LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm Kerr and maybe Mamu.
Thanks,who is our academy hooker? Have we one on the way through do you know ?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Archie Vanes who is very highly rated.
Not a dynamic hooker but more old school style meant to be very physical.

Was in rugbypass world school XV 2020
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/this-is- ... nextgenxv/
Last edited by RagingBull on Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm
Archie Vanes joined the development squad this season and is extremely talented. I was surprised he missed out on the recent England U20 squad. He's only 19 though.

If Kerr and Mamu go then I'd expect a senior hooker signing in the mould of Bower being signed at loosehead. If Ealing don't get promoted then Shaun Malton is a good hooker in the Championship for instance.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RB beat me to it!

I think Kerr will sign with Edinburgh but hope that Mamukashvili stays. He's a good hooker, won't take up too much cap and continuity would be a good thing.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks RB!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Great news I'm guessing we're possibly not paying him full whack for this season either as would have thought the whole point of not signing him till next year was due to cap constraints.

The other possibility (this is complete supposition) is that the case between us and some former players has now concluded and we after whatever agreement was reached we ended with a bit more cap space for this season than thought.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:04 pm Great news I'm guessing we're possibly not paying him full whack for this season either as would have thought the whole point of not signing him till next year was due to cap constraints.
Tom Youngs had originally been due to come out of contract at the end of 2020/21, Montoya had been in talks with Tigers for a long while about potentially joining for 2021/22.

Coronavirus has thrown things like that out of whack though with the cap coming down and players signing renegotiated contracts. Youngs for instance signed a new contract in March that will cover this season, despite already being in contract for this year. Presumably a significantly lower one as well with wages coming down as a whole due to covid and Youngs being a few years older than when he signed his previous deal.

I'm really excited to see Youngs in an impact sub role. I think he could thrive there and it will hopefully prolong his career if he so wishes.
Pundit

Post by Pundit »

Montoya is already here!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:29 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55654746

BBC has announced the news
Did I miss us announcing his signing? :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Nope.

But seems like it's been unconfirmed by people at the club to the Radio Leicester guys that he's already here.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:04 pm Great news I'm guessing we're possibly not paying him full whack for this season either as would have thought the whole point of not signing him till next year was due to cap constraints.
Tom Youngs had originally been due to come out of contract at the end of 2020/21, Montoya had been in talks with Tigers for a long while about potentially joining for 2021/22.

Coronavirus has thrown things like that out of whack though with the cap coming down and players signing renegotiated contracts. Youngs for instance signed a new contract in March that will cover this season, despite already being in contract for this year. Presumably a significantly lower one as well with wages coming down as a whole due to covid and Youngs being a few years older than when he signed his previous deal.

I'm really excited to see Youngs in an impact sub role. I think he could thrive there and it will hopefully prolong his career if he so wishes.
True I think Youngs as an impact sub can be huge, his experience at the business end of a tight match will be great, I think him moving to the bench can also prolong his career!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

1.Leatigaga 2.Youngs 3.Cole 4.Lavanini 5.Wells 6.Liebenberg 7.Reffell 8.Wiese
9.Wigglesworth 10.Henry 11.Nadolo 12.Scott 13.Moroni 14.van Wyk 15.Steward

16.Montoya 17.de Bruin 18.Heyes 19.Martin 20.Taufua 21.JvP 22.Bonilla 23.Murimurivalu

Tasty potential squad for the Sale game. With Marler back fit and on form there's a reasonable chance that Genge will be released for game time as well.

The options and depth during the Six Nations window should be incomparable to recent seasons.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:33 pm True I think Youngs as an impact sub can be huge, his experience at the business end of a tight match will be great, I think him moving to the bench can also prolong his career!
OTY will retire at the end of this season so great timing for Montoya and the club. Either Mamukashvili or Kerr will go as neither have featured or performed as well as Clare, who deservedly is a contender to share the No16 shirt for next season.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

This is a great signing and a real statement of intent.