LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:51 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:50 pm I am not looking for an inquest into how badly things were run before. Everything is forward looking for me now. It just beggars belief how McGinity and the team can put this squad together with less money to go around than before. In addition to which we now have a superb coaching team in place.

It's the sheer clarity and sense of purpose. Without even stepping onto the field I've got a sense already of how Tigers intend to play. Even the messaging from the club about Journey is clear and consistent - Joining the Journey - Akin to Saracens 'Something special is happening at Saracens' - and although Saracens got what they deserved in terms of salary cap breaches - I don't think anyone would deny they were superbly well coached and developed as players.

I'm not expecting us to win the Premiership next year. But I see no reason why this group of players, particularly with Youngs and Ford directing operations, will not be very very competitive.

Well done to everyone involved.
Covid most likely
You are the voice of wisdom on here. I mean that. But I think the explanation goes deeper than Covid.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Mark62 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 pm With the signing of Weise it occurred to me that our pack is going to be enormous, I split our forward squad into two pack and came up with a total first team weight of 923 kilos and for the second team pack 914 kilo, despite the second team front row being about 20 kilos ( mostly Leatigaga) heavier. I wondered what the heaviest Premiership pack was and found out that it was us when we played Saracens away earlier this year at 978 kilos, we lost that game but it was a good match and actually our forwards did pretty well. Maybe we are now going for mobility as well as size but with added nastiness.
I also think that weight doesn’t necessarily transfer to dynamic power, look at Jordan Taufua as an example, not the biggest of men, but boy does he pack a punch.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:24 pm With the signing of Weise it occurred to me that our pack is going to be enormous, I split our forward squad into two pack and came up with a total first team weight of 923 kilos and for the second team pack 914 kilo, despite the second team front row being about 20 kilos ( mostly Leatigaga) heavier. I wondered what the heaviest Premiership pack was and found out that it was us when we played Saracens away earlier this year at 978 kilos, we lost that game but it was a good match and actually our forwards did pretty well. Maybe we are now going for mobility as well as size but with added nastiness.
Batley and Spencer at second row, with a lock (Wells) in the back row. Leatigaga started and Heyes is a big bloke too.

I think it's the aggression and dynamism that is key, too often our bigger players haven't had that. Taufua isn't the biggest but has explosive power and that's what makes the difference - would he be more effective if he put on a stone or two? I expect it would be the opposite. Sometimes players can be so heavy that they are unable to use their weight effectively. It's a fine balance.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:30 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:50 pm I am not looking for an inquest into how badly things were run before. Everything is forward looking for me now. It just beggars belief how McGinity and the team can put this squad together with less money to go around than before. In addition to which we now have a superb coaching team in place.

It's the sheer clarity and sense of purpose. Without even stepping onto the field I've got a sense already of how Tigers intend to play. Even the messaging from the club about Journey is clear and consistent - Joining the Journey - Akin to Saracens 'Something special is happening at Saracens' - and although Saracens got what they deserved in terms of salary cap breaches - I don't think anyone would deny they were superbly well coached and developed as players.

I'm not expecting us to win the Premiership next year. But I see no reason why this group of players, particularly with Youngs and Ford directing operations, will not be very very competitive.

Well done to everyone involved.
Covid most likely
You are the voice of wisdom on here. I mean that. But I think the explanation goes deeper than Covid.
Not that much more deeper.
Pre Covid = Ford was worth around £550,000
Post Covid = around £320,000

Sure McGinity and Borthwick will help a lot.
But the economy has changed massively for rugby.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:23 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:30 pm

Covid most likely
Not that much more deeper.
Pre Covid = Ford was worth around £550,000
Post Covid = around £320,000

Sure McGinity and Borthwick will help a lot.
But the economy has changed massively for rugby.
For me the changes at the club go far deeper than the impact of Covid and players simply being worth less - that is the case, but that economic impact is not unique to Tigers. For me it starts with competence of the coaching and recruitment set up, which has clearly had a profound effect on recruitment, the ability to attract players. The acknowledgement (finally) that excellent players want excellent coaching. Also that the Academy has been rebuilt.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Picking on form & putting the square pegs in the square holes will go a long way, this really matters in the back row, we need the right balance connected with the holes lining up, no good picking what you think are you "best" players if you dont get the balance.

Certainly we should at home be picking a team that fits how we want to play, not stopping the opposition playing.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I applaud the new player recruitment -some great talent - but as we’ve all noticed it takes more than on-field talent to deliver an effective winning team.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Not sure it has been posted on here or confirmed elsewhere but Cameron Jordan is at Glaws.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 pm Not sure it has been posted on here or confirmed elsewhere but Cameron Jordan is at Glaws.
Yeh was posted a couple weeks ago I think.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

For the benefit of members I have used RB’s new senior squad intake and listed as to when they have arrived or due to arrived as this is more confusing than normal due to Covid.

Zack Henry (Arrived)
Shalva Mamukashvili (Still seeking visa as far as I’m aware)
Nemani Nadolo (Arrived)
Cyle Brink (Arrived but in rehab)
Matt Scott (Arrived)
Harry Potter (Arrived)
Blake Enever (Arrived)
David Williams (Arrived)
Luke Wallace (Arrived)
Guy Porter (Arrived)
Kobus Van Wyk (Final game for the Canes will be their next match so I assume he will be here mid-August)
Kini Murimurivalu (Due before August 15 )
Matias Moroni (Unsure due to future of Jaguares but could be not until December)
Jasper Wiese (Due end of October)

If I’m inaccurate please correct me!
Last edited by JP14 on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:29 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 pm Not sure it has been posted on here or confirmed elsewhere but Cameron Jordan is at Glaws.
Yeh was posted a couple weeks ago I think.
Ahh ok, my apologies.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 pm For the benefit of members I have used RB’s new senior squad intake and listed as to when they have arrived or due to arrived as this is more confusing than normal due to Covid.

Zack Henry (Arrived)
Nemani Nadolo (Arrived)
Matt Scott (Arrived)
Harry Potter (Arrived)
Blake Enever (Arrived)
David Williams (Arrived)
Luke Wallace (Arrived)
Guy Porter (Due before August 15)
Kobus Van Wyk (Final game for the Canes will be their next match so I assume he will be here mid-August)
Matias Moroni (Unsure due to future of Jaguares but could be not until December)

Not heard if Gigena has got his visa yet?
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

RichieB wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:37 pm
JP14 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:03 pm For the benefit of members I have used RB’s new senior squad intake and listed as to when they have arrived or due to arrived as this is more confusing than normal due to Covid.

Zack Henry (Arrived)
Nemani Nadolo (Arrived)
Matt Scott (Arrived)
Harry Potter (Arrived)
Blake Enever (Arrived)
David Williams (Arrived)
Luke Wallace (Arrived)
Guy Porter (Due before August 15)

Not heard if Gigena has got his visa yet?
He was one of those who signed an extension a week or so back so the assumption is that he must have a visa sorted out otherwise they'd not be able to extend his employment.
Mark62
Super User
Super User

Post by Mark62 »

I wasn’t aware of the issue with Mamukashvili, his signing was announced that long ago, you would have hoped all that would have been sorted.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Mark62 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:19 am I wasn’t aware of the issue with Mamukashvili, his signing was announced that long ago, you would have hoped all that would have been sorted.
From what has been said on LTTV with Geordan is that the issuing of visas has been an issue as the Embassies had closed down and the waiting time is longer than normal. This Covid has a lot to answer for!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk