Geordan Murphy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Geordan Murphy

Post by Traveller »

I need to put it on record. When Geordan Murphy was appointed Head Coach, I thought it was a ludicrous decision. He was so underprepared for the role and I thought that he demonstrated that lack pf preparedness almost on a daily basis and certainly in the lack of preparedness of the team for match days. However, if he is going to be the lightning rod for criticism, he also deserves the plaudits as well.

The transformation in terms of coaching set up, playing squad is a major achievement. Even the new kit is exciting and forward looking. Rome wasn’t built and I need to be patient, but for the first time in six or seven years I am excited about the future of my club. I don’t care if we don’t win anything next year, just so long as we put a tough as teak Tigers team on the field again, a team that other teams don’t actually want to play against. 'Club First', congratulations and good luck to Mr. Murphy.

Now its up to the supporters to make Welford Road a sporting nightmare to come to if you’re an away team.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordan Murphy

Post by jgriffin »

Fair comment :smt023
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Agree, fair point. For years we appear to have been making knee-jerk reactions, panic appointments, desperate recruitment etc. Things seem so very different now, the club has stood firm in contract negotiations, the coaching set up looks coordinated and promising, the recruitment looks well thought out (to the extent that it appears that we had already done much of the spade work in finding replacements when the 5 players did not sign) and the new kit is different but interesting. For once we are not going to lose most of our back line for England matches (despite the quality of the players when they are here, no team can stand to lose as many backs as we were losing during international windows) and we effectively have the remainder of the current season to bed in the new recruits ready for next year.

For the first time in ages, I am excited I cannot wait for the first match of the re-start.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Ditto
Credit to GM and his support team.
I am overly excited. I hope to see a marked improvement Game 1. Likewise I don't expect to see miracles but a marked improvement would be a welcome boost.
Energy would be the easiest fix.- game plan and and tactical prowess I am interested to see the development process. :smt023
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Mmmmm... not sure he had too much to do with the kit design...

Actually, I am not actually too sure how much he was involved in putting together the new coaching set up. I mean that genuinely not necessarily being disparaging of Murphy. I am sure he was involved in some shape or form but I can't say if it was 90% him or 10% him.

I share in the general optimism though.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I'm happy with the recruitment,players and coaching wise. I'm sure Murphy was instrumental in keeping some of our top players too BUT weve had a good team on paper before and I am still worried about him having too much input on the starting XV and 23 so for now I will hold back on going too giddy until I've seen how we are setup upon the return.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm I'm happy with the recruitment,players and coaching wise. I'm sure Murphy was instrumental in keeping some of our top players too BUT weve had a good team on paper before and I am still worried about him having too much input on the starting XV and 23 so for now I will hold back on going too giddy until I've seen how we are setup upon the return.
On the 0-10 Traveller Overall Giddiness Scale (TOGS for short but not for long) where are you after todays announcements. 0 being not giddy at all to 10 being as giddy as a giddy person can possibly be - where are you right now. It will be interesting to track your ups and downs during the season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Id say a solid 7.5 haha
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:03 pm ....On the 0-10 Traveller Overall Giddiness Scale (TOGS for short but not for long) where are you after todays announcements. 0 being not giddy at all to 10 being as giddy as a giddy person can possibly be - where are you right now. It will be interesting to track your ups and downs during the season.
I guess we will see soon enough whether Scotty is a bellwether or a bellend, notwithstanding that a real bellwether doesn’t have much productive use for a bellend.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

100%

It feels the groundworks are now right. Committed players, new coaching staff and a mix of versatile, hungry players who seem to fit a gameplan rather than a random collection of names and talents.

We have made tough decisions but ones that should pay dividends.

I expect nothing but consolidation over the next 12 months or so. We just need to see a team finding it's identity and playing hard. If the youngsters can develop and we can find another couple of impact players then we could be seriously scary in a couple of years time.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:47 pm I'm happy with the recruitment,players and coaching wise. I'm sure Murphy was instrumental in keeping some of our top players too BUT weve had a good team on paper before and I am still worried about him having too much input on the starting XV and 23 so for now I will hold back on going too giddy until I've seen how we are setup upon the return.
On the 0-10 Traveller Overall Giddiness Scale (TOGS for short but not for long) where are you after todays announcements. 0 being not giddy at all to 10 being as giddy as a giddy person can possibly be - where are you right now. It will be interesting to track your ups and downs during the season.
I guess 8/10.
I read into the Pat Howard interview that some established players might go and that the whole structure needed a broom taking to it. I believe that has happened, and the door shutting on Manu ("the same for everyone" as GM said) was a significant moment in signifying goodbye to past sentiment. I also think May will regret his move BTW, but we may now regret it far less.
As a measure of confidence I have been thinking about a new ST even though I won't use the full complement (no cinder bank to stand on with me dogs) - I want to see this team in its pomp - I think it might well be quite something.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I reckon I’m around an 8 on the TOGS

God bless Sir Terry and Janet and John
Ashurstwoodtiger

Post by Ashurstwoodtiger »

As stated before I believe some time ago in the distant past Cockers said he believed Mr Murphy would make a good DOR. Now let's see if he was right
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I was pleased when they announced the appointment of Geordan Murphy as Head Coach, previous appointments from the ranks like Deano, Pat Howard and Cocker had been successful so why not Murphy? I do think he inherited a team in disarray and probably just not good enough disrupted by injuries and the Toomua situation, changes to the squad were necessary, several players departed and we were strengthened by the recruitment of Lavanini, Taufua, Liebenberg and others as squad players. The absence of so many players at the start of the season due to the World Cup meant our pre-season preparation was relatively meaningless. I do believe that had the current season continued uninterrupted by the pandemic we would have finished 7th or 8th which is not good enough for Leicester Tigers but would have shown we were possibly on the way back.
Geordan is now Director of Rugby, he has a new Head Coach and coaching team to work with, there have been major changes to the squad which in my opinion looks better balanced with a narrowing of the gap between first and second choice players and several young prospects have been signed for development, they probably wont all make the grade but who knows there might be a couple of gems to unearth.
I am more excited by our prospects for next season than i have been for some time, I just hope that we can soon get to see some rugby with fans in attendance and beer served properly a full pint with a head. Sorry optimism is getting the better of me, I will settle for winning rugby.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

TomWeston wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:30 pm
Traveller wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:03 pm ....On the 0-10 Traveller Overall Giddiness Scale (TOGS for short but not for long) where are you after todays announcements. 0 being not giddy at all to 10 being as giddy as a giddy person can possibly be - where are you right now. It will be interesting to track your ups and downs during the season.
I guess we will see soon enough whether Scotty is a bellwether or a bellend, notwithstanding that a real bellwether doesn’t have much productive use for a bellend.
You’re talking about a very sensitive area here!