'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by kk20gb30 »

Bound to divide opinion , but well worth a look for the sake of curiosity :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/each-premiership ... een-named/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by Mark62 »

Interesting you wouldn’t disagree with a lot of them.
Forgot Nemani had been at Exeter, his career has kicked on since then.
No way Barrow was a marquee player, I would counter him with Haskell as Saints worse signing.
Tigers Pietersen, I can remember him having a least one decent game, I would counter him with JDV
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Bit unfair on Sean O’Brien, he would have made more than one appearance if it wasn’t for a certain pandemic.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

JPP had a better strike rate then most of out current wingers...

His positional play was also excellent - he made it a lot easier for players like Veianu to get the ball in space. No idea what he was paid though and definitely wasn't worth huge amounts if that's true.

Have to agree, JDV has to be a worse signing than JPP!
BG01

Post by BG01 »

Yes this is massive revisionism on JPP. I'd encourage anyone to go back and watch those games - he was very good.

In fact I ran some player ratings among fans at the time and he was consistently in our top 3 players.

I think fair to have a discussion on whether he fitted our game plan and whether he made the impact on the wing that eg Alex Tuilagi did. But he was good and if we were a better team we would have got more out of him.

I'm not saying he was our best ever signing but we've certainly paid a lot more for a lot less.
Never believe generalisations
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I was surprised that Dom Barrow was signed by Saints (from us) as a marquee player.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Have to remember in order to sign Pietersen we released Goneva, Pietersen was certainly a class player but lazy. JDV was if I remember correctly an injury dispensation signing and only had a 3 month contract. If we gave some though to selecting our worst ever signings I am sure we could come up with many more names, Tournaire, Fonua, Gaynor come to mind.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

JPP wasn't a bad player he just didn't justify the cost, JDV was only ever short term and when he did play (twice I think) he actually looked really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ6xgNh1Fzs
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Gareth Raynor. Came to Tigers a Rugby league try scoring machine. Left shortly after.....
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Jérôme Schuster was one of our worst signings in recent times, arrived as a French international prop and I'm pretty sure he only played once and got battered by Worcester in scrums
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 am Have to remember in order to sign Pietersen we released Goneva, Pietersen was certainly a class player but lazy. JDV was if I remember correctly an injury dispensation signing and only had a 3 month contract. If we gave some though to selecting our worst ever signings I am sure we could come up with many more names, Tournaire, Fonua, Gaynor come to mind.
Tournaire is a great shout, came as one of the worlds top tight heads, looked like he played for Oadby Wyggs 2nds while he was here
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The usual tabloid style clickbait...

Here's hoping in a couple of years Nadolo is on an equally pointless list of best Premiership signings.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

kpj tiger wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:47 am Jérôme Schuster was one of our worst signings in recent times, arrived as a French international prop and I'm pretty sure he only played once and got battered by Worcester in scrums
Seem to remember Sarries battering Schuster in the scrum as well. A prop that couldn't prop. So much for the international that could play both sides we thought we were getting.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am
johnthegriff wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 am Have to remember in order to sign Pietersen we released Goneva, Pietersen was certainly a class player but lazy. JDV was if I remember correctly an injury dispensation signing and only had a 3 month contract. If we gave some though to selecting our worst ever signings I am sure we could come up with many more names, Tournaire, Fonua, Gaynor come to mind.
Tournaire is a great shout, came as one of the worlds top tight heads, looked like he played for Oadby Wyggs 2nds while he was here
Oi! I played for Oadby Wyggs 2nds on my past and will not hear a bad word said against them!
Semper in excretia
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

interesting to see TJ named as Exeters worst signing, he was never going to make it as a pro, he was a brilliant runner, but that's all, great to see his 4 tries again and see my grandson giving him 2 of those passes, pity they did't show all of the match and my grandsons final try.