'The Ruck' lists Rugby's 'dirtiest ' players...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: 'The Ruck' lists Rugby's 'dirtiest ' players...

Post by BFG »

:smt062 :smt119
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:31 am
Scott1 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:55 am Bakkies Botha?
Top of the list Scott.
I should've looked haha thanks 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Botha was a dirty player that was clear but in my opinion he was hard done with the ban in 2009.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

Neil Back for his assault on Steve Lander, I’m quite happy to see rugby players having a go at each other, part of the game in my opinion and forgotten when game is over.
Rugby players are trained to take physical tackles and hits etc but referees are not. Back should not have played rugby again after his assault on a referee.
If that happened at that time in a junior rugby match I’m sure that the offending player would have got a lifetime ban.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm Neil Back for his assault on Steve Lander, I’m quite happy to see rugby players having a go at each other, part of the game in my opinion and forgotten when game is over.
Rugby players are trained to take physical tackles and hits etc but referees are not. Back should not have played rugby again after his assault on a referee.
If that happened at that time in a junior rugby match I’m sure that the offending player would have got a lifetime ban.
But he thought it was Andy Robinson.....he was lucky though, although it wasn't the biggest crime that day....only the half price buffet car on Midland Mainline made that day bearable.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

As soon as I saw the list I thought of Danny Grewcock, very good player but seriously let down by his discipline. Made Johnno seem like an angel in comparison.
daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by daktari »

JPC1983 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:18 am I think Johno handed some retribution to McCrae
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/johnso ... -1.1122944
Didn’t McCrae make a miraculous quick recovery after the hearing?
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
BigDan50
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by BigDan50 »

I met Johno during a question and answer meeting on the lions tour 2005, he was asked who he thought was the hardest and meanest player he had played against and his response was Danny Grewcock, he also mentioned Graham Dawe of Bath as the player when Tigers played against him was not the dirtiest but the one player you couldn’t intimidate In any way and the only player who always got the better of Cockers, that coming from Johno is praise indeed.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:08 am No Dylan Hartley? He wracked up more than a year of suspensions.

I'd still have Clark top of the list. That was just pure thuggery and the citing commissioners pathetic scheduling of the ban still angers me.
I really don’t see Hartley as a dirty player. Stupid maybe, but he was more than adequately punished I think.

Clark Was awful, should have been a three year ban. Even that wasn’t quite as bad as Umaga and Mealamu on BOD. What looked like an pre-meditated spear tackle off the ball and after the ref had blown the whistle as I recall. The officiating on that one was shameful.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BigDan50 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:02 pm Neil Back for his assault on Steve Lander, I’m quite happy to see rugby players having a go at each other, part of the game in my opinion and forgotten when game is over.
Interesting bit of trolling there BigDan50, along your usual lines
It was dealt with at the time, Back accepted the 6 month ban, and if you believe the written accounts of a few that were there at the time, Back didn’t even realise he had done it till he was back in the sheds, and was approached by Johnson and Richards.

We are discussing dirty play not a shove the didn’t even push him over.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

+ 1
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Tigers players are never dirty, they just make honest mistakes. All Wasps and Sarries players from the last two decades, on the other hand...

:smt003
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:38 am Tigers players are never dirty, they just make honest mistakes. All Wasps and Sarries players from the last two decades, on the other hand...

:smt003
....and Saints......
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I feel that Danny Grewcock was hard done to. One of his offences was punching Dalaglio. Surely that should have resulted in a reduction in the level of punishment :smt017 :smt003
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

voice of the crumbie wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:01 am I feel that Danny Grewcock was hard done to. One of his offences was punching Dalaglio. Surely that should have resulted in a reduction in the level of punishment :smt017 :smt003
Doesn't Dayglo tell some tale of early in his career in a lineout, Deano just turned & punched him in the face, Dayglo asks what that was for, Deano just shrugs.
To win is not as important as playing with style!