LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by kpj tiger »

Apparently R92 have confirmed Emiliano Boffelli won't be signing for them, I know we have Murimurivalu now so we probably aren't in the market for a 15 anymore but it will be interesting to see where he ends up
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by ABClub »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 pm Apparently R92 have confirmed Emiliano Boffelli won't be signing for them, I know we have Murimurivalu now so we probably aren't in the market for a 15 anymore but it will be interesting to see where he ends up
I thought similar when seeing that. Boffelli is a very good player and he covers fullback/wing/outside centre. Plus he's in an age range where he's experienced enough to jump straight into first XV rugby but young enough to stay at a club longer term. That is smack bang in the bracket that McGinity seems to be targetting.

Veainu ---> Murimurivalu
May ---> Nadolo
Thompstone ---> van Wyk
Holmes --->
Reid ---> Henry
Eastmond ---> Scott
Tuilagi ---> Moroni
Thomas ---> Porter
Viljeon ---> Potter

Perhaps room for a Holmes replacement. Moroni will cost a lot less than Manu of course. Murimurivalu probably cheaper than Veainu too. Henry likely on a smaller contract than Reid. Scott certainly deserves to be on a decent wedge though.

All in all I'm happy with the outside backs now and would prefer any room in the cap/budget to be aimed at the tight 5. That 6th senior prop is still needed and in a dream world a starting XV second row to partner Lavanini. Covid changing plans entirely has likely scuppered the latter one though. Alemanno certainly wasn't on Gloucester's radar until Mostert and Grobler left!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 pm Apparently R92 have confirmed Emiliano Boffelli won't be signing for them, I know we have Murimurivalu now so we probably aren't in the market for a 15 anymore but it will be interesting to see where he ends up
Jan I'm sure will have done homework on who's eligible for what passport etc, but I think new players now will likely be ones who aren't affecting overseas quotad etc not sure if Boffelli has any European or Commonwealth links but if not I can't see us going for him.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott sounds like he was a fairly cheap pick up judging by that Rugby pass article.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Boffelli would be amazing, 15 with electric pace and can slot the ball between the posts from the halfway line. Can also cover left wing and 13. Murimurivalu can play 14 too so could still work.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

yeh doubt it would happen nice to dream
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:33 pm Scott sounds like he was a fairly cheap pick up judging by that Rugby pass article.
I live up in Edinburgh now and attend a fair few home games. Chatting to a few Edinburgh fans usually in the know it was eventually a decent offer by sounds of things.

The rumour I've heard is that Tigers first offer when they first made contact with him was minimal. Scott having few options and first kid on the way still chatted to Geordie, heard the vision with Borthwick coming and was very keen to join but wouldn't sign for peanuts. Tigers then went away and came back with a significantly better offer which Scott leapt at.

From the Chinese whispers I've heard the second offer was less than Scott agreed with Edinburgh (i.e. the contract that got withdrawn to make room for a Simon Hickey replacement) but it was still a solid contract. The Rugby Pass article did say, "the money Tigers initially offered wasn't good at all". Semantics I accept but the "initially" in that seem to suggest similar to what I've heard up above the wall.

Either way, Tigers have got a cracking player on a good value deal. Scott is a big improvement in a positions that's dogged us for several years.
duffers
Tiger Cub

Post by duffers »

Interesting insight into the Van Wyk signing.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/sup ... ders-match
Van Wyk intended to continue with the Hurricanes who had tabled an offer amid the NZ Rugby contract freeze, but got a call from Leicester last week.

He turned down their initial overtures but when he awoke the next morning there was an improved offer, and after consulting family in South Africa he signed.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RIL tweeting:

South African press are reporting that the Cheetahs number 8 Jasper Wiese, the brother of Cobus (joining Sale), has signed for Leicester Tigers.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

These Wiese lads are big boys...
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Seems Connacht were keen on signing him, described him as a big ball carrying unit who would get you over the gain line.

https://www.the42.ie/connacht-rugby-3-5064891-Apr2020/ :smt026

However, may have some disciplinary issues?

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/cheetahs-w ... ban-again/ :smt017
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Didn’t McGinty say they were looking in South Africa for a big number 8?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

happywomble wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 pm And another....

https://twitter.com/andymcgeady/status/ ... 62?lang=en
I know we have a desire for some aggression but he does look like a bit of a loose cannon, I suppose Lavanini has managed to change his ways though so we should give this guy a chance if he has signed
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Seems Weise fits the profile, 24 yo, 6ft 3, 17.5 stone according to Wiki, join the S African contingent, would give us good options for rotation.