Mike Slemen

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Mike Slemen

Post by Mark62 »

Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but just read that he has passed away at the age of 69.

Never the quickest of wingers but made up for with positional sense and good footballing brain.

Not sure he ever played for England again after Barry Evans burnt him for pace twice in the Ba Bas game in the early 80s.

RIP
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Mike Slemen

Post by kk20gb30 »

Remember him also from BBC TV's 'Superstars' series.
RIP.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

Sad news indeed. A very good player and elusive runner, good enough at the time to be England's highest capped wing and a British Lions tourist.
Despite his lack of bulk by today's standards (under 12 stone!) he was a great foil for the likes of John Carleton on the other wing.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Mark62 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:10 pm Apologies if this is posted elsewhere, but just read that he has passed away at the age of 69.

Never the quickest of wingers but made up for with positional sense and good footballing brain.

Not sure he ever played for England again after Barry Evans burnt him for pace twice in the Ba Bas game in the early 80s.

RIP
Barry Evans burned International Wingers every Ba Bas game tbh.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

I seem to remember an England wing running the line one Baa Baas game was that Mike Slemen or was it Simon Halliday?

I was pretty young at the time so my memory is hazy.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

dunc wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 am I seem to remember an England wing running the line one Baa Baas game was that Mike Slemen or was it Simon Halliday?

I was pretty young at the time so my memory is hazy.
I think Halliday became a Baa Baas official
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Cracking ‘tache from what I remember. Him playing for England is one of my earliest rugby memories. That and JPR Williams covered in blood every week (seemingly).
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:30 pm Cracking ‘tache from what I remember. Him playing for England is one of my earliest rugby memories. That and JPR Williams covered in blood every week (seemingly).
Spot on. You wouldn't say he even looks like a rugby player by modern standards but in his day......

Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

Longshanks wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:33 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:30 pm Cracking ‘tache from what I remember. Him playing for England is one of my earliest rugby memories. That and JPR Williams covered in blood every week (seemingly).
Spot on. You wouldn't say he even looks like a rugby player by modern standards but in his day......

That’s where Lord Lucan got to.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Bless him, he was a great player who ran like an express train. Very talented.

RIP Mike.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

What a great shame as Mike was a real gentleman, I recall the first time I met him was at Twickenham and as I organised the club's international tickets I always had a West Enclosure, south entrance and armed with the traditional Party Sevens (from the nearby corner shop) under our arms we proceeded to the front row by players tunnel. (Yes you could take beer in then)
Now after half time the military band depart from their ringside seats and with the help of the Party Sevens now empty we would climb over the fence and occupy these vacant seats. I must have been close to the players tunnel as Mike Slemen was flattened and hobbled off injured and then sat next to me for the remainder of the game. He was so disappointed to leave the field and the BBC caught us having a discussion, I really took from stick from my workmates on Monday & the Boss said "I see you got to Twickenham then!"
I am not sure of which match this was ~ but this was not due to the Watney's Party 7's.

Mike was a great player and a clubman, so RIP Mike and thanks. :smt023