LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by TA30 »

All rumour but:
Luan de Bruin has been named on twitter as a tighthead we and Edinburgh are looking at from Cheetahs. Came from someone with close links to cheetahs who broke the wiese news.

The eggchasers pod suggested strongly that wigglesworth will be announced to us soon, rather than Sale. He was suggested as an idea earlier in this chat. He knows borthwick very well from Saracens and England, would raise standards across the squad and would likely be a step into coaching for him.. with his rugby intellect I would welcome the move. So it's probably not true..
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by MurphysLaw »

Whilst it is a shame to hear of Rob Taylor needing to leave, and I am sure we all wish him and his family well, it is incredibly frustrating to, once again, have significant change within the coaching staff.Interim stand-ins for Rob and Boris are all very well, but new permanent replacements will need to come and bed-in....again. It must be unsettling to the players.
I am struggling to remember when Tigers last had a period of stability on that front
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

MurphysLaw wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:11 am Whilst it is a shame to hear of Rob Taylor needing to leave, and I am sure we all wish him and his family well, it is incredibly frustrating to, once again, have significant change within the coaching staff.Interim stand-ins for Rob and Boris are all very well, but new permanent replacements will need to come and bed-in....again. It must be unsettling to the players.
I am struggling to remember when Tigers last had a period of stability on that front
Borthwick has brought a welcome intensity to proceedings at Oval Park and Welford Road.

Some - players, coaches and others - may find it hard to live with.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:43 am
MurphysLaw wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:11 am Whilst it is a shame to hear of Rob Taylor needing to leave, and I am sure we all wish him and his family well, it is incredibly frustrating to, once again, have significant change within the coaching staff.Interim stand-ins for Rob and Boris are all very well, but new permanent replacements will need to come and bed-in....again. It must be unsettling to the players.
Borthwick has brought a welcome intensity to proceedings at Oval Park and Welford Road.

I welcome success and find that very easy to live with it :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote=strawclearer post_id=756306 time=1604490239 user_id=9931]
[quote=MurphysLaw post_id=756304 time=1604488279 user_id=3365]
Whilst it is a shame to hear of Rob Taylor needing to leave, and I am sure we all wish him and his family well, it is incredibly frustrating to, once again, have significant change within the coaching staff.Interim stand-ins for Rob and Boris are all very well, but new permanent replacements will need to come and bed-in....again. It must be unsettling to the players.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? I find it difficult to believe that Boris in particular has left because of the intensity of the training regime.
And even so, whatever the reasons, we still have upheaval and another disrupted pre-season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Honestly if Boris did go back to NZ (Not sure), I wouldn't be surprised if Covid might have played a part.
When you look at NZ and the UK currently I know what I would rather.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:53 pm Honestly if Boris did go back to NZ (Not sure), I wouldn't be surprised if Covid might have played a part.
When you look at NZ and the UK currently I know what I would rather.
I was thinking similar with Rob Taylor to be honest.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

TA30 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:45 am All rumour but:
Luan de Bruin has been named on twitter as a tighthead we and Edinburgh are looking at from Cheetahs. Came from someone with close links to cheetahs who broke the wiese news.

The eggchasers pod suggested strongly that wigglesworth will be announced to us soon, rather than Sale. He was suggested as an idea earlier in this chat. He knows borthwick very well from Saracens and England, would raise standards across the squad and would likely be a step into coaching for him.. with his rugby intellect I would welcome the move. So it's probably not true..
Wigglesworth.... hmmm 2 weeks ago I would have loved to have him as backup SH & doing some coaching... now with an RFU charge, possible ban, plus I find what he and the others did pretty awful, I'd probably pass on him now.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Richard Wigglesworth signed great signing that
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I wonder if it’s in a similar unofficial player/coach capacity like Jean de Villiers in 2016.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Oh good, a 37 year old salary cap cheat who can't follow covid guidelines, just what we need.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

CitizenSmiff wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:43 pm Oh good, a 37 year old salary cap cheat who can't follow covid guidelines, just what we need.
Did he come for a medical and bring Covid to the club with him? :smt018
Louis

Post by Louis »

Where's Wigglesworth going to play?

Behind Youngs?

Behind Youngs and White?

Behind Youngs and White and Simmons?

I'm happy we're signing a good player, but I think we have, if not an embarrassment of riches at 9, at least a decent showing. Sure he could cover when Youngs is with England, but can't White or Simmons? Bring the younger players on a bit. I'm not sure this is where I'd place my money, but then I am not a Director of Rugby or Head Coach at a world leading rugby club.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well since Simmons played all his rugby last season on the wing (and did well) so is it really an embarrassment of riches?
Louis

Post by Louis »

Good point.

So Wiggy behind Youngs and White in your opinion?