LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

I mean there are some very promising younger 10's who might be worth looking at spending the Hardwick money on should he go.

When you think
Bonilla is 31
Ford is 27
Henry is 26
McPhillips is 23 (But looks just as much out of favour currently)

With no 10 in the development squad and Jack Vernum the only 10 in the academy in their final year.
There is a sizeable gap for a 18-20 year old with the chance of 3 years development and potential to have quite a opening by then.

Would it be more interesting to look at players like
Orlando Bailey (Bath)
George Barton (Gloucester)
Tom Curtis (Sale)
Charlie Atkinson (Wasps)
Fin Smith (Worcester)
All 18/19.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by ay2oh »

Hopefully Mcginity will be on top of this
A2O
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:06 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:55 pm

With the added strength of our squad I would let Worth, Hardwick and possibly Olowefia and Asplin-Robinson go
I think you need to take some water with whatever you’re drinking! :smt003
I'm with Ay2oh on this. I don't understand why fans seem to find it so difficult to accept when a Tigers youngster is simply not good enough, or not as good as others that we have.

If Hardwick had come through at another club, would we all be begging Tigers to sign him?
...not saying that the squad depth is not what we wanted, but there are ex Tigers players littering the Premiership, we failed to capitalise on the talent we had available.
They don't tend to come back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:31 am Rugby paper saying he wants to play 10.

Also randomly says Borthwick ludicrous decision not to say who’s injured makes finding out if a player is out of favour or not which I guess makes fiddlers job harder
Ahh so there is a positive side to Borthwick's decision then.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Everyone's favourite example Alex Lewington is clearly doing really well at Saracens, isn't he?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

How many ex-Tigers would be first choice if they returned to Leicester now? And of those, how many could we have kept without doing something detrimental to the club (e.g. paying too much money, playing them ahead of better players)?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I just wonder, looking back at the end of last season, if Murphy was pushing the likes of Hardwick, the development players etc etc and Borthwick didn't agree they were good enough, so to show who was right he picked them knowing we could not go down?
Hardwick and the rest are now so far down the pecking order, Borthwick obviously won that argument possibly leading towards Murphy's decision to leave.
Sadly I am in agreement, Worth, Olofolela, Hardwick, Asplin Robinson, possibly Lewis, are not going to make it past the players we have signed so they deserve to be allowed to leave if they can find new clubs. They are not quite good enough.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:06 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:01 pm
ay2oh wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:55 pm

With the added strength of our squad I would let Worth, Hardwick and possibly Olowefia and Asplin-Robinson go
I think you need to take some water with whatever you’re drinking! :smt003
I'm with Ay2oh on this. I don't understand why fans seem to find it so difficult to accept when a Tigers youngster is simply not good enough, or not as good as others that we have.

If Hardwick had come through at another club, would we all be begging Tigers to sign him?
Apologies. I was actually referring to the spelling of a couple of names.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

so kickstarter for Taufua?
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Have rated McGinty’s signings bar one.... Enever. Guy is supposed to be an international signing but he’s nowhere near the first team. What a waste of cap, we need players like him to step up when the internationals are away.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:23 pm so kickstarter for Taufua?
I'll chip in. Can we sell Bonilla to help raise funds?

All of a sudden I'm starting to think Hardwick is worth another chance as 3rd choice fly half...
shedhead1

Post by shedhead1 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:25 pm I mean there are some very promising younger 10's who might be worth looking at spending the Hardwick money on should he go.

When you think
Bonilla is 31
Ford is 27
Henry is 26

With no 10 in the development squad and Jack Vernum the only 10 in the academy in their final year.
There is a sizeable gap for a 18-20 year old with the chance of 3 years development and potential to have quite a opening by then.

Orlando Bailey (Bath)
Tom Curtis (Sale)
Charlie Atkinson (Wasps)
Fin Smith (Worcester)
All 18/19.

Shedhead 1 here:

Hands off George Barton please - one of the best young No 10s in the Country - local lad who has represented England U20s and has incredible pace and strength - one to watch for us!!

Cheers
Bob
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

shedhead1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:25 pm I mean there are some very promising younger 10's who might be worth looking at spending the Hardwick money on should he go.

When you think
Bonilla is 31
Ford is 27
Henry is 26

Orlando Bailey (Bath)
Tom Curtis (Sale)
Charlie Atkinson (Wasps)
Fin Smith (Worcester)
All 18/19.

Shedhead 1 here:

Hands off George Barton please - one of the best young No 10s in the Country - local lad who has represented England U20s and has incredible pace and strength - one to watch for us!!

Cheers
Bob
Are we going to see Barton play much for Gloucester? He seems to be seems to be behind Cipriani, Evans and Twelvetrees as options at 10.

Before Murphy left he said Hardwick was concentrating on playing 12 which makes sense. I presume he'll go through a bulking phase with Walters so that he can adjust to the rigours of managing the midfield defence. Should hopefully come back into team later on. Well if he plans to stay. I don't think we need to look for another development 10. Wait and see what goes on elsewhere. Who looks good but is fed up with the lack of opportunities or isn't developing as expected, it's the Leicester City method of picking up talented young players that would otherwise be expensive acquisitions. We've got four flyhalfs there's no rush. We might even convince young Mr Costelow he's made a terrible mistake and bring him back, Scarlets aren't showing him much game time.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

shedhead1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:04 pm

When you think
Bonilla is 31
Ford is 27
Henry is 26

Orlando Bailey (Bath)
Tom Curtis (Sale)
Charlie Atkinson (Wasps)
Fin Smith (Worcester)
All 18/19.

Shedhead 1 here:

Cheers
Bob
Barton will do what Underhill, Randall, Vellacott, Protheroe,Thomas etc had to do. Move to get game time and look at those guys now.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

"We might even convince young Mr Costelow he's made a terrible mistake and bring him back, Scarlets aren't showing him much game time."
I said at the time that Parc y Scarlets can be a graveyard for talent. There is also a disintegrating lower tier to farm out to, but not the best environment for someone who has international aspirations.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.