LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 pm Oh No, not another kicking scrum half! :smt022
But he kicks well :smt023
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by MCC1964 »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 pm
LE18 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:26 pm Oh No, not another kicking scrum half! :smt022
But we also need a team that chases well. It’s like blaming the hooker for line outs failing. There are several parts to the system. So it doesn’t matter how good the kicks are or aren’t if there ain’t anybody on the end of it.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:25 pm
Tiglon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 pm
But we also need a team that chases well. It’s like blaming the hooker for line outs failing. There are several parts to the system. So it doesn’t matter how good the kicks are or aren’t if there ain’t anybody on the end of it.
Our kick chase has improved significantly since lockdown. We were starting to almost use it effectively to progress up the pitch. A little more precision and it could work well. It was one of my great frustrations against Bristol, we used the kick chase game to time and time again secure position in their half. Once we got there we didn't know what to do with the possession and either kicked it away or conceded a penalty.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Looks as though Joaquín Díaz Bonilla will not be joining Los Pumas for the rugby championship, as he cannot get out of the UK.

Hopefully this means he is in the UK or at least en route, and will be able to play for us come the start of the new season in November!

https://twitter.com/argentina_2027/stat ... 74977?s=21
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:25 am Looks as though Joaquín Díaz Bonilla will not be joining Los Pumas for the rugby championship, as he cannot get out of the UK.

Hopefully this means he is in the UK or at least en route, and will be able to play for us come the start of the new season in November!

I do feel for him but that is a HUGE gain for the Tigers with Ford possibly with England for significant periods, Henry had a lot on his shoulders, no offence but McPhillips/Hardwick didn't fill me with huge confidence in terms of depth at fly half.

One more centre and prop and think there is depth and cover for most positions.

My only question would be who is back up during internationals to Steward, do Potter/Van Wyk/Williams have experience there? Or is Worth our back up there?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:25 am Looks as though Joaquín Díaz Bonilla will not be joining Los Pumas for the rugby championship, as he cannot get out of the UK.

I do feel for him but that is a HUGE gain for the Tigers with Ford possibly with England for significant periods, Henry had a lot on his shoulders, no offence but McPhillips/Hardwick didn't fill me with huge confidence in terms of depth at fly half.

My only question would be who is back up during internationals to Steward, do Potter/Van Wyk/Williams have experience there? Or is Worth our back up there?
Agreed, him being available will be massive. Still could do with another 11 and 13 in the backs to cover the international periods, especially now Moroni is out and Murimurivalu has been called up. Looking a bit thread bare without some reinforcements.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I would assume that Worth and possibly Simmons are the cover at 15, with the possibility of playing Henry there should we desperately need to (not that I’m advocating him move constantly between 10 and 15).

Then assume between Potter, van Wyk, Simmons, Aspland-Robinson (who I really hope stays injury free as he could be of the similar raw potential as Potter and Simmons) and Williams if he signs for the 2020/2021 season will be wing cover.

I agree that 13 and prop are areas we could require extra cover in should expected call ups and injuries keep players unavailable for the start of the season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Potter and Porter both signed as 11,13, 14,15 from what I gather.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:26 pm

I would assume that Worth and possibly Simmons are the cover at 15, with the possibility of playing Henry there should we desperately need to (not that I’m advocating him move constantly between 10 and 15).

Then assume between Potter, van Wyk, Simmons, Aspland-Robinson (who I really hope stays injury free as he could be of the similar raw potential as Potter and Simmons) and Williams if he signs for the 2020/2021 season will be wing cover.

I agree that 13 and prop are areas we could require extra cover in should expected call ups and injuries keep players unavailable for the start of the season.
Bonilla being available is a big boost. Could free up Steward to play the Nadolo role on the left wing so we can still use the kick chase there.

9. White
10. Bonilla
11. Steward
12. Scott
13. Taute
14. Van Wyk
15. Henry

With JVP, Worth and Potter/Porter on the bench. Wouldn't be bad but some of the team's we will be playing have some pretty good backlines with not as many call ups so it could be tough. Agree if there is a short term option available to cover 13 that would be ideal though not just a body would need to be someone to take the shirt on. Moroni will probably be rehabbing in Leicester so if he's back early that would be a considerable boost.

Gigena not getting called up certainly helps our forward options. As does Leatigaga playing both sides. Likely we'll need either Dimen or a short term loan to fill out the prop options until Genge is back.

1. Gigena, Bower
3. Cole, Heyes
Both. Leatigaga

Maybe borrow Heffernan from Notts as he got a good write up from the Championship last season at tighthead. Leatigaga can play loosehead and we have three options either side again. If the Championship starts up again we could loan Dimen to Notts to cover the Heffernan shaped hole in their front row.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

According to Fissler (I know).
Tigers looking for a
Tighthead
Loosehead
Fly Half
Outside Centre
Wing

For 2020/21 season latest.
Since then Bonilla signed.

The other week he said we are looking for a Loosehead and Ball Carrying lock to cover start of season.
Looking in SA and Aus mainly.
dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by dunc »

I assume we will be wanting to get any pending signings announced in the next week or so in order to get them into the country for the resumption of training.

I think we definitely need a second row and possibly an outside centre for injury cover. A Brad Thorn type signing would be ideal, gnarly, experienced, committed and able to do a job mentoring all the kids.

We look light at 12 as we don't seem to fancy Hardwick and need to have someone to provide Scott with some serious competition.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

dunc wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pm I assume we will be wanting to get any pending signings announced in the next week or so in order to get them into the country for the resumption of training.
Though if looking at short term cover then the Championship might be a good place to look.

Can we take Itoje on a short term loan?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

RunTigerRun wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:26 pm

I’ve seen Williams play 15 for Nottingham. Very good in the air and made some searing breaks. Don’t know about kicking from hand as the Notts back three were amongst the best in the league and ran most things - ironically!!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

dunc wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:38 pm I assume we will be wanting to get any pending signings announced in the next week or so in order to get them into the country for the resumption of training.

I think we definitely need a second row and possibly an outside centre for injury cover. A Brad Thorn type signing would be ideal, gnarly, experienced, committed and able to do a job mentoring all the kids.

We look light at 12 as we don't seem to fancy Hardwick and need to have someone to provide Scott with some serious competition.
Based on what RB is saying about us wanting a 13 not a 12 I think that means they see Taute primarily as a 12, primary back up to Scott.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Sorry to throw a dampener on things but in light of Peter's recent statement regarding finances and the possible legal costs, do we have any money available to sign any more players? I know Andrea said the money was there to spend up to the cap but things have moved on since then and I, for one, am really worried about our club's finances. We have furloughed some staff and who knows how long it will be before our main income stream resumes - can we afford to take the risk?
Hehehehehehehehe