Geordan Murphy

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordan Murphy

Post by Tiglon »

Cautiously optimistic sums up my feelings.

Murphy looks likely to be a much better DoR than HC. Borthwick has bags of potential as HC. The rest of the coaching team appears stronger than before. On the other hand, Murphy and Borthwick are both unproven in their roles, so it isn't guaranteed to be a winning formula.

The new backs are very talented, but so were the previous backs. At least now more of them are probably going to be available more of the time.

The pack isn't much changed from last season, but at least we will have the likes of Cole and Taufua from the start and for the whole season (fitness allowing). Maybe a big 8 is still needed, but Brink/Liebenberg/Taufua all have the attributes to fill that role.

A lot of the new players are around the 30 mark, but that's ok because the academy is now in much much better shape and we have some top prospects on the edge of the first team. I think what we've very consciously done is signed some experienced players at a certain point in their career who can get us to a better place, build a (more) successful team while Steward et al continue their development without the pressure of being default first choice. I'm sure McGinity also has a plan and is working on younger players to bring in over the next few years.

While we feel that things look better, the elephant in the room is that many other clubs are going in the same direction too - and from a better starting point. Saints have a top coaching team now and play brilliant rugby, Sale have put together a very strong team with few international absentees, Bristol have strengthened further, Exeter are going nowhere and Sarries will be back before you blink. We're going in the right direction and I am optimistic, but let's not be fooled into thinking it's going to be an easy road back into the top four.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:49 pm Cautiously optimistic sums up my feelings.

Murphy looks likely to be a much better DoR than HC. Borthwick has bags of potential as HC. The rest of the coaching team appears stronger than before. On the other hand, Murphy and Borthwick are both unproven in their roles, so it isn't guaranteed to be a winning formula.

The new backs are very talented, but so were the previous backs. At least now more of them are probably going to be available more of the time.

The pack isn't much changed from last season, but at least we will have the likes of Cole and Taufua from the start and for the whole season (fitness allowing). Maybe a big 8 is still needed, but Brink/Liebenberg/Taufua all have the attributes to fill that role.

A lot of the new players are around the 30 mark, but that's ok because the academy is now in much much better shape and we have some top prospects on the edge of the first team. I think what we've very consciously done is signed some experienced players at a certain point in their career who can get us to a better place, build a (more) successful team while Steward et al continue their development without the pressure of being default first choice. I'm sure McGinity also has a plan and is working on younger players to bring in over the next few years.

While we feel that things look better, the elephant in the room is that many other clubs are going in the same direction too - and from a better starting point. Saints have a top coaching team now and play brilliant rugby, Sale have put together a very strong team with few international absentees, Bristol have strengthened further, Exeter are going nowhere and Sarries will be back before you blink. We're going in the right direction and I am optimistic, but let's not be fooled into thinking it's going to be an easy road back into the top four.
Fantastic post. Agree completely with all of this.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe that Murphy will make a better DoR than Head Coach.Also believe that no matter how it is dressed we have under - performed over the last two seasons.
Undoubtedly now ,' the feel ' surrounding The Club is better and more harmonious but the acid test is how we actually perform on the field.I must say I am optimistic, and believe we are going to see an evolution into a hard nosed, pragmatic side capable of competing with anyone out there.That should be just the starting point though , but with what and who we have both on and off the pitch I am confident that we are beginning to travel in the right direction.Looking forward to the re-start.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....