Tom Youngs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fleabane
Super User
Super User

Tom Youngs

Post by fleabane »

Lots of speculation around the position of hooker as a result of signings (or no signings), and around his position as captain.

With a maelstrom surrounding the club, he has been magisterial in the way he has handled himself, while some others have shown their lack of backbone and personal aggrandisement.

More like him please.
Valhalla I am coming!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tom Youngs

Post by chewbacca »

Never any doubt where Tom's loyalty lies. Tigers to the core. Always gives everything. Epitome of the spirit of our club.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

He IS a club legend, him and his brother!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

fleabane wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:57 pm Lots of speculation around the position of hooker as a result of signings (or no signings), and around his position as captain.

With a maelstrom surrounding the club, he has been magisterial in the way he has handled himself, while some others have shown their lack of backbone and personal aggrandisement.

More like him please.
The whole family are Tigers legends, as suggested on another thread, I was only pointing out a possible course of action should Montoya arrive earlier than expected.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

I’ve always been a huge fan of both Youngs’ as like their dad they always give their all for Tigers.
It hasn’t been fair of some posters on here to blame Tom for some of our lineout woes because once Ayerza had to retire Tigers lost a World Class lifter as well as great scrummager.
I’m optimistic that Tom will be reinvigorated now that Borthwick is here.
Whatever happens Tom Youngs and Ben are true Tigers’ legends.
All the best to all of the wonderful Youngs family.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I can't remember seeing anyone look like they care more about Tigers than Tom Youngs. At his best, World class hooker, but always a true Tiger.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 pm I can't remember seeing anyone look like they care more about Tigers than Tom Youngs. At his best, World class hooker, but always a true Tiger.
Tom made the telephone call to my totally isolated season ticketed neighbour on his 75th birthday and they spoke for about 20 minutes and Brian still talks about Tom's hopes for Tigers, his concern for supporters and his genuine dedication to the Club.
Please do not try to pension him off, keep him as Club Captain and let him decide when the bruises of the last weekend are still there this Saturday are too much, ~ we have all been through that. Well the forwards have! I cannot speak for "The girls!" :smt002
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

wormus wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:32 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:14 pm I can't remember seeing anyone look like they care more about Tigers than Tom Youngs. At his best, World class hooker, but always a true Tiger.
Tom made the telephone call to my totally isolated season ticketed neighbour on his 75th birthday and they spoke for about 20 minutes and Brian still talks about Tom's hopes for Tigers, his concern for supporters and his genuine dedication to the Club.
Please do not try to pension him off, keep him as Club Captain and let him decide when the bruises of the last weekend are still there this Saturday are too much, ~ we have all been through that. Well the forwards have! I cannot speak for "The girls!" :smt002
Not wanting to pension him off, just making suggestions as to what may happen if, and it’s a big if, Montoya comes earlier than anticipated, and even then I doubt he would stop playing completely, given that he is expected to hang up his boots at the end of the 20/21 season.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Could never question his passion and loyalty to The Club. Rarity these days.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

My bet is that Kerr will move on when Montoya arrives

Youngs will remain until he wants to retire.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

TheTigerKing wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:43 am My bet is that Kerr will move on when Montoya arrives

Youngs will remain until he wants to retire.
If that was allowed to happen I think it would be a huge mistake by the club, and as others have said it’s Tigers first with Tom and I don’t think he would allow that to happen
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

The club have to factor the up-and-coming Archie Vanes in all this too, not a player that will grab the headlines like Wasps’ Alfie Barbery but a player I’m very looking forward to developing at Tigers.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Let us not forget either how Tom carried on training and playing all through his wife's health battles only a few years ago. What he and they as a family were going through would have broken many blokes. The man has my utmost respect not only for how he conducts himself as a Tiger but also as a husband and dad.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Regardless of his inconsistent form which was understandable under the circumstances, there is no doubt that if all of the Tigers squad had the same mentality as Tom and put in the same effort we would not have been in danger of relegation in the last two years :smt003
A2O
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

WirralExile wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:20 am Let us not forget either how Tom carried on training and playing all through his wife's health battles only a few years ago. What he and they as a family were going through would have broken many blokes. The man has my utmost respect not only for how he conducts himself as a Tiger but also as a husband and dad.
Absolutely right, not to mention a true professional with the determination, work rate and skill to reinvent himself from Centre to Hooker - one of the demanding transitions imaginable at any level, let alone going on to become a British & Irish Lion. Discarded by England too soon; I trust Tigers will not make the same mistake.