LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

SthrnTiger

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by SthrnTiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 am might be a symptom of our first choice 10 being an issue when it comes to the number 12 shirt.
What do you mean by that? Is it that we need a 12 whose a good defender? Though I literally can’t think of a decent 12 who isn’t great in defence.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's just not very obvious what sort of 12 Ford will play best with & then if that works for the team as a whole, I personally think as much as being part of the solution, he might be part of the problem.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Is Taufua a marquee?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:50 am It's just not very obvious what sort of 12 Ford will play best with & then if that works for the team as a whole, I personally think as much as being part of the solution, he might be part of the problem.
All I'd say is, I've seen incredible performances from Ford with many different 12's outside him. I've yet to see anything outstanding from Hardwick. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to Hardwick, the problem is Hardwick, not George Ford!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

My point on Ford is they are often good individual performances not necessarily team ones.
I think Hardwick thinks he is better than he actually is at moment.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I've always thought Hardwick had ability but he thought he was better than he was. Even when he signed a new contract a few years back there seemed to be a lot of bluster about the sort of contract he thought he deserved (in terms of ££££)

For me, he'd be best utilised in the centre but we've never given him game time there with Ford at 10. He's also not shone consistently when he's had time at 10 or 12 and his role in the pecking order, which as others have said is way down the depth chart, then a move away is probably the best thing for all concerned.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Absolutely no doubt that Taufua will be on his way at the end of this season. Suspect that’s why we signed Wiese. Would love to keep him but would imagine hat we can’t compete with the money french clubs can offer.
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am I've always thought Hardwick had ability but he thought he was better than he was. Even when he signed a new contract a few years back there seemed to be a lot of bluster about the sort of contract he thought he deserved (in terms of ££££)

For me, he'd be best utilised in the centre but we've never given him game time there with Ford at 10. He's also not shone consistently when he's had time at 10 or 12 and his role in the pecking order, which as others have said is way down the depth chart, then a move away is probably the best thing for all concerned.
This is pure hearsay but from a usually reliable source, not prone to exaggerating. Some time ago was chatting to him in a local pub and he said he was only at Tigers for the money. I suspect he is not alone and he would have to go down to the championship in whatever form it re-emerges in and there would be much less money there. Can't see him being high on any other club's must sign list even though he is linked to Brissie
Hehehehehehehehe
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:55 am Is Taufua a marquee?
Probably but we don't know. Ford will certainly be first marquee after his new contract and Manu moving on.

Then I'd guess that Taufua is earning more than Lavanini or Nadolo so he'd be the second marquee that has to be signed from outside the Premiership.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:24 am Taufua would be a huge loss, we need his mate Nemani to work on him, but you got the feeling it was touch & go earlier this year about him staying.
It sounded like Taufua would have been off to Beziers during the contract renegotiation's due to covid had the takeover not fallen through.

All three of Hamish Watson, Jamie Ritchie and Bill Mata are out of contract at Edinburgh, I highly doubt they will re-sign all three. Any of those would be good back row signings. Ritchie is a brilliant young player.

I wouldn't mind the money being directed at a lock though. Someone like Ruan Botha.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:41 am
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:08 am I've always thought Hardwick had ability but he thought he was better than he was. Even when he signed a new contract a few years back there seemed to be a lot of bluster about the sort of contract he thought he deserved (in terms of ££££)

This is pure hearsay but from a usually reliable source, not prone to exaggerating. Some time ago was chatting to him in a local pub and he said he was only at Tigers for the money. I suspect he is not alone and he would have to go down to the championship in whatever form it re-emerges in and there would be much less money there. Can't see him being high on any other club's must sign list even though he is linked to Brissie
I'm happy to see players playing for each other and the shirt. Sometimes to get that you need to cut out some of the non-team players.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

This is the type of thing Borthwick obviously wants to stamp out early on. Taufua, was as close to off as you’ll get, and I suspect Hardwick has shown that type of attitude which has sidelined him. No coincidence that we signed heavily in these areas.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby paper saying he wants to play 10.

Also randomly says Borthwick ludicrous decision not to say who’s injured makes finding out if a player is out of favour or not which I guess makes fiddlers job harder
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

That said, I’m sure we’ll all want to keep Taufua if we can.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

anz3001 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 am

This is the type of thing Borthwick obviously wants to stamp out early on. Taufua, was as close to off as you’ll get, and I suspect Hardwick has shown that type of attitude which has sidelined him. No coincidence that we signed heavily in these areas.
Think there's a difference. Taufua may be after the most money which may mean he's off at the end of the season, but you know he'll put his body on the line for the club for as long as he's here.

I'm not saying others won't too but it's been the case in the past once others have got their new contract lined up they tend to try and protect themselves for a new club
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.