Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship clubs to break away?

Post by kk20gb30 »

Draft proposals , including a plan for TV revenue :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/english- ... mpionship/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:15 am Draft proposals , including a plan for TV revenue :

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/english- ... mpionship/
Interesting proposal. Seems a good idea on the surface of it.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Only 10 players over the age of 24...

Thats a lot of current players that are losing a large chunk of their income in 12 months then.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

The destruction of our Academy system, six regional centres spread throughout the country, all the brain child of the cheat in chief Ed Griffiths who I stress is no relation of mine. This scheme would be a disaster for the clubs, rugby and most of all for many young people. The only good thing about it is a proposed T.V deal for Championship clubs, if the RFU go for this scheme Premiership rugby needs to break away from the RFU.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:45 am The destruction of our Academy system, six regional centres spread throughout the country, all the brain child of the cheat in chief Ed Griffiths who I stress is no relation of mine. This scheme would be a disaster for the clubs, rugby and most of all for many young people. The only good thing about it is a proposed T.V deal for Championship clubs, if the RFU go for this scheme Premiership rugby needs to break away from the RFU.
And yet you say you are against Ring fencing.
If the premiership breaks away from the RFU is that what is happening?
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Excuse my ignorance.... My questions are:-
Which season is ring fencing being implemented?
Which clubs are ring fenced into Prem?
Does this mean Sorries have got out of jail free card?
What will happen to the Sorries internationals who have just signed contracts if they are ring fenced into Championship?
Where is the incentive to play yourselves out of the bottom of Prem table, or Compete at the top of the Championship?

I detest the idea ring fencing. Surely their is a" third way" to protect clubs promoted to Prem in order they can survive for at least a season or two.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:40 am Excuse my ignorance.... My questions are:-
What will happen to the Sorries internationals who have just signed contracts if they are ring fenced into Championship?
Where is the incentive to play yourselves out of the bottom of Prem table, or Compete at the top of the Championship?

I detest the idea ring fencing. Surely their is a" third way" to protect clubs promoted to Prem in order they can survive for at least a season or two.
Season 21/22
It is proposed that it will be a 13 team premiership, as there are 13 teams in the premiership management group, so that’s the 12 currently in the premiership for the season to be finished pls Newcastle
Not really they are going to have a season in the championship and have lost a lot of sponsorship. The issue might arise if the don’t win the championship season 20/21.
They won’t be unless they don’t win the championship.
Depends on whether you’ve got pride in playing for your shirt. Premiership there will still be 2 European competitions and gives clubs a chance to get their houses back in order, these are seen as temporary measures.
Championship simply survival without a radical overhaul some clubs just won’t survive, with or without pandemic

I don’t think anybody really wants ring fencing, but the system is broken and it needs fixing.
I just wish someone would hurry up and conjure up this mythical 3rd way, and find all this money that is required that simply isn’t in the system
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:55 am
wellstiger wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:40 am Excuse my ignorance.... My questions are:-

Season 21/22
It is proposed that it will be a 13 team premiership, as there are 13 teams in the premiership management group, so that’s the 12 currently in the premiership for the season to be finished pls Newcastle
Not really they are going to have a season in the championship and have lost a lot of sponsorship. The issue might arise if the don’t win the championship season 20/21.
Depends on whether you’ve got pride in playing for your shirt. Premiership there will still be 2 European competitions and gives clubs a chance to get their houses back in order, these are seen as temporary measures.
Championship simply survival without a radical overhaul some clubs just won’t survive, with or without pandemic

I don’t think anybody really wants ring fencing, but the system is broken and it needs fixing.
I just wish someone would hurry up and conjure up this mythical 3rd way, and find all this money that is required that simply isn’t in the system
How about that well known system of outgoings not being more than incomings.
It's an amazing system that actually works.
So much better than being some rich blokes play thing.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Season 21/22

I totally agree with you hence the reduction in salary cap etc, unfortunately we are a little too far down the line imho
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:15 pm
Season 21/22

I totally agree with you hence the reduction in salary cap etc, unfortunately we are a little too far down the line imho
When you're driving in the wrong direction it's a good idea to turn back and go the right way!
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:21 pm

When you're driving in the wrong direction it's a good idea to turn back and go the right way!
But you’ve got to slow the car down first in order to make that turn, otherwise you’re likely to crash
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 pm

But you’ve got to slow the car down first in order to make that turn, otherwise you’re likely to crash
Some folk do struggle with reversing. :smt100
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

BFG wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:19 pm
Mark62 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 pm

Some folk do struggle with reversing. :smt100
I like your analogy but these things can not happen overnight, everything in place for a years time seems to be acceptable
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:45 am The destruction of our Academy system, six regional centres spread throughout the country, all the brain child of the cheat in chief Ed Griffiths who I stress is no relation of mine. This scheme would be a disaster for the clubs, rugby and most of all for many young people. The only good thing about it is a proposed T.V deal for Championship clubs, if the RFU go for this scheme Premiership rugby needs to break away from the RFU.
Amazing Mr Griffiths is allowed anywhere near the English game. The week before the salary cap investigation in 2015 (?) he disappeared to SA (clutching a briefcase) having been that paragon of virtue, Nigel Wray's point man. An unfortunate coincidence for Mr Griffiths that his tenure as CEO coincided with Saracens corrupting the premiership competition. He returns last year to 'see Saracens through the post points deduction / fine' but had so little credibility with other club owners he barely lasted 48 hours. Now he is back.

My father always told me that people would make judgements about me by the company I kept.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:43 pm
Amazing Mr Griffiths is allowed anywhere near the English game. The week before the salary cap investigation in 2015 (?) he disappeared to SA (clutching a briefcase) having been that paragon of virtue, Nigel Wray's point man. An unfortunate coincidence for Mr Griffiths that his tenure as CEO coincided with Saracens corrupting the premiership competition. He returns last year to 'see Saracens through the post points deduction / fine' but had so little credibility with other club owners he barely lasted 48 hours. Now he is back.

My father always told me that people would make judgements about me by the company I kept.
I do agree about Griffiths but who appointed him, the RFU or The Championship clubs.
If it was the clubs maybe he’s given them exactly what they wanted.