LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by TheTigerKing »

I'd be disappointed if we are moving Henry on to bring back Burns.

Henry looks to me to be a very, very capable player and just needs a bit more top level exposure to get that decision making to a level which will let his skill really shine. He's a triple threat at 10 as he's a good kicker, passer and can break a tackle.

Burns has never lived up to his promise and wouldn't be a clear step up (and likely a damn sight more expensive).
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:31 am
strawclearer wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:50 am Mail on Sunday suggesting we're talking to Freddie Burns; Jordan Taufua may leave for Lyon before season-end; and Marco van Staden being considered as a replacement.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... Burns.html
I think we have to take this with a healthy bit of salt. Certainly in recent times leaks from the club are a lot less. Before certain players left there was a good link where the Daily Mail had some information quickly and accurately.

Taufua is certainly considered someone that can earn more elsewhere so not really news, think the likes of Hardwick who can'tget a look in are higher up SB's clear out list. Burns coming back is probably a follow on from rumours about Henry being dissatisfied with Bonilla negotiations (which in itself seems to be a very thin rumour), whatever way I think information is a lot more sparse so there's a lot more 2+2=5 going on even where there are tidbits of information pulling them to complete stories.
Yes,and I pointed out exactly who that player was!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

If, as rumoured, SB is having a clear-out, I would have no problems in him releasing the following players as I can't see them featuring in our 1st 23 unless we have a catastrophic run of injuries or we are playing in a mickey mouse competition.
1 Hardwick - does not register in my top 3 in any position he wants to play in.
2 Olowofela - ditto
3 SAR - been unlucky with injuries but can't see him getting many chances to stake a claim
4 Enever - so far has simply not lived up to my expectation, has a lot to prove
Now on to the ones who I think will go but will be disappointed to some degree
5 Lewis - really like him but can't see him getting much game time to force his way into the back or 2nd row
6 Coghlan - ditto
7 Mcphillips - will go if Henry stays or we sign Burns otherwise I can see him staying as a 3rd/4th option
8 Kerr - deffo do not want to see him go but 6 hookers if you include Vanes is probably too many - international ambitions??
Now the ones I don't want to see go at all
9 Taufua - suspect he is gone, very sad to see him go
10 Henry - hope we fight to keep him and would certainly want him over Burns who is almost 31 and will cost a good deal more

These are only my thoughts and opinions and I realise others will have different opinions but in this day and age, we simply have to get value for money and I don't think we are for the 1st 4 and to some degree the 2nd 4 as well
Hehehehehehehehe
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would also let Bower go
A2O
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:01 am If, as rumoured, SB is having a clear-out, I would have no problems in him releasing the following players as I can't see them featuring in our 1st 23 unless we have a catastrophic run of injuries or we are playing in a mickey mouse competition.
1 Hardwick - does not register in my top 3 in any position he wants to play in.
2 Olowofela - ditto
3 SAR - been unlucky with injuries but can't see him getting many chances to stake a claim
4 Enever - so far has simply not lived up to my expectation, has a lot to prove
Now on to the ones who I think will go but will be disappointed to some degree
5 Lewis - really like him but can't see him getting much game time to force his way into the back or 2nd row
6 Coghlan - ditto
7 Mcphillips - will go if Henry stays or we sign Burns otherwise I can see him staying as a 3rd/4th option
8 Kerr - deffo do not want to see him go but 6 hookers if you include Vanes is probably too many - international ambitions??
Now the ones I don't want to see go at all
9 Taufua - suspect he is gone, very sad to see him go
10 Henry - hope we fight to keep him and would certainly want him over Burns who is almost 31 and will cost a good deal more

These are only my thoughts and opinions and I realise others will have different opinions but in this day and age, we simply have to get value for money and I don't think we are for the 1st 4 and to some degree the 2nd 4 as well

1. Hardwick is not even training - not sure what's gone on there.
2. Olowofela - he will still be in contract next season so would probably go on loan somewhere
3. SAR - still in contract next season
4. Enever - ???
5. Lewis - is out of contract and have heard he has now gone on loan to Coventry - was seen training with them last week - hopefully he will sign with another prem club - maybe a stint with Coventry next season and he could come back into the prem? Shame Tigers haven't developed him as they should have done - plays great attacking rugby.
6. Coghlan - out of contract - have heard he is leaving
7. McPhillips - out of contract
8. Kerr - still in contract for another 2 seasons - possibly again he will go on loan to another club
9. Taufua - as reported
10. Henry - seems strange to let him go - don't think Burns will come back - why would he after the way he was treated when Ford returned!

It seems that Borthwick is having a massive clear out - would seem that the back row will be made up of mostly South Africans (not a bad thing) I just feel that a lot of the decisions being made are more because of financial implications rather than how players are playing.

Dan Cole - resigning - good news but feel for Joe Heyes - to my mind he is the perfect replacement for Dan. Again though think it's a money thing.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Joe Heyes isn't ready to replace Cole yet, he probably will be in a couple of years but not yet. Cole is still one of the best in the Premiership. Have some patience.

I hope that Cole stays even if/when he is replaced by Heyes as 1st choice. Him signing a new contract doesn't harm Heyes in any way whatsoever.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:29 am 1. Hardwick is not even training - not sure what's gone on there.
2. Olowofela - he will still be in contract next season so would probably go on loan somewhere
3. SAR - still in contract next season
4. Enever - ???
5. Lewis - is out of contract and have heard he has now gone on loan to Coventry - was seen training with them last week - hopefully he will sign with another prem club - maybe a stint with Coventry next season and he could come back into the prem? Shame Tigers haven't developed him as they should have done - plays great attacking rugby.
6. Coghlan - out of contract - have heard he is leaving
7. McPhillips - out of contract
8. Kerr - still in contract for another 2 seasons - possibly again he will go on loan to another club
9. Taufua - as reported
10. Henry - seems strange to let him go - don't think Burns will come back - why would he after the way he was treated when Ford returned!

It seems that Borthwick is having a massive clear out - would seem that the back row will be made up of mostly South Africans (not a bad thing) I just feel that a lot of the decisions being made are more because of financial implications rather than how players are playing.

Dan Cole - resigning - good news but feel for Joe Heyes - to my mind he is the perfect replacement for Dan. Again though think it's a money thing.
When was the last time we had a season when players did go before end of the contract?
Like why would Kerr want to go on loan when he was a international player a couple season ago if he could get a contract elsewhere as number 1 or number 2 for example.

On Burns might depend on how much he doesn't like Tom as he would be the only person still around since he left.
Heyes will be around 24 when Cole goes that is far more preferable than 22.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Burns and Borthwick may have worked together at Bath?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:12 pm Burns and Borthwick may have worked together at Bath?
I think Borthwick left Bath about a decade before Burns went there.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 pm
mol2 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:12 pm Burns and Borthwick may have worked together at Bath?
Burns would have been in the Bath Academy for a year or 2 whilst Borthwick was still at Bath
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:11 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:41 pm
Burns would have been in the Bath Academy for a year or 2 whilst Borthwick was still at Bath
Good point, I forgot about that. He would have been in the academy while Borthwick was a player there.