Racist supporter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Racist supporter

Post by jgriffin »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 am Can I just ask the question that if this same person had made the same comment about Mamukashvili would this debate be taking place.
Because I’m willing to state here and now that we wouldn’t.

Marcus Ayerza played for the club for many seasons without people pronouncing his name properly.
Nobody mentioned colour, did they?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:12 am This is not the good news that we want given the efforts of the new Management teams.
It looks as if the "Direct line" to the Daily Mail was not stopped with the leavers! :smt013
ttps://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/ar ... -post.html
Them picking up a story that's in the public domain as Nadolo posted this publicly on Twitter is very different to them posting info on private contract negotiations.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Someone said something silly and inappropriate, they were called out, they apologised.

Let's not overreact - the fan in question should be educated not banned for life.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am What is this Casual Racism, that has suddenly appeared, God Help Us All.
God help us all of you think it's 'suddenly appeared'.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

What is this Casual Racism, that has suddenly appeared, God Help Us All.
You seem to part of the problem. I would suggest trying to learn rather than defending. This hasn't suddenly appeared its just being brought to the fore more often. People need to start to understand what is and isn't acceptable in todays society.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

ads wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:41 am
You seem to part of the problem. I would suggest trying to learn rather than defending. This hasn't suddenly appeared its just being brought to the fore more often. People need to start to understand what is and isn't acceptable in todays society.
I don't want to go further on this, but I was horrified when two non-white residents of my largely monoracial area gave accounts of the verbal insults they had endured while going about their daily business; there were even comments in our local online newspaper ("I'm glad this is a white town"). It's there, casual and racist.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

ads wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:41 am
I take offence at that comment. As a 58 year old it is not something I have been aware of before.
What I am aware of is liberal do gooders making something out of nothingness
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:38 am
Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 am What is this Casual Racism, that has suddenly appeared, God Help Us All.
God help us all of you think it's 'suddenly appeared'.
It’s an honest comment it is not something I have been aware of before.
Now Positive Racism that is something I’m aware of
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:32 am Someone said something silly and inappropriate, they were called out, they apologised.

Let's not overreact - the fan in question should be educated not banned for life.
Thank you for a sense of perspective
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:32 am Someone said something silly and inappropriate, they were called out, they apologised.

Agreed. It is a good example of 'casual racism'. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended to be. Behaviours don't change unless there is a catalyst for change and so it might serve some wider good by recognising it for what it is.

Names are about - identity - and identity is - well it's who we are! If we want to respect to someone we should learn to pronounce their name. It might be difficult, it might take a bit of effort, but its our responsibility to do so.

So good for calling it out. That's helpful. Genuine Apology. That's helpful. Let's learn and move on.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Flash wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:16 am
Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:05 am Can I just ask the question that if this same person had made the same comment about Mamukashvili would this debate be taking place.

Marcus Ayerza played for the club for many seasons without people pronouncing his name properly.
Depends if the new star signing picked it up and correctly called out the casual racism. Just because thing have been acceptable/tolerated in the past doesn't mean it should still be acceptable.

I don't think the fan is necessarily racist but it does highlight the systemic, ingrained racism that is present in society and it needs people like Nadolo to highlight this to create the change needed.
So that to my mind is positive racism, one rule for one, one rule for all, shouldn’t matter if it was picked up by the star or not.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Traveller wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:59 am

Agreed. It is a good example of 'casual racism'. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was intended to be. Behaviours don't change unless there is a catalyst for change and so it might serve some wider good by recognising it for what it is.

Names are about - identity - and identity is - well it's who we are! If we want to respect to someone we should learn to pronounce their name. It might be difficult, it might take a bit of effort, but its our responsibility to do so.

So good for calling it out. That's helpful. Genuine Apology. That's helpful. Let's learn and move on.
At last some common sense, taking it for exactly what it was.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I take offence at that comment. As a 58 year old it is not something I have been aware of before.
You need to get out more.
What I am aware of is liberal do gooders making something out of nothingness
Wow.

Edit: I don't want to get into a tit for tat argument over this. I doubt the Twitter poster or mark62 is intentionally racist, but its this sort of thing that just fuels the fire. terms like 'liberal do gooders' just alienate people who are trying to teach. I'm a white 44 year old civil engineer who has not lived a sheltered life, having been born and brought up in several council estates in Leicester before moving up north. I know quite a few black, asian and gay people and have witnessed casual racism and homophobia and unfortunately also some more extreme examples as well.
If you are not willing to even accept it exists, you are the problem. Slight changes to peoples mindsets help a lot, but those people have to be willing to learn and understand.
Last edited by ads on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

Key lesson is to know your audience. Trying to be slightly amusing but at the same time plainly ignorant on social media means you attract all comers to interpret to their own interpretations and agendas. Racism should always be called out, ignorance should also be called out but not necessarily labelled racist, there is a difference.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Mark62 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 am
Flash wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:16 am

Depends if the new star signing picked it up and correctly called out the casual racism. Just because thing have been acceptable/tolerated in the past doesn't mean it should still be acceptable.

I don't think the fan is necessarily racist but it does highlight the systemic, ingrained racism that is present in society and it needs people like Nadolo to highlight this to create the change needed.
So that to my mind is positive racism, one rule for one, one rule for all, shouldn’t matter if it was picked up by the star or not.
I think you missed my point or I didn't make it well enough. The issue would still be same if it was referenced to Mamukashvili but in the instance it happened a star player with a platform where people take notice raised it as an issue. It needs more people to raise the issues to allow people to learn to improve society for all.