LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Wasn’t there talk of looking to add a prop or two, some second row (cover for Lavanini), a fly half and outside centre?
De Bruin & Bonilla have arrived, but nobody else. Now the season has started, will that likely be our lot for now?
Although South Africa clubs seem to be haemorrhaging players, maybe there’s a player or two in McGinity’s favourite scouting ground.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

If memory serves me right the piece read more for next season with the hope of signing some for this.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With de Bruin & Leatigaga both able to play both sides we should have enough cover for that. 2nd row was only ever an injury cover with Martin & Lavannini out so till the new year.
Outside centre was also only really spoken about after Moroni got injured, with him being on his way plus rumoured to be ahead of injury recovery schedule and seeing a renaissance from Taute & Murimurivalu who can play 13 likely back soon means we're not as desperate at all. With the depth we currently have I can now I think squad additions are now nice to have's not desperate requirements.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

The young lad Kelly came on at the weekend and looked comfortable as well. Cut Woodward down on the angle for the Taute turnover. Good OC defence. We might keep our powder dry and wait to see how badly we are hit by the next round of internationals during the 6N and any further injuries.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

At the present time, I would not be worrying about any other signings except if a real bargain came along. We are well served in most areas with a variety of options with the possible exception of 2nd row but I am not even sure we need anyone there. Money is not endless and in the current situation needs to be a consideration.
Hehehehehehehehe
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

At present there are going to members of our playing squad that are unlikely to play a game for sometime, taking more on seems financially daft idea, we might just have to shuffle about a bit to cover any holes, whilst trying to keep the square pegs in the square holes etc..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well it depends.
1, Who might be available
2. How much we have to play with
3. Current needs
4. Who is likely to be off next season
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:57 am The young lad Kelly came on at the weekend and looked comfortable as well. Cut Woodward down on the angle for the Taute turnover. Good OC defence. We might keep our powder dry and wait to see how badly we are hit by the next round of internationals during the 6N and any further injuries.

Kelly was excellent, and although the cameras focussed on Taute, it was he who cut Woodward down and Kelly who made a magnificent turnover.

One ruck turnover, one maul turnover and an intercept. Not bad going for Kelly’s cameo at the end.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:13 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:57 am The young lad Kelly came on at the weekend and looked comfortable as well. Cut Woodward down on the angle for the Taute turnover. Good OC defence. We might keep our powder dry and wait to see how badly we are hit by the next round of internationals during the 6N and any further injuries.

Kelly was excellent, and although the cameras focussed on Taute, it was he who cut Woodward down and Kelly who made a magnificent turnover.

One ruck turnover, one maul turnover and an intercept. Not bad going for Kelly’s cameo at the end.
I thought Kelly made the tackle and Taute got in over the top quickly joined by Kelly. Whichever way round it was good defence. Impressed by the body positions in tackle and turnover as well as the speed the tackler was up and competing. Kelly certainly came on and looked like he fitted in.

Three 19/20 year olds in the team at the weekend. I like the way we are developing talent as well as buying it. Just hope it can continue for the rest of the season.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:48 pm
I thought Kelly made the tackle and Taute got in over the top quickly joined by Kelly. Whichever way round it was good defence.
That’s what the commentator said, and the cameraman thought, but it was the other way around. :smt003 Charlie Morgan covers it nicely in his analysis in The Telegraph. :smt001

As you say, great defence.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby paper has
Bristol, Gloucester and Grenoble taking interest in Tom Hardwick
Lyon after Taufua
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:09 am Rugby paper has
Bristol, Gloucester and Grenoble taking interest in Tom Hardwick
Lyon after Taufua
Are they both out of contract at the end of this season? If so I'm sure they'll both leave. Strongly suspect Taufua only stayed for this season because it was too late to find anyone else who would pay him as much as he was originally on at Tigers. Hardwick looks well down the pecking order - 4/5th choice fly half and 3rd/4th choice 12? I'd be surprised to see him again in a Tigers shirt unless we have an injury crisis.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Could well be difficult to hold on to Taufua beyond his present deal taking into account the circumstances surrounding his re-signing.He was apparently signed and sealed for Beziers in France but this went south along with French clubs proposed UAE take over prior to the start of the season.Irrespective , we are well stocked in the back row and though in terms of quality and ability we would wish to keep him his heart has to be here,
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I'd love to keep Taufua, but with Wiese, Brink, Liebenberg, Reffell, Wallace plus some other really promising development guys like Smith, it's not the devastating news it was when rumour had him leaving with TV and the others.

Hardwick, now 5th choice Fly half behind Ford, Henry, Bonilla & McPhillips seems to gone ahead of him.

He's also 5th choice at 12 you have Scott, Porter, Taute & Kelly ahead of him, but he's slightly more likely to play here given how one of these may be needed at 13 (though more options are coming available soon in Moroni & Murimurivalu)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Taufua would be a huge loss, we need his mate Nemani to work on him, but you got the feeling it was touch & go earlier this year about him staying.
As for Hardwick, maybe he needs to move, the lad is obviously talented, a little inconsistent, but has never had a run in the first team, might be a symptom of our first choice 10 being an issue when it comes to the number 12 shirt.
To win is not as important as playing with style!