'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 858
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by kk20gb30 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:33 am

Bound to divide opinion , but well worth a look for the sake of curiosity :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/each-premiership ... een-named/

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by Mark62 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:26 am

Interesting you wouldn’t disagree with a lot of them.
Forgot Nemani had been at Exeter, his career has kicked on since then.
No way Barrow was a marquee player, I would counter him with Haskell as Saints worse signing.
Tigers Pietersen, I can remember him having a least one decent game, I would counter him with JDV

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5597
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Neverland

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by JP14 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:36 am

Bit unfair on Sean O’Brien, he would have made more than one appearance if it wasn’t for a certain pandemic.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by Cardiff Tig » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:47 am

JPP had a better strike rate then most of out current wingers...

His positional play was also excellent - he made it a lot easier for players like Veianu to get the ball in space. No idea what he was paid though and definitely wasn't worth huge amounts if that's true.

Have to agree, JDV has to be a worse signing than JPP!

BG01
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:19 pm
Location: Leicester

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by BG01 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:00 am

Yes this is massive revisionism on JPP. I'd encourage anyone to go back and watch those games - he was very good.

In fact I ran some player ratings among fans at the time and he was consistently in our top 3 players.

I think fair to have a discussion on whether he fitted our game plan and whether he made the impact on the wing that eg Alex Tuilagi did. But he was good and if we were a better team we would have got more out of him.

I'm not saying he was our best ever signing but we've certainly paid a lot more for a lot less.
Never believe generalisations

mol2
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3376
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 5:48 pm
Location: Cosby

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by mol2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 am

I was surprised that Dom Barrow was signed by Saints (from us) as a marquee player.

johnthegriff
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:37 am

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by johnthegriff » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 am

Have to remember in order to sign Pietersen we released Goneva, Pietersen was certainly a class player but lazy. JDV was if I remember correctly an injury dispensation signing and only had a 3 month contract. If we gave some though to selecting our worst ever signings I am sure we could come up with many more names, Tournaire, Fonua, Gaynor come to mind.

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by kpj tiger » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:31 am

JPP wasn't a bad player he just didn't justify the cost, JDV was only ever short term and when he did play (twice I think) he actually looked really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ6xgNh1Fzs

ads
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 574
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:01 pm
Location: Born Leic, Live Leeds

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by ads » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:36 am

Gareth Raynor. Came to Tigers a Rugby league try scoring machine. Left shortly after.....

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2274
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:57 pm
Location: Stoney Stanton

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by kpj tiger » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:47 am

Jérôme Schuster was one of our worst signings in recent times, arrived as a French international prop and I'm pretty sure he only played once and got battered by Worcester in scrums

Mark62
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4168
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:16 pm

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by Mark62 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am

johnthegriff wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 am
Have to remember in order to sign Pietersen we released Goneva, Pietersen was certainly a class player but lazy. JDV was if I remember correctly an injury dispensation signing and only had a 3 month contract. If we gave some though to selecting our worst ever signings I am sure we could come up with many more names, Tournaire, Fonua, Gaynor come to mind.
Tournaire is a great shout, came as one of the worlds top tight heads, looked like he played for Oadby Wyggs 2nds while he was here

Tiglon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1953
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by Tiglon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:09 am

The usual tabloid style clickbait...

Here's hoping in a couple of years Nadolo is on an equally pointless list of best Premiership signings.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3942
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by sam16111986 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:24 am

kpj tiger wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:47 am
Jérôme Schuster was one of our worst signings in recent times, arrived as a French international prop and I'm pretty sure he only played once and got battered by Worcester in scrums
Seem to remember Sarries battering Schuster in the scrum as well. A prop that couldn't prop. So much for the international that could play both sides we thought we were getting.

Robespierre
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:36 am
Location: Haute-Garonne

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by Robespierre » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:49 am

Mark62 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:53 am
johnthegriff wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:27 am
Have to remember in order to sign Pietersen we released Goneva, Pietersen was certainly a class player but lazy. JDV was if I remember correctly an injury dispensation signing and only had a 3 month contract. If we gave some though to selecting our worst ever signings I am sure we could come up with many more names, Tournaire, Fonua, Gaynor come to mind.
Tournaire is a great shout, came as one of the worlds top tight heads, looked like he played for Oadby Wyggs 2nds while he was here
Oi! I played for Oadby Wyggs 2nds on my past and will not hear a bad word said against them!
Semper in excreta

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2685
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: 'The Ruck' lists The Premierships worst signings....

Post by LE18 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:33 pm

interesting to see TJ named as Exeters worst signing, he was never going to make it as a pro, he was a brilliant runner, but that's all, great to see his 4 tries again and see my grandson giving him 2 of those passes, pity they did't show all of the match and my grandsons final try.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cardiff Tig, Google [Bot] and 2 guests