Post by JP14 »

It's the Fijian pronunciation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: The Nadolos

Post by Coops »

I recall him putting something out on Twitter to this effect - i believe it's NAD-OLO.

There's no N in his surname.

I'll try and find the tweet.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

I thought it was "Nandolo"....that would fit as the media are calling Radrada "Randranda".
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

westwinds31 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:15 am I thought it was "Nandolo"....that would fit as the media are calling Radrada "Randranda".
Given the stick that woman got for her tweet about Murimurivalu it's really something commentators should be getting picked up on...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Generally in Fijian pronunciation there is a silent n. One of their major cities nadi is pronounced Nandi. Its can also be the same for other pacific island nations, hence Tuilagi being pronounced Tuilangi.

Obvs if Nadolo says other wise for his name though, his word is final!
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

From the man himself - 19 October 2015:
hey guys for anyone wanting to no how my last name is spelt n pronounced. its NAdolo not NANdoloFace with look of triumph.. #nothard vinaka.
But then Ben Kay tweeted this the other week:
I believe pronounced Randrandra, Fijian d pronounced nd q pronounced ng - akapusi qera pronounced Ngera and b pronounced mb - Rabeni was said Rambeni though there might be some exceptions
@nemani_nadolo ?
Which Nemani hi-fived.

Now I am confused?!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

I think its as simple as being raised in Australia he prefers an Australian pronunciation over the traditional Fijian one.

You often get similar with German or Afrikaans names in English/American. Quite a lot of second generation people will pronounce "Kruger" as "Crew-Ger", whereas I think an Afrikaans (or Dutch or German I'd guess too) would pronounce it "Krii-er".

Something along those lines anyway.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I was always optimistic at this signing, based on his strike rate, yet I’m not one for thinking that a highlight reel tells the whole story (Fonua?).
However, I have been immensely impressed by this chap. The effort and commitment that we have seen so far are even more impressive than the stature and stats that he has on his CV.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man