LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:32 pm Might be worth keeping a eye on No.7s at the Scarlets, they have at least 3 good enough for the starting role.
At present it does look as if Costelow might of made an error, 4th choice at present.
Could be. I think that a lot will depend on how much Cubby is injured (he's quite injury prone - no surprise as a top jackaler) and or away with Wales. Yes Costelow will still be 3rd, but one (more) injury or just rotation will see him get a chance or two.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:23 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:32 pm Might be worth keeping a eye on No.7s at the Scarlets, they have at least 3 good enough for the starting role.
At present it does look as if Costelow might of made an error, 4th choice at present.
Could be. I think that a lot will depend on how much Cubby is injured (he's quite injury prone - no surprise as a top jackaler) and or away with Wales. Yes Costelow will still be 3rd, but one (more) injury or just rotation will see him get a chance or two.
Cubby when fit is just unreal at the breakdown & a fantastic link player, but he does seem to be struggling injury wise at the moment, McLeod is no mug either, but the new kid, Morgan, looks like he will give Reffell a run for his money for the Wales Jersey.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:40 pm
Cubby when fit is just unreal at the breakdown & a fantastic link player, but he does seem to be struggling injury wise at the moment, McLeod is no mug either, but the new kid, Morgan, looks like he will give Reffell a run for his money for the Wales Jersey.
Agreed. Morgan had a good game against Barf at the weekend. Could see him being picked up by another of the regions next season to get higher up the pecking order.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Am I missing something? Has Costelow converted to a flanker?
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:40 pm
Reffell’s light years away from the Welsh squad. He’s behind the three Scarlets, Navidi and Jenkins at the Blues, Tipuric, Basham at the Dragons. Then there’s Thomas Young and Dan Thomas also playing in the prem.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Loob19 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:25 pm By all accounts (The Rugby Paper) Bonilla is off at the end of the season - France is the suggested destination. That was short term!
He must have been reading some of your comments on here and decided that after only approx. 60 mins on the field, he's not welcome here. :smt017 :smt022 He looks a class player to me who just needs a bit of time to gain confidence in a strange country and with unfamiliar colleagues.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I wonder if we'll try and go shopping in Ireland. The IRFU have put contract negotiations on hold until at least January due to financial constraints. If there's any dual qualified players over there could be chance to tempt them over to England. Someone like Ben Healey the young Munster 10 who also qualifies for Scotland is one attracting a lot of interest.
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

LE18 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:41 pm
Loob19 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:25 pm By all accounts (The Rugby Paper) Bonilla is off at the end of the season - France is the suggested destination. That was short term!
He must have been reading some of your comments on here and decided that after only approx. 60 mins on the field, he's not welcome here. :smt017 :smt022 He looks a class player to me who just needs a bit of time to gain confidence in a strange country and with unfamiliar colleagues.
My comments? I don’t remember mentioning the fella on here!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Or he has been told he doesn't fit in SBs plan.
I'm not cynical just experienced
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I don't get people writing off Bonilla.

He's an international player who helped the Jaguares to the Super Rugby final.

With coaches leaving, he and Wigglesworth have been asked to help support in coaching (shows to me he's made an impression on SB)

He hasn't played any rugby since March till a couple of weeks back. Even then the season was cancelled after 6 games, of which he was out with an injury for 3 of them.

So basically barely played any rugby in 12 months.

He's just moved continents, don't know how fluent he is in the language and I imagine that calling backs moves etc is just that bit more complicated when you have to mentally translate things first.

All in all as a player we're nowhere near ready to judge him properly yet.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:46 pm I don't get people writing off Bonilla.

He's an international player who helped the Jaguares to the Super Rugby final.

With coaches leaving, he and Wigglesworth have been asked to help support in coaching (shows to me he's made an impression on SB)

He hasn't played any rugby since March till a couple of weeks back. Even then the season was cancelled after 6 games, of which he was out with an injury for 3 of them.

So basically barely played any rugby in 12 months.

He's just moved continents, don't know how fluent he is in the language and I imagine that calling backs moves etc is just that bit more complicated when you have to mentally translate things first.

All in all as a player we're nowhere near ready to judge him properly yet.
Agree with all of this. When we get more confidence in general, think he could be a great steerer of the ship from 10. Yet to see the best of Bonilla.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Loob19 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 pm
Loob19, please accept my apologies, I worded it badly, I was not referring to you, it was meant to be for those posters who had written him off after just 60 mins on the field, my apologies again.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would guess we got Bonilla on a cut price short term deal because he needed a club at very short notice. I doubt we can afford to keep someone of his experience and achievements as number 2/3 fly half in the long term.

That's the most sensible way to explain if he leaves at the end of the season, in my very humble opinion....
Loob19

Post by Loob19 »

LE18 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:13 pm
Loob19 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:02 pm

Loob19, please accept my apologies, I worded it badly, I was not referring to you, it was meant to be for those posters who had written him off after just 60 mins on the field, my apologies again.
👍 was a bit confused but no harm done
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Gloucester, Leicester, Edinbrugh also interested in Loosehead prop Boan Venter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weng_Lp-pQ4