LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerbeat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Tigerbeat »

ads wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:38 am Assuming if he's a player coach, or coach available for playing if required, some of his salary would not count towards the cap?
If he is classed as a player, all his salary will be included in the Cap is my understanding.........you are either classed as a player or a coach for salary cap purposes.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:25 am
ads wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:38 am Assuming if he's a player coach, or coach available for playing if required, some of his salary would not count towards the cap?
If he is classed as a player, all his salary will be included in the Cap is my understanding.........you are either classed as a player or a coach for salary cap purposes.
And I suspect the club would want it this way having laid off the SH coach (which of course is from a different budget).
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

If a coach is also listed as a player then all his salary would be included in the playing cap.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm If a coach is also listed as a player then all his salary would be included in the playing cap.
I may be wrong but wasn't that particular rule brought in after a lot of Saracens players were listed as player coaches so at the time not all their wages went towards the cap (or is that just one of those rumours you hear floating around)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:04 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:01 pm If a coach is also listed as a player then all his salary would be included in the playing cap.
I may be wrong but wasn't that particular rule brought in after a lot of Saracens players were listed as player coaches so at the time not all their wages went towards the cap (or is that just one of those rumours you hear floating around)
Remember something about Simon Mannix I think on those lines.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:22 pm
Remember something about Simon Mannix I think on those lines.
Just to be clear, before people start reading this and thinking Saracens were breaking the cap 20 years ago with Simon Mannix, he never played for Saracens so if there was a situation as described above with him it would have been at Gloucester.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Sorry should of pointed out it wasn't related to Sarries.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

There were so many loop holes in the original salary cap. Which is one reason why no one was punished in 2015 as almost every club was utilising at least one loop hole to break the cap, with a few significantly.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I seem to remember London Irish complaining about it when Mike Catt was there at the end of his playing career and was their attack coach but still playing. All his salary was going into the cap.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Cheers for the clarification all.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

One of those anomaly situations where those clubs who genuinely employ someone as a player coach are punished particularly if the player is at the end of the career and playing relatively little game time.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Are we likely to see any more new signings before the season starts?

I assume not and we have what we have until 2021/22 but perhaps others will be better placed to advise?
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:46 pm Rather Ackermann than Murphy. People conveniently forgetting The Lions. Ok he didn’t win anything but where he got them to from where he started with them will eclipse anything Murphy will EVER do in coaching!
But ultimately he won nothing.
happywomble

Post by happywomble »

Mike Ford mentioned as possible candidate for Wales defence coach position?..

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... h-19256550
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:41 pm Are we likely to see any more new signings before the season starts?

I assume not and we have what we have until 2021/22 but perhaps others will be better placed to advise?
I think we may get one or two more. Probably not before the start of the season. I think we're primarily looking at South African players who's season is now due to end 21st November.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.