LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Tigerbeat »

Coops wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:41 pm Also, suspect that he is still (theoretically) employed by Leicester Tigers but currently on "gardening leave" and working his notice.
Tigers' statement on his departure said: "Leicester Tigers can confirm that Jan McGinity will leave the club as head of elite performance recruitment.

No definitive date of him leaving was stated.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

His name was removed from the website
Richardfje

Post by Richardfje »

With a potential for Taufua and others leaving where would people most want to see the spare salary cap used?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:25 pm Looking at the online Tigers v Bath programmme on page 48 I notice that Jan McGinity is still listed as our Head of Elite Performance Recruitment, where as I'am delighted if he is still at Tigers but I read that he had unfortunately left the club.. could some one please advise? :smt017
I suspect no one’s noticed.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Richardfje wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 am With a potential for Taufua and others leaving where would people most want to see the spare salary cap used?
Depends who's in the others... I actually think we have a pretty good balance of a squad at the minute.

Personally I'd focus on a Crash ball centre.
We do have quality centres (Scott, Porter, Taute, Moroni...) but a gain line smashing centre is not one of them.

If De Bruin goes to Edinburgh, then depending on how well some of the young props go we need replacement there.

If Bonilla leaves then replacing him is also a priority as we need an extra FH other than Henry for when Ford is away, Hardwick appears disliked and McPhillps isn't quite there yet (and I don't know how cheaply we got Bonilla so we may need to pay a bit more to replace him)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Richardfje wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 am With a potential for Taufua and others leaving where would people most want to see the spare salary cap used?
Depends on the likely promotions from the development squad for me. I wouldn’t rush to spend big on someone if there are options elsewhere. Prospects in the development squad are brighter this year than previous arguably.

Back row for example has good depth already, even if Jordan leaves - but if Thom Smith for example is promoted, perhaps a good squad player or prospect player could be signed instead of big money signing.
Just my two cents though, of course would never say no to a bigger signing of the player and price is right!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Wouldn’t mind Thornley from Gloucester
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If there is spare cap (Not 100% sure on that).
I would like to see a prop or Hooker.

Players I could see going currently from the squad end of season
Bower
Coghlan
Bonilla
Enever
Hardwick
Kerr
Taufua
De Bruin (yeh all but confirmed before he even arrived)

Maybe's
Olowofela, Lewis, Mamu,

If those players go I would like to see
1x Tighthead
2x Hookers
1x 10
Maybe a back rower, in the Wallace type signing, championship player who won't cost too much someone like Burrows or Smid.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:29 am Wouldn’t mind Thornley from Gloucester
Thorely re-signed long term with Gloucester a few weeks ago I believe.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would also expect worth to go
A2O
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Maybe.
I just don't see Worth getting that much interest elsewhere but he is a handy squad type player.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

No big name signings required, unless there is a surprise departure. We have a few young prospects who may need to have more £££ chucked at them in the next 1-2 years and I would want to make sure we are able to do this.

I like the balance of the squad, there are no gaping holes other than in back up positions. Develop the youngsters, build on what we have and start planning for the departures of some of our older players.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Would try and get Freddie Steward and Martin tied up to long term deals
A2O
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

The areas of the squad I'd like to see addressed next are:
- second row, where I think we're a way behind the top teams in quality
- centres, where we've got some steady-eddies in defence but a lack of power/pace/guile
- back three, where we've quality players but a serious lack of pace
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'm more than happy with the back 3, don't think that needs much adjustment. In the backrow we don't need a star-signing should Taufua decide to depart but someone to stock the gap or his wage spent elsewhere, perhaps on giving Martin and Steward first team contracts.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni