LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Dangerous4 »

Nice to know he is finally "bagged". :smt023
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

Boris Stankovich joins the Russian squad as scrum coach for the upcoming RWC qualifiers
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Speaking of scrums does anyone think that Cole might stay on as a coach once he retires. Hopefully it’s not for a while yet but what’s everyone’s thoughts? Does anyone know or know of him?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly I can see Tom Harrison staying as scrum coach potentially.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Looking at Wasps out of contract list and Callum Sirker would be top of my must try to poach list.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:10 pm Looking at Wasps out of contract list and Callum Sirker would be top of my must try to poach list.
I was thinking one of the looseheads would be a good target. McIntye in particular but also Harris and Zhavania would be upgrades on Bower without costing too much. McIntyre is a cracking prop who would fit really well as a sixth senior squad prop alongside Cole, Genge, Leatigaga, Heyes and Gigena.

Sirker has serious pace in the Radwan/LZR category though so would be a good poach.

Does anyone know if Browning is fit at the moment? I believe he had an injury last season.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:10 pm Looking at Wasps out of contract list and Callum Sirker would be top of my must try to poach list.
You have to think there are reasons why Sirker has never had a look in at Wasps. An outstanding 7s player without the skill set to make it in 15s.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Dokie wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:48 pm
You have to think there are reasons why Sirker has never had a look in at Wasps. An outstanding 7s player without the skill set to make it in 15s.
Sirker has had really bad luck with injuries - his last from the prem 7s I believe. Would be a useful player to pick up, perhaps an olowofela and Williams replacement perhaps?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:00 pm
Sirker has had really bad luck with injuries - his last from the prem 7s I believe. Would be a useful player to pick up, perhaps an olowofela and Williams replacement perhaps?
Didn't he do his ACL on loan at Ampthill a couple of years ago as well? Tough to know how well a pacey player can come back from those type of knee injuries.

I noticed we had Heffernan on loan from Notts for the Sarries friendly he's got a good reputation in the Championship. A tighthead rather than a loosehead but with Cole getting on a bit and us still having Genge, Gigena and Leatigaga as options at loosehead it could be a cheap way to get up to six senior props and improve the overall scrummaging ability. We can always turn to young Whitcombe if we need someone to fill in at 4th choice loosehead, he looked fine off the bench in Europe.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I have seen him in XV's and he has the skillset.

On ACL I feel that at a young age it's not really shown to be the pacers career ending injury that it once was considered.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:58 am

I have seen him in XV's and he has the skillset.

On ACL I feel that at a young age it's not really shown to be the pacers career ending injury that it once was considered.
I’m not convinced. Wasps have Kibrigie, who I think is very good, and Watson and Bassett, who are good prem wings but no better. Yet, with the pace he possesses, even with others injured, Young and Blackett haven’t selected him. There must be reasons.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

Current wings in selection order seem to be:
Nadolo, Van Wyk, Potter, (Porter/centre), Simmons, Williams, Aspland-Robinson, Olowofela

While i would almost certainly pop Sirker in ahead of SAR & Olowofela, and can see why others would pop him ahead of Williams even though I wouldn't, that's not really much higher up the reckoning than he is at Wasps an the kind of squad churn that the better sides have avoided.

McIntyre would be a great signing, would see us hopefully have:
LH: Genge, Gigena, McIntyre, Whitcombe
TH: Cole, Heyes, Leatigaga, Rowntree

As a good set of props with experience but also space for youth. Zhavania would also be good on a similar basis. If we were to poach some Wasps players at all that is.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I would rather target a TH, I prefer Leatigaga at LH.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

With regard to Sirker, I think a lot depends on what SB thinks about our current crop and who he knows is leaving us. I was not convinced about SAR. Injuries have meant only 14 appearances in 3 years and no points scored when he has played so he would not be at the top of my must keep list. Unless I am mistaken Olowofela will also be gone at the end of the year so we may have room for another back-up winger who does not cost a lot. Interesting times are ahead as SB starts to bring in players he thinks will fit the way he wants to play
Hehehehehehehehe
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:47 pm Personally I would rather target a TH, I prefer Leatigaga at LH.
Agreed. Leatigaga doesn't seem as good at scrum time when covering tighthead. We need to consider the future as well, Cole has been excellent for years and played a lot of games. In many ways we've been spoilt by his longevity and reliability. That won't last forever and we'll need to rotate more next season and the season after as he goes past the 35 mark. Heyes has bags of potential but is still only 21. Cole, Sinckler and Stuart all made their England debuts at around 23 so there's a couple more years until we expect him to come into his own.

If we can acquire a de Bruin style signing from SA again or a Championship promising player like Heffernan for a relatively low amount of money we can sort out the tighthead position for a couple of years. Heffernan if he showed up well enough around the Sarries friendly would be a good age at 25 to bridge between Cole and Heyes.

LH - Genge, Gigena, Leatigaga, Whitcombe
TH - Cole, Heyes, Heffernan/A N Other, Dimen/Rowntree

Looks pretty solid. Only issue might be if Gigena settles into the Pumas squad on a regular basis but we could always go shopping in the Championship for cover if we don't think Whitcombe is ready to back up Leatigaga or keep Bower as an emergency option as I doubt his salary is much.