham.
Cornish Pirates do have a problem until the County stadium is built in Truro, Jersey have a similar difficulty and unfortunately do not have the local population to draw on, they may need to try a ground share with Bournmouth and make a deal with Condor Ferries.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:17 pm They can ground share.
Some of them could, many couldn't. And as we've seen with other examples ground share's can be difficult.

And there are other reasons why it wouldn't work for some. Just go through the list and figure it out.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 pm [Yet I’d prefer to have any of the current Championship clubs in the Premiership over Saracens.
Yes but that is irrational and pure spite.
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 pmAlso, attendance is irrelevant. So long as the stadium is “big enough” the attendance can be 100, for example.
I was looking at the comparable attendance. Sarries, Sale, Worcester all get 8 to 10,000 for home matches. Sale and Worcester have slightly bigger grounds but don't get any more.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:23 pm The attendance at Exeter and Worcester prior to them being promoted to the Premiership was not great, fans arrive with success as do visiting supporters. Being in the Premiership creates investment opportunities that are not available to the lower leagues. Ground capacity is a problem but with perfectly good soccer stadiums all over the country many I am sure would be willing to ground share to gain income that should not be a problem if the suits are a little more understanding in allowing promotion conditional on having a suitable ground instead of demanding that contracts are signed in the early part of the year before promotion is sure as they did with Rotherham.
Cornish Pirates do have a problem until the County stadium is built in Truro, Jersey have a similar difficulty and unfortunately do not have the local population to draw on, they may need to try a ground share with Bournmouth and make a deal with Condor Ferries.
We need to be realistic. This is pro/elite sport.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

ourla wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 pm [Yet I’d prefer to have any of the current Championship clubs in the Premiership over Saracens.
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:20 pmAlso, attendance is irrelevant. So long as the stadium is “big enough” the attendance can be 100, for example.
I was looking at the comparable attendance. Sarries, Sale, Worcester all get 8 to 10,000 for home matches. Sale and Worcester have slightly bigger grounds but don't get any more.
Looking at the attendances is irrelevant. The regulations state the stadium needs to have a certain capacity but nowhere does it say how many people need to be in there.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

ourla wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:36 pm
Some of them could, many couldn't. And as we've seen with other examples ground share's can be difficult.

And there are other reasons why it wouldn't work for some. Just go through the list and figure it out.
I personally don’t like the stadium rule. I believe the team that wins the Championship should be promoted irrelevant of stadiums capacity etc
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:17 pm
Looking at the attendances is irrelevant. The regulations state the stadium needs to have a certain capacity but nowhere does it say how many people need to be in there.
I'm looking beyond regulations. If there is already a pro club in the area (such as Coventry - Wasps) it's hard to see how the fan base can be significantly expanded or that it is not a threat to Wasps fan base.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:19 pm

I personally don’t like the stadium rule. I believe the team that wins the Championship should be promoted irrelevant of stadiums capacity etc
Do you understand why the stadium rule is there?
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

ourla wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm
TigerBoy1880 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:17 pm

I'm looking beyond regulations. If there is already a pro club in the area (such as Coventry - Wasps) it's hard to see how the fan base can be significantly expanded or that it is not a threat to Wasps fan base.
Why does the fan base need to be expanded? If there’s only 100 then so be it. Those fans have watched their team in the Championship and then get to watch their team in the top league.

Why would other teams need to worry? If fans are already going to support Wasps, to use your example, why would they choose to go and support another team?!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Agree,again 😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

ourla wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Do you understand why the stadium rule is there?
Vaguely
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If the stadium doesn’t fit the criteria/safety requirements etc then the team should be given the chance to arrange ground share and if they can’t then maybe they play every game away?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:06 pm If the stadium doesn’t fit the criteria/safety requirements etc then the team should be given the chance to arrange ground share and if they can’t then maybe they play every game away?
Unfortunately due to some clubs already ground sharing I don't think it would be possible for a team to only play away games
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GETHIN EXILE wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:33 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:06 pm If the stadium doesn’t fit the criteria/safety requirements etc then the team should be given the chance to arrange ground share and if they can’t then maybe they play every game away?
Unfortunately due to some clubs already ground sharing I don't think it would be possible for a team to only play away games
Good point!